Viduka's future

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Viduka is currently doing what he does best, being injured, as he did for too much of the season just gone, and it wouldn't be a big gamble to say they same is going to happen in the following season.

So shifting him is a bit of a problem, especially since he's on obscene wages (apparently) So my question is: What do you think we should do with him?

A: Keep him, 1st team when fit

B: Get a younger replacement and have them battle for next season

C: Sell him for as much as we can

D: Give him away for free and get rid of £3-4m (apparently) a year off the wage bill

I can't see the club taken up the 3rd year option so in 12 months he's gone imo. Is he worth keeping for 12 months? Personally i say no, i'd try and sell him of course, but if we could simply offload him for nothing i'd take that option in an instant.

I'd get rid of him, for nothing if neccesary, but only after we've signed a replacement.

Yeah when i was thinking of D i was thinking of that and using his wages to almost buy the player outright!

To people suggesting B, one question for you, are you all f***ing crazy or what? :D  You're talking about keeping a player who we pay between £60,000 and £70,000 per week as backup... mental.

Better off with than without, B.

His wages are exagerrated in my opinion.

I doubt it.

£1.2m a week we dish out, its got to go somewhere.

Boro offered him £60kpw to stay so...

C. Based on his high wages (if true) and some teams may still be willing to pay. On his day he is a very useful player but we just don't see enough of him. Replacement is a must though!! and a back up to that replacement.

I would hope we would be going into the new season with a better strikeforce than

Oba, Owen, Viduka & Carroll (I am assuming that Shola will be gone by the start of the season)

Ideally Carroll on loan to a top Championship team or lower end Prem like Hull or Stoke! And Viduka sold, so at least 2 more forwards should be bought IMO.

B. When he was fit, and up for it, he was reliable. He's never going to be a guy that starts every match ever again, but with seven subs on the bench, we could do considerably worse.

Is this another case of only believing the press when it says what you want to think?

Why don't you pull out some pointless statistic to prove your case if it is then?

Three people have already voted D. :jesuswept:

Were these people on holiday for the last two months of the season or what?

He did a good job, well and effective one on his day, still had a lot of missing days amongst those though.

If he was fit every game then i really wouldn't have made the poll, but since he cannot be relied upon, and everyone is happy at our new wages cutting approach from Ashley, then Viduka really is a big target that needs taken out to suit the new streamline self supporting club, and not paying over the odds in wages for has beens and household names.

Is this another case of only believing the press when it says what you want to think?

Why don't you pull out some pointless statistic to prove your case if it is then?

If I wanted, I could pull out a comparison of win percentages with and without Viduka. The difference between the two would imply that Viduka has an impact on results on the pitch, and is therefore worth keeping.

Three people have already voted D. :jesuswept:

Were these people on holiday for the last two months of the season or what?

He did a good job, well and effective one on his day, still had a lot of missing days amongst those though.

If he was fit every game then i really wouldn't have made the poll, but since he cannot be relied upon, and everyone is happy at our new wages cutting approach from Ashley, then Viduka really is a big target that needs taken out to suit the new streamline self supporting club, and not paying over the odds in wages for has beens and household names.

At the end of the day, we can't afford to lose him. Even if we sell him, buy (for example) Gomis, whenever Gomis (or Oba for that matter) takes a knock, we're down to Smith or Carroll. Losing Vids is a non-starter imo.

D isn't even an option anyway, you can't just release a player of his wages, you'd have to pay up his contract because he'd have no reason to leave. I'm pretty certain it was a two-year deal rather than a one-year deal with an option for a years extension.

So option D would actually be give him almost £4m to get his wages off the wage bill.  O0

D isn't even an option anyway, you can't just release a player of his wages, you'd have to pay up his contract because he'd have no reason to leave. I'm pretty certain it was a two-year deal rather than a one-year deal with an option for a years extension.

So option D would actually be give him almost £4m to get his wages off the wage bill.  O0

No D is giving him to a club for nothing, no transfer fee to encourage a move.

If his wages are as high as they're always reputed to be, get him out now, on a free if necessary.

Then bring in 2 or 3 squad players whose wages would be covered by the savings made on Viduka's exit.  That's what Arnesen did when he first arrived at Spurs and it worked well.  Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for Newcastle.

B, but it depends entirely on who his replacement is as to whether we then get rid altogether. Assuming Owen and Martins stay - and depending on the formation Keegan wants to use - if the replacement is good enough, I'm not sure we need Viduka. He's a good player though and much more so than Carroll.

Look at it this way:

Viduka + Shola out, Derdiyok in = £3.5m transfer fees plus £3.64m saved wages

Smith + Shola out, Derdiyok in = £6.5m transfer fees plus £2.86m saved wages

What is better?