Euro 96

James

I think its all about generations really but while Euro 96 was fantastic, for me, Italia 90 is the best tournament that I have enjoyed.

Gazza emerging on the world scene was a joy to behold

My first ever REAL football memory is when I was about 8, and I was sitting in front of the telly in floods of tears as we lost on pens in Italia 90.

:weep:

Guest BooBoo

It was generally low quality football and most of the group stage games didnt sell out due to the FAs greedy pricing. England were good but overall it was a fairly forgettable comp. The next one in the low countries was vastly superior.

It was generally low quality football and most of the group stage games didnt sell out due to the FAs greedy pricing. England were good but overall it was a fairly forgettable comp. The next one in the low countries was vastly superior.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1558683.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A66CDA581C7AA1BDFD9930FDCFC4C15FBB

One of Shearer's finest moments playing for England and actually his last great moment playing for England, scoring the only goal when we FINALLY beat Germany!!

What a great night I had that evening in Bar Oz in Whitley.

Shame we were otherwise shite in that tourney.

Guest Mcdonald36

How can England not have qualified for the Euros this summer. Absolute nightmare. I was really looking forward to it.

We were never going to win EURO 2008 anyway so I don't see why everyone is so bothered. Its good to see fans in the stands and not corporate folk.

Thats easy to say mate but you never know we may have fluked it ala Greece in 2004 or Pompey in this years FA Cup.

Gotta be in it to win it and all that.......

Tbh I think missing out will help English football in the long run. The fact the team failed to qualify was the kick up the arse the national team needed. New manager and getting the youth through etc. Wether we will win something in the coming years i'm not so sure, but it still stops the people who think England are class and should win everything getting gobby. I would like us to be in Euro 2008, but we're not, hopefully spain will win it though.

We were never going to win EURO 2008 anyway so I don't see why everyone is so bothered. Its good to see fans in the stands and not corporate folk.

Thats easy to say mate but you never know we may have fluked it ala Greece in 2004 or Pompey in this years FA Cup.

Gotta be in it to win it and all that.......

You know who would still be Manager, though?

Are we the only ones excited about the friendly tomorrow?

I certainly believe it's a long term benefit not having qualified, if anything it got rid of McClaren. But it's always great seeing those stands full of white shirts and banners, flags the lot even though apparently only 10k odd tickets should have been available.

Will be a shame not seeing that this Summer.

I just love that the whole country goes mad for a few weeks, it'll be a big miss that's for sure. Still, I'd rather miss out on the Euro's than the World Cup, so don't fuck up again you bunch of tossers. Please.

I have a feeling like the rest of Europe, with the exception of the Jormans, don't really look back on this tournament the way the English do.  The group stages were good, but there were very few goals scored in the knockout rounds, and the tournament sort of ground to a halt, and of course it had to be Germany to win it at that point.

Des: Who would have taken the 7th penalty, had it got that far

Terry: That will always remain a secret.

Why? Southgate admitted he'd never even bothered practising them the day before, Anderton and McManaman were still on the pitch and we'd used none of our subs, so in the last few minutes we could have brought on Fowler, Barmby (who would have taken the next against Spain according to Venables) or Sir Les. Piss boiling.

Guest BigAl2

if only it had been shearer sliding in on the end of gazza's cross not the other way around.

either that or if gazza had bigger feet...

Or if the booze was not starting to take its toll!!