The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

It could be that Shola does well in training but can't hack the pressure of the crowd - his own crowd.

In which case he's not good enough. It was a long, long time before the crowd started to turn on him (in terms of his career anyway).

the worst thing is he doesn't even look like he can be arsed, at least if he tried it would be something

Tbf in the first 20 against stoke I commented to my old man that he looked really up for it, he was winning headers, throwing himself around and getting back to win the ball (usually after he'd lost it mind). It only lasted 20 minutes unforunately.

Guest neesy111

the worst thing is he doesn't even look like he can be arsed, at least if he tried it would be something

the thing that does it for me is the fact that he can't be arsed to jump for the ball most time's, you get fitter by running around etc, but the fact he doesn't on the football pitch tell's me that 1) he isn't that fit 2)he can't be arsed to change it

It could be that Shola does well in training but can't hack the pressure of the crowd - his own crowd.

I'm the first one to be critical of the hostility the crowd can give of sometimes, and the negative effect it can have, but imo Ameobi is simply a different case. It cannot be purley down to confidence - you dont need confidence to simply run. And this is not an exageration, thats the crazy thing - he simply dosent run, he jogs.

Surley if it was purley confidence, and he wanted to get the crowd on his side - the logical thing to do bieng the size that he is would be to harras defenders on the ball, close them down, and simply put himself about a bit (like he did for about 4 games earlier on this season), and then get the crowd respond positivley, and try and work from there. He refuses to do it, as if he's playing a game with the crowd.

It is scandelous what he's been doing this year. We are going down, and he is simply strolling around, taking 10 seconds to get up from the gound everytime, feeling sorry for himself, showing zero urgency, no acknowledgment for the situation we find ourselves in. And yes, imo a clear difference in the lack of effort he has put in compared to the rest.

Its a very cliched accusation, a player strolling around, not giving a crap, and I think a lot of the times it is over-used, but it really is the situation here.

Guest Howaythetoon

To  be fair to Shola and indeed Sir Bobby, he did a job for him whenever called upon. Particularly in Europe and remember under Sir Bobby it was a lack of funds soon after he took over and an injury crisis or two that prompted the promotion of a then 18 year-old Shola from the reserves to first-team. I remember his debut very well, a hot warm day at St. James' Park where Shola aquitted himself well, drawing considerable attention from one Dennis Wise at one point where I'm sure the odious rat squared up to a bemused Shola. Back then he had potential. Today he is plain dreadful and needs to head any clear out which I'm sure will happen if Shearer remains in charge.

I am sure he must have moved into the centre at some point, I remember their fans raving about him and suggesting him as a possible target :lol:

IIRC on their forums one or two were saying he could be a possible Vieira replacement.

I am sure he must have moved into the centre at some point, I remember their fans raving about him and suggesting him as a possible target :lol:

IIRC on their forums one or two were saying he could be a possible Vieira replacement.

Thats the one :lol:

• 2 months later...

Shola yesterday showed some ability, I have a sneaky feeling it was really Tino in a Shola mask, pace, power, good ball control, good first touch can't have been Shola.

Whenever we play these games Shola always looks different class. Much like I bet he's shit hot in training too.

Shola yesterday showed some ability, I have a sneaky feeling it was really Tino in a Shola mask, pace, power, good ball control, good first touch can't have been Shola.

Whenever we play these games Shola always looks different class. Much like I bet he's shit hot in training too.

So what the hell happens?

his arse goes on the match days.

He just needs Skirge's support.

To  be fair to Shola and indeed Sir Bobby, he did a job for him whenever called upon. Particularly in Europe

He peaked in 03-04 when he was actually useful. Been a fucking moronic, lazy inconvenience ever since.

Only 3 more years!!

... before his new 5 year contract.

To  be fair to Shola and indeed Sir Bobby, he did a job for him whenever called upon. Particularly in Europe

He peaked in 03-04 when he was actually useful. Been a f***ing moronic, lazy inconvenience ever since.

Only 3 more years!!

... before his new 5 year contract.

End of the 2005-6 season he was good as well. Bits and bobs during the Champions League in 2003, but that apart, I agree. Woeful for 90% of the time.

Roeder always seemed to coax something approaching a performance out of Shola like.

until he got the job full-time

Shola played reasonably at the beginning of Roeders full season in charge up until his hip injury.