Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

shld go for Kapo, Larsson, Steed . very realistic and players that are much better than our current squad.

do you mean John Steed from the Avengers ?

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

:lol: so which is it NE5?

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

its quite simple. We failed to sign a player the manager wanted, and in this case, he wasn't even first choice.

shld go for Kapo, Larsson, Steed . very realistic and players that are much better than our current squad.

do you mean John Steed from the Avengers ?

NE5 tried to make a funny.

Got to love NE5. A couple of nights ago we were lacking ambition for signing Aimar, now we've got no ambition because we didn't sign him. :lol:

I'm not a fence sitter myself, but it appears you're swinging your views back and forth as it suits. Please clarify if you've got the time. Thanks

its quite simple. We failed to sign a player the manager wanted, and in this case, he wasn't even first choice.

According to the press who I gather you always believe?

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

EDIT: also meant to say in that last part about his career appearing to be on the decline as well, but forgot

quite correct mate.

just read his posts and it seems to me he's spot on - the ambition he refers to is to complete deals isn't?  he says something is wrong, ambition or whatever

woodgate, modric, aimar have all been moved for and turned us down to some degree so he's right, something is missing - whether ambition is the right word is neither here nor there

my opinion, however, is that a bid for aimar shouldn't be considered ambitious - we've just lost him to benfica if reports are correct, wasn't so long ago they were picking up our cast offs for nothing...

Or perhaps we were never interested in Aimar, Woodgate had already agreed to go to Spurs before Keegan came calling, and Modric was made to go to Spurs because the Mamic brothers could get a bigger slice of the cake.

so does that still make NE5 wrong then? 

and if we were interested in Aimar James?  just if, and he rejected us for benfica what does it say to you anything, nothing?

how long do we keep losing out on players before it becomes a pattern of failure and rejection?  this is ashleys 3rd transfer window by the way

i know one thing, if FS was still chairman he'd be getting torn apart by the people on here for signing a liverpool cast off and a "free" winger from mallorca

why?

FS didn´t get torn apart for the players we brought in (it was the managers choice, hopfully as we have heard otherwise). it was their method to bring them in.

so its Keegans fault then ?

Or perhaps we were never interested in Aimar, Woodgate had already agreed to go to Spurs before Keegan came calling, and Modric was made to go to Spurs because the Mamic brothers could get a bigger slice of the cake.

so does that still make NE5 wrong then? 

and if we were interested in Aimar James?  just if, and he rejected us for benfica what does it say to you anything, nothing?

how long do we keep losing out on players before it becomes a pattern of failure and rejection?  this is ashleys 3rd transfer window by the way

i know one thing, if FS was still chairman he'd be getting torn apart by the people on here for signing a liverpool cast off and a "free" winger from mallorca

why?

FS didn´t get torn apart for the players we brought in (it was the managers choice, hopfully as we have heard otherwise). it was their method to bring them in.

so its Keegans fault then ?

yes. if he buy players that are shit

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

I've been trying to work out what it was that caused you to write with such negativity and prejudice all the time. Thanks for explaining, I'll make allowances now.  :thup:

Quality. :lol:

unfortunately Dave, a few people are starting to realise something.........

Something is clearly wrong, the ambition is not there, whatever. Those of us with half a brain have been saying it for ages.

I've been trying to work out what it was that caused you to write with such negativity and prejudice all the time. Thanks for explaining, I'll make allowances now.  :thup:

Quality. :lol:

unfortunately Dave, a few people are starting to realise something.........

they don't have to realise anything, they only have to choose...shepherd/allardyce or ashley/keegan.

i'd choose the latter option...how about you ?

EDIT: also meant to say in that last part about his career appearing to be on the decline as well, but forgot

The club has been on the decline since the appointment of Souness. What I mean by that is our league finishes have been largely shit since SBR's last season in charge. Ashley, Keegan and co have come into this club well aware of the need to REBUILD its stature. No wonder players turn us down when they have witnessed the last 3 or 4 years of total shambles.

not disagreeing, but we've been this bad before and still managed to get the players we wanted - as ATB says by offering money basically

it still makes NE5 right, somethings missing, call it money if you want

You can't blame the club for missing out on the three players for not showing the money, when you imply in other posts that we showed them the money and they didn't come for other reasons?

Stop moving the goalposts.

you and your fucking goalposts James, doesn't wash as I'm moving nothing - you seem fond of pointing out deals are complicated so what's so complicated about making the leap to; one deal we might match a fee but not wages, lose the player...another deal we might be willing to pay the wages but not the fee?  same result

{before you start these are example of possibilites, rather than extact examples}

the reports of aimar, be they true, say we matched the valuation that benfica had to then match to conclude the deal - so what went wrong?  reports also said they dispatched rui costa on a jet to make sure the deal happened, did we urgently dispatch anyone if we wanted him that badly?

i don't know do i, i wasn't there, but i'm with NE5 in saying "something" isn't right at the moment but i don't know what it is, there are many possibilities money being one of them

who remembers Bobby Robson going to Chile to get  Acuna to sign ?

well, let's assume KK wanted Aimar, and agreed with Wise and co to go for him. We put in a bid, which was accepted by all "press" accounts. Let's also say that said club and player had other offers on the table. Doesn't said player then get to choose which club he wants to play for? naturally factoring in his own ambition, the club's ambition, wages, european football, city, climate etc...etc...

what if the player really did turn us down in favour of Benfica? why does that automatically indicate failure on our part? he's south american remember, and has been a relatively big name charlie for a few yrs now. There may be several reasons why he would choose Benfica over us, and none of them have to be automatically due to our club failing at boardroom/Wise level.

just the same way you accuse people of having an agenda against the old board, you clearly use every chance you get to criticize the new board, even when factual information is scarce and all that's available is unsubstantiated drivel written up by some 2 bit journo.

Keegan needs to be there selling the club to new signings. I don't trust Wise etc to sell the club half as much as I do Kev. His passion is legendary and it rubs off on those around him. Get him in a room with a potential recruit and I think more often than not they'd end up at Newcastle.

Completely agree, and the board certainly deserve criticism if they're not implementing this and using his personality in the negotiation processes.

said this ages ago and mick in his wisdom [among others] rejected it

well, let's assume KK wanted Aimar, and agreed with Wise and co to go for him. We put in a bid, which was accepted by all "press" accounts. Let's also say that said club and player had other offers on the table. Doesn't said player then get to choose which club he wants to play for? naturally factoring in his own ambition, the club's ambition, wages, european football, city, climate etc...etc...

what if the player really did turn us down in favour of Benfica? why does that automatically indicate failure on our part? he's south american remember, and has been a relatively big name charlie for a few yrs now. There may be several reasons why he would choose Benfica over us, and none of them have to be automatically due to our club failing at boardroom/Wise level.

just the same way you accuse people of having an agenda against the old board, you clearly use every chance you get to criticize the new board, even when factual information is scarce and all that's available is unsubstantiated drivel written up by some 2 bit journo.

the club are missing out on managers targets for not showing ambition/having the setup to persuade them to come/not being urgent enough to go and get them, whatever the reason, and making noises about putting in place a policy that I basically think is the wrong way to get among the top clubs and you think they shouldn't be criticised ?

You bet your arse I'll criticise mate, and whats more its justified as well.

It's nothing to do with something not being right, they have simply had better options than coming here.

Since Robson was sacked for finishing fifth, we have finished 14th, 7th, 13th and 12th and had four different managers. That points to an unstable, mid-table club, not a top club which can pick and choose in the transfer market. Ashley is responsible for one of those seasons and sacking one manager, yet some people see him and the club's new way of running things as the reason we cannot attract the top players.

Quite incredible really.

the club are missing out on managers targets for not showing ambition/having the setup to persuade them to come/not being urgent enough to go and get them, whatever the reason, and making noises about putting in place a policy that I basically think is the wrong way to get among the top clubs and you think they shouldn't be criticised ?

What about when a player has a better option?

Show me one piece of hard evidence that suggests that Aimar was a Keegan target.

Also, what kind of set up are you on about? The type where we spend 9 million on the likes of Boumsong and Luque? we have a top class stadium, top class training facilities (all thanks to Shepherd no doubt of course), a (small) crop of high profile players, and a decent record in the past 10 or 15 years. So what set up would that be mate?

You can't do f*** all about a player who wants to join a London club or a club playing in Europe. And if we throw crazy money at players, we'd end up with mercenaries who you (yes you personally!) would be wanting shot of for being lazy mercenary types.

The rebuilding will have to be gradual, and we'll have to step up a gear in terms of league finish first before we can attract the top calibre players we used to.

edit: oh, and kindly leave my arse well alone. cheers  :laugh2: