Er

Dave

I'm really sure if i understand this fully.

If by club suits it means that they all have matching suits sourced by the company for them to wear on match days, then that is effectively a uniform and the club should pay for it.

If however it means that players are required to wear a suit (of their choice) on match days, then that is a dress code and they are right to make the players buy their own.

What if we get to the FA Cup though? Will the club pay for the suits then?

I know a lot of companies where the staff have to pay for their uniforms. No different to me having to buy a suit or shirt and trousers.

The matchday shirts get sponsored don't they - a shrewd player would get his suit sponsored also

But you can wear your suits, shirts, smart shoes for other things. You could hardly turn up to a christening in a McDonald's uniform.

If a company insists that you wear a company uniform then they should supply it free of charge.

I know some companies insist that their employees pay for uniforms but they're generally s***, tight-arsed companies that no-one really wants to work for.

Team suits are sharp though and can certainly be worn to other events. They're not track suits you know.

Yes i know that. I'm not sure i got my point across properly.

What i am saying is that a uniform should be paid for by the company, whereas a dress code insisted upon by the company should be paid for by the players.

So, in conclusion, if the club insists on the players wearing an NUFC company issue suit (sharp or otherwise) then i believe it is their responsibility to supply them to the players free of charge. If however they say match-day dress code is suit and tie then the players should buy their own.

Unless Northern Rock or Adidas don't allow it, I don't understand why we just can't approach a clothes chain and propose that our players will do som modelling in exchange for our team getting free club suits.

Guest Heneage

Millionaires having to buy there own clothes? whatever next!!!

Paper plates in the coporate. Mrs Ashley putting a spread on.

If it is true, then colour me puzzled. Gonna save a whopping £20-50k there, surely no more than that?

Maybe it's about not wasting that money, rather than what he can do with it. Just prudency.

Every £50,000 counts doesn't it? :)

If we're being serious, then (if true) this kind of trivial cost saving will put out a feeling of the club being "cheap" to current and potential players. The players will just laugh it off and pay it of course, but they'll still be a bit pissed off about it no matter how insignificant the cost is to them. I have first hand experience of this kind of thing working for a company which is cutting and cutting staff perks; the gain to the company and the loss to the staff is trivial, but workforce morale is shot to s***. Any financial cost saving the company makes is far outweighed by the time wasted by everyone whinging about it, and reduced motivation to do a good job. It probably doesn't matter much in companies like Sports Direct where staff motivation is probably so low it can't get any worse and trivial savings mount up across a large number of stores, but at a football club keeping the playing staff happy and motivated is a very important thing.

If it was a reasonably significant cost saving then it may be worth it, but this just seems stupidly petty.

If we've kept them happy so far then I'd like to see the benefits of that.

Unless Northern Rock or Adidas don't allow it, I don't understand why we just can't approach a clothes chain and propose that our players will do som modelling in exchange for our team getting free club suits.

Primarktastic :snod:

A club insider eh?

And the players wont say anything publicly?

How f***ing stupid is Oliver?

How stupid can stupid be?  If you can answer that then you've answered your own question.

Taking the story seriously for a second, seems fair enough tbh. It's not like they're short of a few bob is it?

If we're being serious, then (if true) this kind of trivial cost saving will put out a feeling of the club being "cheap" to current and potential players. The players will just laugh it off and pay it of course, but they'll still be a bit pissed off about it no matter how insignificant the cost is to them. I have first hand experience of this kind of thing working for a company which is cutting and cutting staff perks; the gain to the company and the loss to the staff is trivial, but workforce morale is shot to s***. Any financial cost saving the company makes is far outweighed by the time wasted by everyone whinging about it, and reduced motivation to do a good job. It probably doesn't matter much in companies like Sports Direct where staff motivation is probably so low it can't get any worse and trivial savings mount up across a large number of stores, but at a football club keeping the playing staff happy and motivated is a very important thing.

If it was a reasonably significant cost saving then it may be worth it, but this just seems stupidly petty.

That's exactly how I felt when I read the article. While other clubs are chasing transfer targets we are cost cutting on ridiculously small details in the bigger scheme of things. What a way to be portrayed in the press. Is this what they meant when they said Ashley would take a more hands on approach.. ;)

I was walking down Northumberland St yesterday and saw it advertised on the stand and nearly thought about lashing out 42p or whatever as I was bamboozled by the story.  I'm glad I didn't.

I can't even believe the editor lets Oliver put this shite in.  If it were me I'd say "Am I fuck putting that in this paper.  If you can't come up with anything more substantial we're just having another page of grassroots sport or we'll adjust it so we can have TWO REPORTS of a 15 year old from Fenham blinded by an air rifle."

Seems to me someone is on a mission to cause bad feeling between Big Mike and the fans.

I think Ashley should have him shot.

As they say in russia........

Adopts dodgy moscow accent..........

"if you remove the man, you remove the problem" Caddy, Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

Guest Sniffer

Well, we've removed plenty of men in my time following the Toon. Seems to me we have the same old problem.

Seems to me someone is on a mission to cause bad feeling between Big Mike and the fans.

i thought there would already be bad feeling towards him? he's been at the club nearly a year and hes yet to kit all the fans out in Sports direct chav trackys !!

Guest BooBoo

I'm sure Cruise in town have a sign outside on the window saying "Official Suit Supplier to Newcastle United."

I've worked it out - all this talk of wage bill cutting, players buying their own suits is a big coverup of the fact we have £100m to spend. If we went round shouting about it, all the fees would be bumped up. Van Der Vaart, Cueller, Arshavin, Turin here we come.  :pow:

I'm fairly certain, its either Miles Stanforth or someone else at the NE papers that doesn't exist. Can't remember for sure who though.

Met him a when we played in Kiev last time - he interviewed my mate.

I also know Gary Oliver who used to write for the Gazette then moved to the club as PR spokesman - used to play cricket with my mate.