Frank Lampard

Tooj

Guest nufc_geordie

I'm coinvinced people are missing the point about Lampard again in this thread. Last night he only touched the ball once in the first half, that was when he scored. He hid and didn't get involoved in the game. Even in the second half when Chelsea were more dominant he wasn't involved in the game until he hit the bar.

I will grant that his runs are well timed (he would never have scored last night 99/100 as van Der Sar wouldn't have slipped) but to carry a player so much in big games doesn't work. I honestly reckon he is only an average player in a good side. If he was put in poorer side he wouldn't look the superstar, whereas Gerrard, Scholes, Rooney etc. would.

Guest guinness_fiend

I'm coinvinced people are missing the point about Lampard again in this thread. Last night he only touched the ball once in the first half, that was when he scored. He hid and didn't get involoved in the game. Even in the second half when Chelsea were more dominant he wasn't involved in the game until he hit the bar.

I will grant that his runs are well timed (he would never have scored last night 99/100 as van Der Sar wouldn't have slipped) but to carry a player so much in big games doesn't work. I honestly reckon he is only an average player in a good side. If he was put in poorer side he wouldn't look the superstar, whereas Gerrard, Scholes, Rooney etc. would.

His goal gave Chelski a lifeline and turned the game around, as they dominated in the second half.  He also scored a penalty in a Champions League Final.  Which 'golden boy' Ronaldo could not manage.  He is constantly in the right place in the right time.  Which is the mark of a great player.  He is not particularly flash, just reliable with a touch of class.

I cannot believe the stick that the lad gets, to be honest.  Non of our *strikers* have looked capable of scoring twenty goals a season over the last few years and Lampard seems to do it for fun. 

What does he have to do to impress people?!

"What does he have to do to impress people?!"

play well for england, his performances since japan 02 have been woeful.  maybe he needs to fake looking industrious, but his lazy approach to being a midfield workhorse is certianly more likely to score him the derby cup in the donkey stakes!

needs to smile more too.

"What does he have to do to impress people?!"

play well for england, his performances since japan 02 have been woeful.  maybe he needs to fake looking industrious, but his lazy approach to being a midfield workhorse is certianly more likely to score him the derby cup in the donkey stakes!

needs to smile more too.

You could put the exact same accusations against Gerrard in an England Shirt.

Guest teepee

his goal tonight was lucky tbf

so were many of shearer's - that didn't make him any less of a goal scorer

fact is, lampard is a great player with a nose for goal that very few midfielders have.

Guest Stephen927

Thought Lampard had a decent game, faded at times but so would many midfielders when the ball is being hoofed up to Drogba.

Well lets see, the ball deflected off a manure player, hit another manure defenders back and fell right in front of Lampard while at exactly the same time the keeper slipped right in front of him... nah nothing lucky about it :lol:

Not saying I subscribe to him being a super lucky player, but that goal was amazingly lucky.

Well lets see, the ball deflected off a manure player, hit another manure defenders back and fell right in front of Lampard while at exactly the same time the keeper slipped right in front of him... nah nothing lucky about it :lol:

Not saying I subscribe to him being a super lucky player, but that goal was amazingly lucky.

Like Owen's lucky header against Sunderland, where the ball just happened to go towards where he was running.

• 1 year later...

Well that settles it, best English midfielder.

Hopefully Capello tries starting him in his proper position. If he does then we will do well.

This seasons stats

Played: 57

Goals: 33

Assists: 15

And god knows how many goals he has contributed to.

Guest BooBoo

Fantastic player, hope he can deliver thus summer for England.

He generally seems to carry himself with a bit of class too.

Guest elbee909

Hopefully Capello tries starting him in his proper position. If he does then we will do well.

This seasons stats

Well, 15 at a guess.

This seasons stats

Well, 15 at a guess.

Ronaldo will know.

Guest Stephen927

There used to be a time where the Gerrard v Lampard debate was reasonably close but Lamps is streets ahead now. If he was foreign he would be rated even higher.

Guest elbee909

Only Xavi is better as a CM, i'd give my right nut for a player like Lampard.

We do, we've got Nolan.

Does this mean Ronaldo has to cut off his right bollock?

Only Xavi is better as a CM, i'd give my right nut for a player like Lampard.

Different players wouldn't you say? Like to think Lampard pushes forward alot more, effectively a deep-lying forward.

In that sense, yes you are correct. Xavi can dictate a whole game from a very deep position.