Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Something I'd like to add, another young English top 4 reject spent some time on loan at two different Premiership clubs, but was not really going to be in with a sniff of first team football when he was to return to his parent club, is now being touted as a player beyond your means, one David Bentley. You've got to speculate to accumulate...

Your far too sensible for these shores. How I wanted us to sign Bentley after his first stint at Norwich, but it was the same type of things being said about Guthrie and Larsson now.

There is no guarantee these players will become as good as Bentley, but it is well worth taking a flier on a few of these types of players due to their reasonably cheap prices and potential for improvement.

Exactly. Both of these players had good seasons and Keegan does have the ability to make them even better.

It's not like we are able to sign the Luka Modric's of the world

You were going so well up until then ...

Guest MaetihS

Something I'd like to add, another young English top 4 reject spent some time on loan at two different Premiership clubs, but was not really going to be in with a sniff of first team football when he was to return to his parent club, is now being touted as a player beyond your means, one David Bentley. You've got to speculate to accumulate...

Your far too sensible for these shores. How I wanted us to sign Bentley after his first stint at Norwich, but it was the same type of things being said about Guthrie and Larsson now.

There is no guarantee these players will become as good as Bentley, but it is well worth taking a flier on a few of these types of players due to their reasonably cheap prices and potential for improvement.

Exactly. Both of these players had good seasons and Keegan does have the ability to make them even better.

It's not like we are able to sign the Luka Modric's of the world

agreed. these players may become the next Modrics after joining us.

Beyewatch- I hope you are taking the piss.

As for Guthrie, i always thought he was a poor liverpool reject. I haven't really tracked his goings on, since going on loan last year but certainly don't think he's anything to shout about.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mcdonald36

Bit harsh to say he didn't make it at Liverpool with the talent they have ahead of him.

I've only seen him a few times and was quite impressed, but it's impossible to make any real judgement until we've seen him week in week out.

Anyone know how good he is or isn't before crying into their cornflakes? Most people thought Bellamy was shite too.

Also, again, this is just paper talk. Why believe it now if you don't believe any of the other stories?

Always looked alright when I saw him playing for Bolton. In fairness, when playing for Bolton I can imagine it's fairly restrictive in the terms of how you play your football. Clearly he's highly rated by someone if old Liverpool folk keep taking a look (first little Sam and now Keegan and Mc).

Didn't look out of place in the games against Bayern and Sporting as far as I can recall. If cheap not a bad investment - but this is saying if actually true because we all know local rags aren't the most reliable when it comes to the truth.

Always looked alright when I saw him playing for Bolton. In fairness, when playing for Bolton I can imagine it's fairly restrictive in the terms of how you play your football. Clearly he's highly rated by someone if old Liverpool folk keep taking a look (first little Sam and now Keegan and Mc).

Didn't look out of place in the games against Bayern and Sporting as far as I can recall. If cheap not a bad investment - but this is saying if actually true because we all know local rags aren't the most reliable when it comes to the truth.

[again if true] it'll be interesting to look back in september and see if gutierrez & guthrie were us getting in some squad depth before moving for our real targets, or whether this level of player/price IS our real target...