Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

We could have had him.  :sadnod:

Then sold him on for this rediculous amount. It certainly fits into the new approach by the club.

Eh?

Titus Bramble           Released ... £4.5m loss

Craig Moore             Released ... £0

Oguchi Onyewu       Released ... £0

Olivier Bernard Released ... £0

Pavel Srnicek Released ... £0

Antoine Sibierski Released ... £200k loss

Scott Parker £7,000,000 ... £1m profit

Alan O’Brien Released ... £0

Kieron Dyer £7,000,000  £1m profit

Paul Huntington £250,000 ... £250k profit

Albert Luque Undisclosed Fee ... ?

Nolberto Solano Free ... £1.5m loss

Stephen Carr Released ... £2m loss

Peter Ramage Released ... £0

James Troisi Released ... £0

Lamine Diatta Released ... £0

David Rozehnal £2.9m ... £0

Belozoglu Emre £3.5m ... £0

Abdoulaye Faye £2.25m ... £0

James Milner            £12m ... £7m profit

So of all the player that have left the club we've made summat like £2m-ish.

Sign them up with re-sale value, then sell them on for a profit. Much like what Spurs have done. That's what I feel the club are trying to do.

I can only think of 4, maybe 5 clubs in the entire world whose players dont have a price. Having said that i think you might be right about the Spurs thing, the only thing is that i dont think we'd be a club looking to sell but would sell for the right deal.

Which players did Spurs sell willingly? Robbie Keane for £20m to Liverpool? That was daylight robbery, I'll bet most Liverpool fans would rather have the money back. Berbatov refused to stay, he wasn't sold through choice or to make a profit. I don't see anything devious or miserly in those deals which is what you are implying, in fact Spurs have spent big on top players like Bentley and Modric which is hardly penny-pinching behaviour.

Im not implying anything. Although i do think that Spurs model is to buy players who can develop to make a profit - which they can reinvest, sort of self sufficient method of getting good players. Reinvestemtn program.

What do you think Spurs thinking was when they sold both their main strikers - a guarantueed 50-60 goals a season? Surely you dont think they thought it would be an easy propostition to replace them both in one window?

Then sold him on for this rediculous amount. It certainly fits into the new approach by the club.

Eh?

Alan OBrien Released ... £0

Sign them up with re-sale value, then sell them on for a profit. Much like what Spurs have done. That's what I feel the club are trying to do.

I can only think of 4, maybe 5 clubs in the entire world whose players dont have a price. Having said that i think you might be right about the Spurs thing, the only thing is that i dont think we'd be a club looking to sell but would sell for the right deal.

Which players did Spurs sell willingly? Robbie Keane for £20m to Liverpool? That was daylight robbery, I'll bet most Liverpool fans would rather have the money back. Berbatov refused to stay, he wasn't sold through choice or to make a profit. I don't see anything devious or miserly in those deals which is what you are implying, in fact Spurs have spent big on top players like Bentley and Modric which is hardly penny-pinching behaviour.

Im not implying anything. Although i do think that Spurs model is to buy players who can develop to make a profit - which they can reinvest, sort of self sufficient method of getting good players. Reinvestemtn program.

What do you think Spurs thinking was when they sold both their main strikers[/b - a guarantueed 50-60 goals a season? Surely you dont think they thought it would be an easy propostition to replace them [i]both[/i] in one window?

I think Spurs were thinking that both Keane and Berbatov wanted to go, and that they would receive 50 million pounds in return. To me they wanted to replace both, but they f***** around too long with the Berbatov transfer leaving them a few hours to et a striker.

Eh?

Alan O’Brien Released ... £0

What do you think Spurs thinking was when they sold both their main strikers[/b - a guarantueed 50-60 goals a season? Surely you dont think they thought it would be an easy propostition to replace them [i]both[/i] in one window?

I think Spurs were thinking that both Keane and Berbatov wanted to go, and that they would receive 50 million pounds in return. To me they wanted to replace both, but they f***** around too long with the Berbatov transfer leaving them a few hours to et a striker.

So which part of that is ambitious exactly? Berbatov was a definite goner but there didnt seem to be any effort to keep there other 'star' striker. imagine if Nufc did the exact same thing this january Window.

Eh?

Alan OBrien Released ... £0

So which part of that is ambitious exactly? Berbatov was a definite goner but there didnt seem to be any effort to keep there other 'star' striker. imagine if Nufc did the exact same thing this january Window.

My question was aimed at tooj not you, I should have quoted him directly. Personally I thought Spurs would have been mad to turn down £20m for Keane, obviously that also required getting a replacement in which didn't happen.

WHEN Nicky Butt talks on and off the field, Danny Guthrie listens.

And Guthrie – a schoolboy at Manchester United when Butt played for Sir Alex Ferguson's all-conquering side – admits the midfielder has always been a role model.

Guthrie enjoyed his best game yet for Newcastle United in last Sunday's 3-0 win over Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

The 22-year-old capped a dominant display in the centre of midfield with Newcastle's third goal, and Guthrie believes his development over the past few months owes a lot to Butt.

Guthrie and Butt's flourishing partnership in the United engine room will again be put to the test on Sunday, when Tottenham Hotspur visit St James's Park.

"I've played with Nicky for most of the season, and it's just great to play with someone who has been there and done it," Guthrie told the Gazette.

"When he tells me something, or when he shouts at me during a game, I take it on board because he knows what he's talking about.

"I played with Joey (Barton) as well. He was great to play with as well. They're two different players, and I don't mind who I'm playing with, as long as I'm playing."

Guthrie left Old Trafford at the age of 16 after five years at Man United's famed youth academy to join the club's north-west rivals Liverpool, where he went on to earn a professional contract.

Back then, if he had been asked if he thought he would be playing alongside Butt for Newcastle in front of 50,000 every other week, Guthrie admits he would have thought it was just a dream.

Yet now, that dream has become a reality, and while Guthrie has already had downs as well as ups at United, notably the suspension he received for his dismisal against Hull City, the highs have far outweighed the lows for the Shrewsbury-born player.

He went on: "I was only 11 or 12 then. Nicky played for a great Man United side which won the treble. He's great to play alongside people like that, and I learn from him every day.

"When I was at Man U he was playing. You always watched the first-team games, and he was the one playing alongside Paul Scholes, Roy Keane and top players like that.

"I wouldn't have thought I'd be playing with him a few years on! There isn't many better places to play than St James's Park, which I've found out this year.

"Everyone always talks about it, like former players and players that are here, but it's something else to actually do it."

Now Guthrie is determined to give Newcastle's fans something to shout about at St James's Park, where they haven't won since early November.

"We need to improve at home," said Guthrie. "We've drawn a couple at home we should have won, and dropped valuable points, but the Portsmouth result will be a massive boost for us, and if we can stop conceding at home, we'll be all right.

"It's been a win and a draw, or a win and a loss, but once you start putting wins back to back, that's when you start moving up the table.

"After the Portsmouth performance, we can start doing that."

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Guthrie-learning-from-role-model.4809069.jp

not good enough

He's s***!!

f***ing s***!

:lol:

We don't need squad players. We've just played a full season with squad standard players in midfield. We need first teamers.

We need both.

Larrson squad player - Yes

Guthrie - No

We do need both, we just don't need less than average s**** like Guthrie.

~Reminds me of the sibierski thread. I think it was similar in this one me and a couple others v the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good game from Guthrie today next to an awful Nicky Butt, a few misplaced passes but I thought he handled the occasion well and didn't let Hull's attempts to rough him up get to him.

We really need to find a long term partner for him in the middle.

Guest firetotheworks

Another good game from Guthrie today next to an awful Nicky Butt, a few misplaced passes but I thought he handled the occasion well and didn't let Hull's attempts to rough him up get to him.

The problem with Guthrie that I can see is in choosing who to play with him. He's not particularly strong in breaking down play and hes not particularly good at attacking. He's just very neat and tidy, makes few mistakes and works hard. I like him but I wouldnt know whether to play him with a big defensive midfielder or an attacking player. I think Id prefer to use Guthrie as a defensive midfielder alongside an attacking player, but I dont think he excels in that area.

:thup:

He impresses me in pretty much every game, be it his control and passing or his willingness to get stuck in. He's certainly nothing special just yet but shows lots of promise.

The problem with Guthrie that I can see is in choosing who to play with him. He's not particularly strong in breaking down play and hes not particularly good at attacking. He's just very neat and tidy, makes few mistakes and works hard. I like him but I wouldnt know whether to play him with a big defensive midfielder or an attacking player. I think Id prefer to use Guthrie as a defensive midfielder alongside an attacking player, but I dont think he excels in that area.

I'd partner him next to a solid defensive midfielder, I don't really buy into this creative attacking midfielder that people want in a 4-4-2.

I'd partner him next to a solid defensive midfielder, I don't really buy into this creative attacking midfielder that people want in a 4-4-2.

I reckon his passing alone is quite creative and he'd be able to focus on that much more if he wasn't running around looking after grandfather Butt.

That's not to say he can't be improved upon of course.

When Barton is back I hope they are paired up instead of Butt keeping his place though.

I reckon his passing alone is quite creative and he'd be able to focus on that much more if he wasn't running around looking after grandfather Butt.

When Barton is back I hope they are paired up instead of Butt keeping his place though.

any idea when Bartons due back? been so long since hes been out I've forgotten

other way round unfortunatly. watch a game and see how many times butt is looking round to see where guthrie is then has to make the move himself. guthrie played well at pomey and home to spurs but is largely anonymous and leaves too much to butt who is struggling to do his own job.

Guest firetotheworks

Guthries not average because he doesnt seem to be a form player who is effective for a few games and then isnt. Hes been consistently good. Neat and tidy. Saying he's not good enough is snobby as fuck in our current situation. But aye, lets get Barry Ferguson in eh?

Pretty well summed up. I'm glad he had a better game today because he was abysmal against Liverpool. You expect a player to want to prove himself against his former club but he didn't want the ball and strolled around watching the game pass him by. I like him as a player but that performance had me worried about his desire.

Pretty well summed up. I'm glad he had a better game today because he was abysmal against Liverpool. You expect a player to want to prove himself against his former club but he didn't want the ball and strolled around watching the game pass him by. I like him as a player but that performance had me worried about his desire.

Guthrie or Owen?

Guthrie or Owen?

Guthrie...in the Liverpool game I was watching opposition players bomb past him while he was stood ball watching.

any idea when Bartons due back? been so long since hes been out I've forgotten

He's due back this month.

I really hope so. Kinnear said he'd had a setback and was now out until March not so long back.

Guest Howaythetoon

Guthries not average because he doesnt seem to be a form player who is effective for a few games and then isnt. Hes been consistently good. Neat and tidy. Saying he's not good enough is snobby as f*** in our current situation. But aye, lets get Barry Ferguson in eh?

He's average man. Offers nowt.