Oba And Out

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

'there i no way that Owen has a betterfirst touch than Martins'

I'm a Martins fan, but that there is completely and utterly wrong. Sorry.

Mate I'm loving the old skool Parky style quoting.  bluerazz.gif

Tryin to look at this from an objective side even if i am a big fan of Martins, i still feel that there i no way that Owen has a betterfirst touch than Martins.

They are about the same level on that, positioning is another thing, Owen is miles ahead of Martins there but at the same time Owen is older with more experience.

Otherwise Martins has a much better shot, is faster and is more of a "threat" then Owen.

I get the feeling that the opponents defence is more scared of Martins then they are with Owen, wich leads to my conclusion that Owen has a clear advantage because he can go in back rooms and "stealth" his way in towards the goal, on the opposite Martins has to work him self to more chances as the play is more based on Owen.

But all inn all they are quit similar in some areas, but Owen is by far the most experienced and tactiacal of them both.

Still rate Martins higher though futurewise.

depends...ball trickling along towards him control further than i can kick it.

ball from 50 yds over his shoulder he'll bring down perfectly.

if he done the hard stuff week after week he may get away with it. as it is he isn't that good that he can get away with not doing the basics week in and out.

Anyone who watches the games knows Owen's general movement is so much better than Oba. Oba is more likely to do something unexpected and outstanding, but for bread and butter football, finishing and consistency I'd take Owen every time. I'm aware Owen missed some sitters last season, but he'd been out for so long, and only this year with a proper pre-season behind him and the opportunity to gel (and hopefully sign a new cheaper deal) with the team and get his confidence back to his highest.

With Martins pace he should get many more chances than he does, but he ever so rarely makes the runs in behind defences - in fairness this does have a lot to do with lack of creativity and poor passes in the last few years. Maybe with a couple of players with real quality could make Martins a 20+ a season man, but at the moment he still has a lot of learning to do to improve his game.

That said, Martins' improvement did improve last season imo. Especially in the run of games towards the end of the year, where he was imperative to our success with the 4-3-3. Take a look at his goal against West Ham at Upton Park. Martins was already sprinting off before Barton had played the ball forward - there was one look and he was going from walking casually backwards, to sprinting forwards on goal. He'd already gained a yard and a half on the defender. That is one example of how he is starting to use his pace to better effect.

Even though he scored less goals, i feel that he was a better player last year, and will continue to improve. Of course, his 'lack' of goals (he did pretty well considering) largely came from being played on the wing for the first half of the season. If Keegan had been here all season and we'd been using that 4-3-3 for a much greater length of time, i think Martins would have profited just as much of Owen on the goalscoring front. I really think he can do exceptionally well under Keegan.

Guest Sniffer

Despite his spectacular goals, I still don't think martins knows how to play the game. His overall play still needs massive improvement if he wants to become a very good player.

An Old Friend

Mediawatch has felt there has been something missing from this summer. We couldn't quite put our finger on it, but there's certainly been something awry.

And then it came to us as we opened our copy of The Independent this morning.

For our old friend Jason Burt is once again pedalling his favourite rumour, namely that Obafemi Martins is on the verge, the cusp, a hair away from signing for Arsenal.

Quite why we should believe Mr Burt this time is beyond us, as the ace scribe and man with his ear pressed to the ground has been telling us for the past year or so that the move is all but done.

And yet again the mythical £13million buy-out clause in Martins' contract is cited as irrefutable proof that a deal is on the cards, a clause he wet his pants over on June 21 last year, then added two and two and came up with Arsenal on June 23 when Thierry Henry signed for Barcelona.

No fewer than twelve stories from Burt's quill later, and we're still waiting for the move.

We're sure it will happen any day now, Jason.

:laugh:

If he made it clear he wanted to leave (not saying he will btw), what would you realistically expect to get for Oba?

£12-£13m?

Crouch went for £11m and he was mainly used as a sub by Liverpool (I'm not sure how long left he had on his contract). Clubs are supposedly bidding around £11m for Andrew Johnson. I consider Martins to be important to us so at least £13m. I don't know who we would be able to persuade to join us who is better than him for less money.

In terms of raw energy, ability and enthusiasm I think he's great my concern with Oba is his lack of awareness;

He'll twist and turn then shoot from distance when an easy pass is on;

He'll rarely make runs down the channels and;

He doesn't seem to know what he's going to do next (See Tino for that too). In some respects that's his appeal but it limits the chances of building an effective relationship with a strike partner because second guessing him is impossible.

When I think of some of the best strike forces we've had in recent times (See Sir Les/Shearer, Shearer & Bellamy, Cole/Beardsley etc) they were so effective because of the awareness of each others games.

I swear sometimes Shearer and Bellamy would make passes into the other players space/channel without even looking up.

I can never see Martins having that kind of relationship with anyone and because of that, I think now might actually be the time to sell up.

KK will quickly spot this and I think he'll end up being a super sub (i.e: an upgrade of SBR's Lua Lua role) who can come on and do something unusual.

If he's not getting a game firstly he'll have the hump and secondly his value will plummet.

Personally, and not because I don't see the guys strengths, I'd sell him for anything north of the £10m we paid for the guy.

Puts tin hat on...............

In terms of raw energy, ability and enthusiasm I think he's great my concern with Oba is his lack of awareness;

He doesn't seem to know what he's going to do next (See Tino for that too). In some respects that's his appeal but it limits the chances of building an effective relationship with a strike partner because second guessing him is impossible.

When I think of some of the best strike forces we've had in recent times (See Sir Les/Shearer, Shearer & Bellamy, Cole/Beardsley etc) they were so effective because of the awareness of each others games.

I swear sometimes Shearer and Bellamy would make passes into the other players space/channel without even looking up.

I can never see Martins having that kind of relationship with anyone and because of that, I think now might actually be the time to sell up.

KK will quickly spot this and I think he'll end up being a super sub (i.e: an upgrade of SBR's Lua Lua role) who can come on and do something unusual.

If he's not getting a game firstly he'll have the hump and secondly his value will plummet.

Personally, and not because I don't see the guys strengths, I'd sell him for anything north of the £10m we paid for the guy.

Fair enough if you think that but who would we get to replace him? I wouldn't be happy with someone of Johnson's quality for £11m. Unless the club pull off a miracle like Blackburn did with Santa Cruz I can't see us getting a cheap replacement who is as good as Martins.

I find it hilarious that people believe that Wenger would pay that much for Oba, he had a decent enough first season not so good last season and the media are telling us he will pay the 13mill to get him :lol:

I find it hilarious that people believe that Wenger would pay that much for Oba, he had a decent enough first season not so good last season and the media are telling us he will pay the 13mill to get him :lol:

I wouldn't be happy with selling for any less. Especially when Johnson is being touted for £11m and has arguably not been as good.

The media also say that Arsenal are after Barry who we know Aston Villa want £18m for. Not like Arsenal to spend that sort of money on anyone.

Fair enough if you think that but who would we get to replace him? I wouldn't be happy with someone of Johnson's quality for £11m. Unless the club pull off a miracle like Blackburn did with Santa Cruz I can't see us getting a cheap replacement who is as good as Martins.

I'm not sure tbh. He would be an expensive super sub though if his reported £60k per week wage is anywhere near accurate.

If it's someone fast who can create something from nothing we might be able to chance a few million on a kid with potential or take a risk , as Blackburn did with Santa Cruz as you say, with someone from a different league.

I may be completely wrong and KK may play him every week for his unpredictability but this has it's costs and I reckon KK may eventually run out of patience with him.

I do agree with the Johnson and Crouch analogies made by others though. He should generate as much as them as he has proven an ability to score goals in the premiership.