Chelsea sack Avram Grant. Ten Cate gone too?

Guest K9

Really liked grant. Did a good job, didn't deserve the shit he got tbh. Good luck to him, hope he stays in the english game.

I think the only reason that Chelsea fans didnt take to him is because he wasnt Mourinho. Anyone taking over after Jose, especially after the way he was sacked was doomed to fail, as he was so popular with the fans & didnt deserved to be sacked, like Grant.

My hate for Chelsea grows everyday, the sooner Abramovich fucks off the better.

Aye, never thought much of them really until I was in the Strawberry on the last home game before the match and some of there fans were in there acting as if they were the Krays.

Would people say that overall Roman has spoilt football by making it ALL about how much you spend and in essence making the top 4? Or has he improved it by bringing the quality of player to the premiership that wasnt prevalent before he came to england?

Would people say that overall Roman has spoilt football by making it ALL about how much you spend and in essence making the top 4? Or has he improved it by bringing the quality of player to the premiership that wasnt prevalent before he came to england?

If it wasn't him someone else would have invested, maybe not so greatly but it was always coming. Football (English) at the time had just got over the ITV digital crisis and financially was on a poor footing, plenty of teams with massive uncertain futures, no you can say but so what, Chelsea wasn't one of them? But money filters down, and Chelsea's big spending has attracted more fans and viewers to the league, and that gives the prem better financial clout which again filters down. Overall the transfer market was dying until his money ignited it again.

IMO overall he's been a good thing for the English game, a bigger positive than a negative, it's just a shame he picked the biggest bunch of twats to invest in to, if Liverpool had nailed that final CL spot on the last day of the season it would have been them he was going to buy. Don't know if that is a shame or not tbh.

I was thinking about it, I don't think any fan would really complain if Ashley had come in and instantly giving us 200m or whatever to spend and we'd done similar to what Chelsea did, however, wouldn't it be awful if we ended up with glory fans like Chelsea, I'd then actually despise sets of our supporters.

Guest Knightrider

I'll tell you what Grant has done, he's shown that you don't have to be a great manager with bags of experience necessarily to do reasonably well in the Premier League. He achieved more than Wenger and Benitez in what was his debut season in finishing 2nd and reaching two Cup finals.

With a good team, KK can do well for NUFC if Grant can do well for Chelsea, an average manager I thought. Seemed a canny character though and Chelsea really are a dispicable club. I hope what goes round comes round for them.

Would love it if Abramovic fucked off.

Guest Knightrider

I was thinking about it, I don't think any fan would really complain if Ashley had come in and instantly giving us 200m or whatever to spend and we'd done similar to what Chelsea did, however, wouldn't it be awful if we ended up with glory fans like Chelsea, I'd then actually despise sets of our supporters.

I wouldn't like that to happen to us if I'm being honest. I'm probably being daft I know but I still believe the Premier League can be won without having to buy it Abramovic style. Takes a good manager, a good board and strong progress in squad investment and you need a solid base to start from. Had Chelsea been where we are today when Abramovic came, I doubt Mourinho would have had the same success. He inherited a very strong squad with top players throughout, successful players who had qualified for the CL and won silverware recently.

But it's clearly Mourinho's team. Had he done shite, everyone would have said, "not his players", but he did well, so all the credit goes to him? Incidently, didn't Benitez win the CL in his first season? :lol: With a definitely worse team than Chelsea's.

Guest Knightrider

But it's clearly Mourinho's team.  Had he done shite, everyone would have said, "not his players", but he did well, so all the credit goes to him?  Incidently, didn't Benitez win the CL in his first season? :lol:  With a definitely worse team than Chelsea's.

I'm talking about this season Bluf, Grant in his debut season finished above Benitez and Wenger, two great managers. I take your point about it being Mourinho's team but Chelsea under Grant were different to Mourinho's Chelsea, more open and more expressive on the ball. He's obviously had some kind of impact to keep them going as they did. Anyway my original point was that if Grant can finish second in the Premier League with a good team and get to 2 cup finals despite being fairly average and inexperienced, it gives the rest hope for me, or should do. Obviously Chelsea are a very good team with top players that cost a lot of money, but the sentiment stands.

If it wasn't him someone else would have invested, maybe not so greatly but it was always coming. Football (English) at the time had just got over the ITV digital crisis and financially was on a poor footing, plenty of teams with massive uncertain futures, no you can say but so what, Chelsea wasn't one of them? But money filters down, and Chelsea's big spending has attracted more fans and viewers to the league, and that gives the prem better financial clout which again filters down. Overall the transfer market was dying until his money ignited it again.

IMO overall he's been a good thing for the English game, a bigger positive than a negative, it's just a shame he picked the biggest bunch of twats to invest in to, if Liverpool had nailed that final CL spot on the last day of the season it would have been them he was going to buy. Don't know if that is a shame or not tbh.

But isnt it the amount that he invested that is the key - saying someone would of done it eventually but not as much is not really the point, no one has come near the sort of numbers that Roman has spent and its becasue of the amount that he spent that made the PL instantly more attractive to foriegn viewers- hence the TV money which prompted the current influx of new owners. This is what i mean - in one sense he attracted one of the best ever managers to the premiership and was therefore instrumental in raising the standards and quality of english football - much in the same way Wenger did when he was appointed.

Thats one side of the argument but on the flipside he's created what seems to be an unpenetrable top4 which has a monopoly on every single player out there, it sems that there bench is more appealing than the rest's first team. This sort of monolpoly is creating a big bridge in quality between those below the top4 which gets harder and harder to breach each day - thus making the premiership a non competition.

Hmm we'll see about "unpenetratable top 4" in a few seasons - Liverpool are in deep internal warfare, Mad Sir Alex and the Frenchman will retire shortly and Mr Abra-Mo-vitch may fall foul of Moscow or his jet may explode for no apparent reason

Guest Strunz

There's something dodgy about our Roman - I'm sorry, but anyone who gets that rich, that quickly, that young, in one of the most cut throat economies in the world.

Hmmmm

But I guess we'll have any fucker in this country if the price is right

Guest elbee909

There's something dodgy about our Roman - I'm sorry, but anyone who gets that rich, that quickly, that young, in one of the most cut throat economies in the world.

You think?  No way, surely not etc.