Champions League participation vs winning the League Cup

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The League Cup would be nice, but fairly meaningless long term. Champions League is crucial in that it allows you to match the big boys for spending power due to extra revenue and status. CL every time for me.

The League Cup would be nice, but fairly meaningless long term. Champions League is crucial in that it allows you to match the big boys for spending power due to extra revenue and status. CL every time for me.

A Champions League one-off appearance is even more meaningless long term. Unless we build a squad which is capable of sustaining it or at least achieving it every other year, it will just be a brief income spike accompanied by a few humiliating defeats against foreign teams.

The question's therefore difficult to answer until we have a better idea of Ashley's intentions. If we're seriously aiming for top 4, then I'd prefer the CL spot as cups will eventually come along later, but if it seems we're happy with mid table and it would just be a one-off fluke year in the CL I'd prefer to get the cup in the bag.

Guest Jawesome

I'd take the league cup just to get people to shut the fuck up about us not winning a trophy for god knows how long.  Plus there would be one fucking immense party in town!

Champions league for player attracting, money, recognition across europe.

I think this because this may be a stepping stone to a trophy because the extra cash and better players could turn this into in two years entry into the champions league then the fa cup. Rather than just champions league/league cup.

Champions League bigger profile, more money and if we are playing CL football it will attract more players than winning the League cup.

true.  We will stand more of a chance at winning the LC if we have a CL squad.

it's easy answer dave... it's like asking "which one you choose cute girl next door or angelina jolie"

i picked one of my range

What if you live next door to Angelina Jolie?

:p

YOu sticking your tongue out or showing us all what you would be doing to miss AJ? ;-)

man.... you got to be slow tinker :lol:

It was more of a general question, rather than what anyone wants from Ashley etc. :)

Sorry Dave.

Yeah! Champions League! Remember that tino hattrick against Barcelona, that was brill! Bring it on!!!

Is that better?

It was more of a general question, rather than what anyone wants from Ashley etc. :)

Sorry Dave.

Yeah! Champions League! Remember that tino hattrick against Barcelona, that was brill! Bring it on!!!

Is that better?

Much. :lol:

I'd say League Cup just to shut the media up.  Let's see them come up with another Newcastle tagline instead of "who haven't won anything for blah blah..."

Meaningless cup though IMO so long term I'd much rather have CL qualification.

I'd take the league cup just to get people to shut the fuck up about us not winning a trophy for god knows how long.  Plus there would be one fucking immense party in town!

Which is why I sort of hope that isn't the first trophy we win. Can you imagine how the rest of your country will treat you if you tear down telephone poles over the fucking Carling Cup?

Prefer Champs League participation over it easily.