Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

:lol: so which is it NE5?

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

EDIT: also meant to say in that last part about his career appearing to be on the decline as well, but forgot

The club has been on the decline since the appointment of Souness. What I mean by that is our league finishes have been largely shit since SBR's last season in charge. Ashley, Keegan and co have come into this club well aware of the need to REBUILD its stature. No wonder players turn us down when they have witnessed the last 3 or 4 years of total shambles.

Well the reason they not coming is because we don´t have the fat fred at the club that just give every player we wanted the kind of money they wanted. Luque said himself that it was the money that made him come in the first place. do we want too have it like this? PLayers that sit by their money and don´t care a shit about the club.

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

Or perhaps we were never interested in Aimar, Woodgate had already agreed to go to Spurs before Keegan came calling, and Modric was made to go to Spurs because the Mamic brothers could get a bigger slice of the cake.

so does that still make NE5 wrong then? 

and if we were interested in Aimar James?  just if, and he rejected us for benfica what does it say to you anything, nothing?

how long do we keep losing out on players before it becomes a pattern of failure and rejection?  this is ashleys 3rd transfer window by the way

i know one thing, if FS was still chairman he'd be getting torn apart by the people on here for signing a liverpool cast off and a "free" winger from mallorca

Phil Brown after talking to Djimi Traore;

"I spoke to the player, and I was interested, but he made reference to wanting to stay in France," said Brown. "He said he would, of course, come to England if we were available as a second choice, but I don't want that kind of attitude. I want Hull City to be a player's first choice – and I didn't get that vibe from him."

Or perhaps we were never interested in Aimar, Woodgate had already agreed to go to Spurs before Keegan came calling, and Modric was made to go to Spurs because the Mamic brothers could get a bigger slice of the cake.

and if we were interested in Aimar James?  just if, and he rejected us for benfica what does it say to you anything, nothing?

how long do we keep losing out on players before it becomes a pattern of failure and rejection?  this is ashleys 3rd transfer window by the way

i know one thing, if FS was still chairman he'd be getting torn apart by the people on here for signing a liverpool cast off and a "free" winger from mallorca

Why? The Chairman/Owner doesn't buy the players as far as I'm aware, or they certainly shouldn't be.

something big needs to happen in the next two weeks, or for the 5th year in a row the season is going to be over before it's begun. August soon, and we're gonna be playing Butt, Geremi and Steven fucking Taylor still

Swings and roundabouts.

why?

FS didn´t get torn apart for the players we brought in (it was the managers choice, hopfully as we have heard otherwise). it was their method to bring them in.

EDIT: also meant to say in that last part about his career appearing to be on the decline as well, but forgot

The club has been on the decline since the appointment of Souness. What I mean by that is our league finishes have been largely shit since SBR's last season in charge. Ashley, Keegan and co have come into this club well aware of the need to REBUILD its stature. No wonder players turn us down when they have witnessed the last 3 or 4 years of total shambles.

not disagreeing, but we've been this bad before and still managed to get the players we wanted - as ATB says by offering money basically

it still makes NE5 right, somethings missing, call it money if you want

not disagreeing, but we've been this bad before and still managed to get the players we wanted - as ATB says by offering money basically

You can't blame the club for missing out on the three players for not showing the money, when you imply in other posts that we showed them the money and they didn't come for other reasons?

Stop moving the goalposts.

why?

FS didn´t get torn apart for the players we brought in (it was the managers choice, hopfully as we have heard otherwise). it was their method to bring them in.

what?  he'd be getting torn apart because we have no midfield, no cover in defence, suspect attack (injuries) and no squad depth and so far we've brought in the aforementioned players on the cheap

always comes back to expectations - mine are for us not to get left behind by the clubs around us, unless we sign some quality football players this is exactly what is going to happen, then it's going to be even harder to sign players

vicious circle - our stock has rightly fallen these days in the game, do we want it to continue to fall or do we expect our owner to take steps to arrest the slide? 

The club has been on the decline since the appointment of Souness. What I mean by that is our league finishes have been largely s*** since SBR's last season in charge. Ashley, Keegan and co have come into this club well aware of the need to REBUILD its stature. No wonder players turn us down when they have witnessed the last 3 or 4 years of total shambles.

I agree, very slowly becoming an embarrasment. Of all the club's with billionaire owners we're the ones who've comfortably spent the least, you have to ask why

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

I've been trying to work out what it was that caused you to write with such negativity and prejudice all the time. Thanks for explaining, I'll make allowances now.  :thup:

Quality. :lol:

The club has been on the decline since the appointment of Souness. What I mean by that is our league finishes have been largely s*** since SBR's last season in charge. Ashley, Keegan and co have come into this club well aware of the need to REBUILD its stature. No wonder players turn us down when they have witnessed the last 3 or 4 years of total shambles.

so you mean FS´s charm lured the players to us and that Ashley hasn´t got the charm thing going that can give us the players we want?

What's "missing" essentially is football's perception of the club. We have had too much bad press for a variety of reasons in recent years, be it Shepherd, the sackings, ill-disciplined players, high profile errors on the pitch etc..etc.. the list can go on. We HAVE been the butt of many a joke lately, and are considered by your average fan (and equally, football people) as a club in a mess. The media have also successfully managed to make the "high expectation/morbidly delusional fans" tag stick.

For now, we need to go about our business quietly, and assemble a squad of decent players, relying on Keegan to work his magic, and get the players playing for him and giving 150% for the cause, and hopefully start climbing back up that league table.

It's risky business, but at the end of the day, risky is exactly what business is.

You can't blame the club for missing out on the three players for not showing the money, when you imply in other posts that we showed them the money and they didn't come for other reasons?

you and your fucking goalposts James, doesn't wash as I'm moving nothing - you seem fond of pointing out deals are complicated so what's so complicated about making the leap to; one deal we might match a fee but not wages, lose the player...another deal we might be willing to pay the wages but not the fee?  same result

{before you start these are example of possibilites, rather than extact examples}

the reports of aimar, be they true, say we matched the valuation that benfica had to then match to conclude the deal - so what went wrong?  reports also said they dispatched rui costa on a jet to make sure the deal happened, did we urgently dispatch anyone if we wanted him that badly?

i don't know do i, i wasn't there, but i'm with NE5 in saying "something" isn't right at the moment but i don't know what it is, there are many possibilities money being one of them

you and your fucking goalposts James, doesn't wash as I'm moving nothing - you seem fond of pointing out deals are complicated so what's so complicated about making the leap to; one deal we might match a fee but not wages, lose the player...another deal we might be willing to pay the wages but not the fee?  same result

{before you start these are example of possibilites, rather than extact examples}

the reports of aimar, be they true, say we matched the valuation that benfica had to then match to conclude the deal - so what went wrong?  reports also said they dispatched rui costa on a jet to make sure the deal happened, did we urgently dispatch anyone if we wanted him that badly?

i don't know do i, i wasn't there, but i'm with NE5 in saying "something" isn't right at the moment but i don't know what it is, there are many possibilities money being one of them

Again, a complete contradiction, as I'm sure if we were interested in that situation, Keegan would be on a plane to Portugal.

you and your f***ing goalposts James, doesn't wash as I'm moving nothing - you seem fond of pointing out deals are complicated so what's so complicated about making the leap to; one deal we might match a fee but not wages, lose the player...another deal we might be willing to pay the wages but not the fee?  same result

aye

Guest MaetihS

something big needs to happen in the next two weeks, or for the 5th year in a row the season is going to be over before it's begun. August soon, and we're gonna be playing Butt, Geremi and Steven f***ing Taylor still

can just see Taylor causing us 3 goals in a 5 goal mauling on the first day.

Guest elbee909

Seems pretty clear Newcastle were being used to up the wage offer from Benfica.  Years of overpaying players takes its toll.

something big needs to happen in the next two weeks, or for the 5th year in a row the season is going to be over before it's begun. August soon, and we're gonna be playing Butt, Geremi and Steven f***ing Taylor still

can just see Taylor causing us 3 goals in a 5 goal mauling on the first day.

but at least he will have 'looked interested'