Taylor Targets Top Six

BONTEMPI

Manorpark, you cant beat the pessimists.

on here optimism and wanting success are seen as insane diseases that need to be stamped out, by the doom and gloom mongers.

I have been caned in the past for backing Kk 100%

What an absolute load of s***.

Wanting the absolute best - fine.

Expecting to win the league any time soon - delusion.

Cheer up man, its not so bad

on here optimism and wanting success are seen as insane diseases that need to be stamped out, by the doom and gloom mongers.

Wanting the best - fine.

Your last sentence.

You, Dave, are the only one that said that.

Not (ever) accepting institutionalised mediocrity, is not the same thing as (per Dave) "expecting to win the league".

It is not (despite our shirt colour) all black or white Dave.

What is the problem on here?

Why the (fashionable) obsession with thinking/believing SMALL??

Dave - you are one of the main 'little-club thinkers' on here.  What is so much fun in that???

Guest Brummiemag

I want success just as much as anyone else and I have always backed KK 100%.  You can aim as high as you like but to finish in the top six based on our current squad would be a massive achievement. Unless we spend mega bucks, which is looking increasingly unlikely, then I think a upper to mid table position (8th to 11th), playing some decent football is a likely scenario. If we do end up finishing mid table, I will still be backing Keegan, unlike some who will no doubt be calling for his head like they were when we had a bad run back in Feb/March.   

Guest icemanblue

Wanting the best - fine.

Your last sentence.

Not (ever) accepting institutionalised mediocrity, is not the same thing as (per Dave) "expecting to win the league".

Dave - you are one of the main 'little-club thinkers' on here.  What is so much fun in that???

Ok, how is a top six finish with european qualification classed as 'mediocrity'?

I want success just as much as anyone else and I have always backed KK 100%.  You can aim as high as you like but to finish in the top six based on our current squad would be a massive achievement. Unless we spend mega bucks, which is looking increasingly unlikely, then I think a upper to mid table position (8th to 11th), playing some decent football is a likely scenario. If we do end up finishing mid table, I will still be backing Keegan, unlike some who will no doubt be calling for his head like they were when we had a bad run back in Feb/March.     

BUT - you do not AIM for that (and you do not 'salivate' at the prospect, as some seem to).

I a not talking about you.

Mediocrity breeds (even more) mediocrity.

If we "end up" sixth  -  FINE (super).

But you cannot AIM for that for goodness sake!

Wanting the best - fine.

Your last sentence.

Ok, how is a top six finish with european qualification classed as 'mediocrity'?

Think about it.

We sacked Robson - a short while ago - for finishing fifth.

Of course things have taken a turn for the worse (for us) since then, but . . .

We should not A I M (aim) so LOW!!

Guest icemanblue

Wanting the best - fine.

Your last sentence.

Think about it.

I give U P (up).

Wanting the best - fine.

Your last sentence.

Think about it.

I give U P (up).

Good (Gud!) !!

Wanting the absolute best - fine.

Cheer up man, its not so bad

:D

I'm optimistic about next season man. I'm optimistic about Keegan, and trying to be optimistic about the new owners.

But progress takes time, simple as that.

Wanting the best - fine.

Your last sentence.

You're the one claiming sixth is mediocrity, not me. If we finish sixth I'd expect us to progress from there. That's not accepting mediocrity.

I understand what manorpark is saying.  There's an old quote that goes something like this, "Shooting for the stars and landing on the moon is better than shooting for the moon and not making it."  The premise being to aim as high as possible because things will always happen that make you come up a little short.  I guess where I disagree is that aiming for a top six finish isn't really mediocrity, it's just another way to say, "Our goal is European football next year".  It's good to have goals but for a team, I'd rather they take it a game at a time and do all they can to win the next game.  If they do that, the long term plan falls into place a little easier.  

I don't think anyone is saying that 6th is the ultimate aim for the club in the long term, but to finish 6th next season is in my eyes optomistic, and I'll be having a street party if we've done it this time next year.

Good on Taylor for aiming for it, if he'd come out and said we're aiming for the title he'd have looked like a moron.

Keegan needs f***ing spitroasting if he doesn't win the league next season like.

Is your name Dave?

Have you read any of this thread?

:razz: Chomp.

Didn't realise this thread was exclusive though... ;)

I don't think anyone is saying that 6th is the ultimate aim for the club in the long term, but to finish 6th next season is in my eyes optomistic, and I'll be having a street party if we've done it this time next year.

Good on Taylor for aiming for it, if he'd come out and said we're aiming for the title he'd have looked like a moron.

Exactly.

Breakout season. Smudge will get it done.

(I'm saying this shit so much I'm actually starting to believe it!)

He's 27.

:lol: Late bloomer! 7 years of adequate play awaits, man. Get on the bus!(?)

We need a shit talking smiley or some kind.

Exactly.

Its nice when people agree with you isn't it.

Having said that, your previous post ("If we finish sixth I'd expect us to progress from there. That's not accepting mediocrity") is a major improvement over implying that people who did not agree with you were "expecting to win the league."

I think we all want what is best for the club, it is just that some people write like leonard Cohen (you need to be 'of a certain age'!!) on here, much of the time!

Just thought back to GCSE business studies (!), something called 'Hairy Audacious Targets' that businesses set - basically a ridiculously high goal that is never expected but is used to drive the staff on to mad levels of productivity.

Problem is if you make them too hairy and audacious everyone knows what you're upto and it never works. So a nice balance needs to be struck.

Just thought back to GCSE business studies (!), something called 'Hairy Audacious Targets' that businesses set - basically a ridiculously high goal that is never expected but is used to drive the staff on to mad levels of productivity.

Problem is if you make them too hairy and audacious everyone knows what you're upto and it never works. So a nice balance needs to be struck.

nice balance yes, this board is so unbalanced towards pesimism, in in danger of capsizing.

I don't see much evidence of that to be honest. I know I'd rather have a few years of solid rebuilding (if that's what we get) along the lines of Everton than a continued maniac rollercoaster of boom and bust.

That way we might have a chance of building something sustainable that won't collapse at the slightest misfortune.

I don't see much evidence of that to be honest. I know I'd rather have a few years of solid rebuilding (if that's what we get) along the lines of Everton than a continued maniac rollercoaster of boom and bust.

That way we might have a chance of building something sustainable that won't collapse at the slightest misfortune.

EVERTON?

no thanks