Negativity?

mattypnufc

I honestly think the mood on these boards since Keegans 'outburst' (I use that term loosely due to it was the harsh truth, nothing more) after the Chelski game has been far too negative. Even the targets we have been linked with are often filled with "We wont get him" comments.

What happened to the constant Geordie Optimism? The light hearted humour?

Threads like the 'Whats to come' thread, do not lighten the mood (even if they are meant in jest) and certainly do not make us look any more respectable for any other clubs visitors.

Us Geordies have a special connection when it comes to football. We take everything that is said/written and spoken about our football club to heart and are so passionate, that even when it comes to losing out on players to a club in a better position, we go off on a tirade (albeit in some respects light hearted) against the player and other clubs.

I fully understand and often feel this way but I try not to let it get to me and go "off on one" letting rip on internet forums.

Speculation on these forums has been rife recently, some positive but mostly negative. Whilst I understands people frustrations and definitely do not believe we are a 'top 4' club, we are still an attractive prospect with recognition around the world (even though "we've never won f all" etc.

I have been to at least 7 different countries within the past 5 years, where (when wearing my Newcastle top), I have been approached by random Hungarians, French, Italians, Greeks, Spanish, Germans & Dutch, all of which are aware of our relative success in Europe in the past and some are even under the impression we still challenge for the league every season.

For some to say the likes of Manchester City are a better proposition than us is just daft. Yes they are in Europe next season, but seriously, when players find out it isnt 'THE' Manchester...who'd honestly fancy it? Only Everton/Spuds & Aston Villa have any where near as much right to be where we are & where we are heading.  

I know we are not in Europe next season, and we probably will not be the season after unless we buy some very decent and able new additions, but have we really sunk that low? Are we really now at rock bottom? So much so that Keegan cant work his magic and tempt those 'hidden' gems to come to Newcastle United? I very much doubt it.

3 Shitty seasons in a row do not wipe out the stature of this club. Media slagging and constant speculation cannot break what our club stands for and our past achievements (or 'nearly' achievements) have to count for something.

We have a nice solid foundation to work from now. The correct infrastructure, training, pricing (yes I know ticket prices have went up, but in comparison to other teams, not by much), youth development & fanbase to provide any player who enjoys playing football, wearing a clubs colours with pride & wanting to win something, a fantastic place to be.

My only negativity is coming from the lack of communication from the top. Although I believe the constant rumours about 'wage cutting' 'suit purchasing' 'no transfer kitty' are all related to how little information the press are given, the lack of clarity/mission statement from the board is a bit strange.

But then again...why should they announce it to anyone other than the manager/staff hierarchy?

I'm guessing other people have different opinions on the above, hence the thread...Am I alone in trying to hold my head up high and looking positive or am I looking into this far too much?

:rolleyes:

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Geordies are the most miserable people in Britain

Geordies are the gloomiest people in the country, a survey claimed today.

Newcastle is the unhappiest city in the UK, according to the study by cake manufacturer Mr Kipling.

It claimed that nearly half the people in the city were unhappy about their financial situation, a third were demoralised by work, and a quarter were dissatisfied with heir social lives.

The survey said the happiest places were Bristol, Wolverhampton and York.

I agree that the board did turn to the negative side after that interview KK gave. Which makes me further question, why the hell did he open his mouth ? It was a negative comment which only brought the fans from a state of eager anticipation for the future to a down, anxious and worried. If it was a crude attempt to lower expectations, it had that effect unfortunately it worked too well. If it was an attempt to force Ashley's hand to release funds, well there is hardly any evidence of that working.

In terms of the quality of threads on here, it's been awful for a while tbh. And I'm questioning the amount of time I spend here, so will probably take another break from the board again, doubtless that'll please a fair few on here. I've tried to liven things up a little by being a little controversial and atagonistic but without too much success.

So far we have multi page threads on players we've only vaguely linked with, 2 fashion related threads that the kids keep posting in and bumping to the top and the good old faithfuls, "other clubs transfers" and "Realistic Transfers". It's all rather mundane, which is only partly due to the lack of activity coming from SJP.

TBH we need more threads that encourage debate, to a certain degree this one does. Sometimes to get a debate going people have to come from "left field" a little. If some posts "we are shit we are never going to sign anyone. FACT."  then yes it is negative crap that we can do without, but if the write a reasoned account of why they are feeling down at the moment , then that should be encouraged as it opens debate.

TBH I have noticed a lot of "one liner" poster on here now, the vast majority of their posts are aimed at looking "cool", making a humourous remark, belittling someone, personally abusing another member or even some just quoting another "one liner" whithout even typing a word of their own! What do these people add to the debate...absolutely nothing. There's nothing wrong with one line post but use them in moderation, when 99% of your posts are of this type then ask yourself what are you adding to the debate.

I've noticed some posters I remember from a long time ago on here, who used to be post some really good stuff, but now have fallen into the "one liner" camp and that's a shame to see.

Mattypnufc, this wasn't aimed at you, just a opportunity to voice my opinion. I enjoyed your post even though I don't agree with a lot of what you said, it's opened up a debate, which I have temporarily hijacked, sorry bout that.

TBH I have noticed a lot of "one liner" poster on here now, the vast majority of their posts are aimed at looking "cool", making a humourous remark, belittling someone, personally abusing another member or even some just quoting another "one liner" whithout even typing a word of their own! What do these people add to the debate...absolutely nothing. There's nothing wrong with one line post but use them in moderation, when 99% of your posts are of this type then ask yourself what are you adding to the debate.

:lol:

I received my frown when he said he'd be only adding 2-3 to the current squad.

I trust in Keegan to get an attractive playing side together by the start of the season. Ok they may not get the very best players around but we knew that would happen anyway.

Not paying stupid wages anymore and not in Europe isn't really an attractive proposition too many players but at least we still have Alan Smith to dazzle us next season  :dave:

He should be getting in around 5-6 players at least with the one's that have gone out already and maybe we could surprise a few people!

By finishing 11th  :snod:

I'm not quite sure if this guy is being ironic or proving my point ???

I'm not quite sure if this guy is being ironic or proving my point ???

That's a Smiley indicating how funny you sound!  O0

I agree that the board did turn to the negative side after that interview KK gave. Which makes me further question, why the hell did he open his mouth ? It was a negative comment which only brought the fans from a state of eager anticipation for the future to a down, anxious and worried. If it was a crude attempt to lower expectations, it had that effect unfortunately it worked too well. If it was an attempt to force Ashley's hand to release funds, well there is hardly any evidence of that working.

In terms of the quality of threads on here, it's been awful for a while tbh. And I'm questioning the amount of time I spend here, so will probably take another break from the board again, doubtless that'll please a fair few on here. I've tried to liven things up a little by being a little controversial and atagonistic but without too much success.

So far we have multi page threads on players we've only vaguely linked with, 2 fashion related threads that the kids keep posting in and bumping to the top and the good old faithfuls, "other clubs transfers" and "Realistic Transfers". It's all rather mundane, which is only partly due to the lack of activity coming from SJP.

TBH we need more threads that encourage debate, to a certain degree this one does. Sometimes to get a debate going people have to come from "left field" a little. If some posts "we are shit we are never going to sign anyone. FACT."  then yes it is negative crap that we can do without, but if the write a reasoned account of why they are feeling down at the moment , then that should be encouraged as it opens debate.

I've noticed some posters I remember from a long time ago on here, who used to be post some really good stuff, but now have fallen into the "one liner" camp and that's a shame to see.

Mattypnufc, this wasn't aimed at you, just a opportunity to voice my opinion. I enjoyed your post even though I don't agree with a lot of what you said, it's opened up a debate, which I have temporarily hijacked, sorry bout that.

http://www.moorethanenough.com/images/crying_baby.jpg

TBH we need more threads that encourage debate, to a certain degree this one does. Sometimes to get a debate going people have to come from "left field" a little. If some posts "we are s*** we are never going to sign anyone. FACT."  then yes it is negative crap that we can do without, but if the write a reasoned account of why they are feeling down at the moment , then that should be encouraged as it opens debate.

I give up.

I reserve the right to be a bit negative and a bit pissed off, after season after season of trying to be positive I have had enough.

Even a hint that we are making some kind of progress on new players would be a nice little boost, day after day after day we get linked with player after player, we know most of its crap but its a way of trying to get some belief back in the club, to  think maybe for just a split second that one of the rumors may be true. Yet in the end nothing happens and everyone feels deflated again, taking the piss and having a laugh on here at least makes some of us happy.

:laugh:

If you don't like this forum, feel free to fuck off somewhere else. :lol:

Guest toonlass

I'm optimistic. I refuse to be pessimistic until we are 9-0 down at Old Trafford. Keegan will save us.*

*laughing manically.

TBH we need more threads that encourage debate, to a certain degree this one does. Sometimes to get a debate going people have to come from "left field" a little. If some posts "we are s*** we are never going to sign anyone. FACT."  then yes it is negative crap that we can do without, but if the write a reasoned account of why they are feeling down at the moment , then that should be encouraged as it opens debate.

:laugh:

If you don't like this forum, feel free to f*** off somewhere else. :lol:

Can I still quote revamped old stories though Dave ?

:D

Thanks for your permission, I might just do that (cue the smileys, and pathic jpg posts). And thanks for using your role, to add to the debate. If you read what I said you would realise my comment was not aimed at the forum in general but the quality of posts of late, that in turn was in response to a comment Matty made about on of IMO the few decent threads we've had of late.

But if you find you look more cool posting "well if you don't like it fuck off" then so be it.

I'm optimistic. I refuse to be pessimistic until we are 9-0 down at Old Trafford. Keegan will save us.*

*laughing manically.

I've a theory, which may be a bit nuts but anyway.

If Man United lose Ronaldo this summer other players may start doubting that whether in fact they should move on as they've achieved all they can and may want to repeat the same at a different club.  I'm not saying there will be a mass exodus but maybe just some little doubt's that flash in there heads as they play us again, as they assume they'll destroy us. 

If we can get at them from the outset, play a high tempo game,  get in their faces, kick them a bit etc we might get something.  It's not like it's impossible to beat Man U but small little doubts in players minds will assist that process.

Guest elbee909

Thanks for your permission, I might just do that (cue the smileys, and pathic jpg posts). And thanks for using your role, to add to the debate. If you read what I said you would realise my comment was not aimed at the forum in general but the quality of posts of late, that in turn was in response to a comment Matty made about on of IMO the few decent threads we've had of late.

But if you find you look more cool posting "well if you don't like it fuck off" then so be it.

Do what you want. :thup:

Guest FlapjackJoe

To be honest, I think it's realism that's kicked in, rather than negativity.

5 years ago, I thought we were on par with Liverpool and Chelsea.  However since then, Liverpool have overtaken us by quite some distance, the Abramovich millions obviously propelled them into a top 2 club, but now it looks as if Spurs and Manchester City are in a different class to us.  Spurs have been slowly building and improving their team season by season (besides the blip last season), and seem to have a great manager in charge.  Manchester City are in talks with Ronaldinho and apparently offering wages that even AC Milan can't match.  So those clubs can easily be considered "bigger" clubs than NUFC.

What that means is that we are effectively competing with the likes of Everton and Aston Villa.  If Portsmouth can keep up their performances over the last few seasons, and build the 36,000 stadium they were talking about, and if Blackburn Rovers' appointment of their next manager (Ince?) turns out to be a good move, it's very possible that we will fall even further behind them.  Which leaves us on par with the likes of West Ham.

We need 2 things to invigorate the club : Firstly, we need to make one or 2 star signings (without throwing money away on rubbish overpaid players like we did in recent years).  Players like Modric, Arshavin, Arda Turan who have got potential to propel us into a Top 7 team.  Secondly, we need to pick up some good results - like the 4-1 away win to Spurs - to galvanise the team and immediately improve morale and confidence.  Obviously meeting 2 top 4 teams in our first 3 outings is not ideal, but we will have to stay unbeaten at home until xmas (and hopefully win around 7 of the 9 home games in that time).  That's 23 points at home, and, hopefully, with 12 or so on our travel up to xmas, we will be in a good position and the team might use that as a springboard to launch an attempt to qualify for Europe.

I think last season we did sign a number of players we were very happy with (let's be honest, most people on this board were very happy with the signings of Barton, Smith and Geremi, despite not really setting the world alight in the past season.  Hell, even relatively unknown players like Jose Enrique, David Rozehnal and Habib Beye got us excited.  New era, new players and all that).  But if you don't follow that up with results, the season will peter out once more and negativity will set in once more.  I think our worst result last season was the 2-1 loss to Reading (worse than losing to Derby), because that was the start of the end of the season for the players.  Doubts crept in about how good we really were, and we lost the season at that point.  That must be avoided at all costs this season.