The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

We all want to back Shearer, and get out of this, and hope he turns out to be the new Brian Clough, and we know he can only work with what he's got, and we know he's shit hot in training  :coolsmiley:..........but he should know by now that he just doesn't do it on the pitch.

I was looking through some old video clips recently, and now and again, when he was younger - under Bobby Robson - he did look half decent sometimes but he has sat back and gone backwards, massively backwards. He must rate now as among the really worst strikers we have had in the last 40 years, sitting alongside the likes of Rob McDonald, Billy Rafferty, Tony Cunningham and George Reilly. And I'm probably being unkind to those 4, because although none of them were really any good, at least they stuck to the task and imposed a physical presence.

The way he won the corner and scored with the header from it against the mackems this season at the SOS is sadly, what he ought to have been doing all his career.

Fuck off. I just hope they gave you a contract to make sure we get a fee. Its Carrol above you now lad.

i only remember Rambo, and cunningham, they both fought for the ball, and put cetrebacks under pressure> far better than Ameoba, despite being shite.

He simply must play Carol ahead of this cunt.

Carroll is now without a doubt ahead of shola in the pecking order

There is absolutely nothing certain when it comes to Ameobi. For the past four summers I've thought to myself "Well, without a doubt I won't see anymore of Shola", only to be disappointed time and time again. Bet we'll end off giving him a testimonial after 15 great years of service.

Guest Stephen927

Shola will be here until we release him or his contract runs up. He's on a nice earner here, can't see him wanting to leave Newcastle unless he really has to if he were to ever find himself without a club.

He's well and truly in his comfort zone now.

You did get the impression from that he is REALLY lazy (like more lazy than you thought).

He liked to say "Thats a bit different" or "you don't see that often so thats nice" a lot :lol:

I have not watched the Youtube link all the way through but I remember watching it on cribs & he talked about sleeping after training, do that 5 times a week & your body is used to its afternoon snooze...........fuck it I went & had a listen it is from approx 8mins in.

Undoubtedly Shola was completely at fault for their goal. In addition to this he wouldn't have scored the header Caroll did. That aside he did no different to Caroll.

The largest difference on Saturday was that Jonas came on and his influence alone got us playing the ball on the deck and taking it to them. The forward play was woeful prior to this and Shola believe it or not won 90% of his aerial battles whilst on the pitch.

I see Shola as a slightly worse attacking version of Bramble. Where Bramble could be brilliant for 95% of a game and cock up once or twice Shola can be brilliant for about 60% and then cocks up where it matters.

I kind of feel sorry for the lad the amount of stick he gets, and I think alot of the time it is over the top and undeserved, but like above he has done well for himself only being good at his job 60% of the time....

Time for Caroll to have his chance and time for Shola to go (once we have adequate cover).

Undoubtedly Shola was completely at fault for their goal. In addition to this he wouldn't have scored the header Caroll did. That aside he did no different to Caroll.

Erm, no. Carroll won more flick-ons (and they were of better quality), and his general hold-up play was better. From a defensive point of view, he also tracked back more and put in a lot more effort.

The largest difference on Saturday was that Jonas came on and his influence alone got us playing the ball on the deck and taking it to them. The forward play was woeful prior to this and Shola believe it or not won 90% of his aerial battles whilst on the pitch.

I see Shola as a slightly worse attacking version of Bramble. Where Bramble could be brilliant for 95% of a game and cock up once or twice Shola can be brilliant for about 60% and then cocks up where it matters.

I kind of feel sorry for the lad the amount of stick he gets, and I think alot of the time it is over the top and undeserved, but like above he has done well for himself only being good at his job 60% of the time....

Time for Caroll to have his chance and time for Shola to go (once we have adequate cover).

Thats 2 massive reasons where Carrol trumps Ameobi.

I'm not really sure how good he is with the ball at his feet, but don't underestimate how important and how well a player can do for you if he is powerful in the air and strong when shielding the ball. He is certainly very good in the air facing the goal, its a great attribute to have.

Guest stjamestoon

I agree he is shite, but against stoke he had nothing to work with, strikers performances do depend alot of service, which we have none.