Another transfer done and dusted in a few hours...

Dave

Shame the Modric transfer (or lack of it) was not so efficient.

It is a shame and shows what can go wrong when potential deals are made public, all the more reason to keep them quiet.

Mick, the point is that you can't tell top players that are being courted by several other clubs to keep it quiet, nor can you make the selling club that is involved shut up about it. It is in bith their interests to forge the best possible deal for themselves, not us. That's why keeping things quiet will not work that well when we (hopefully) move onto bigger targets. Of course, when there's only one club interested and the player is not a high profile character that attracts a lot of media attention, keeping things quiet is far easier, but that in itself doesn't make them better signings. I can't believe I've had to explain this..

I'm not surprised in the slightest you've had to explain it

i've read it a few times and can't find where he makes out they are better signings because of it.

see the bold.

Anything that puts the fat b****** in a bad light is fair game, and must be explained when it isn't necessarily true, as you know. Thats Shepherd BTW, not Ashley.

I'm a bit surprised this is still going on to be honest. Some of us have explained it all in such a way that even a child could understand, if they want to of course.

yet other clubs can keep it quiet (unless they are attempting to unsettle them). remember the modric talks had been held well before the stroy broke from their end.

Mick, the point is that you can't tell top players that are being courted by several other clubs to keep it quiet, nor can you make the selling club that is involved shut up about it. It is in bith their interests to forge the best possible deal for themselves, not us. That's why keeping things quiet will not work that well when we (hopefully) move onto bigger targets. Of course, when there's only one club interested and the player is not a high profile character that attracts a lot of media attention, keeping things quiet is far easier, but that in itself doesn't make them better signings. I can't believe I've had to explain this..

You're right we can't tell players or clubs to keep quiet and I can't remember saying that we could so maybe you could help me out and show me where I did say that.  What we can do as a club is confirm nothing ourselves until the deal is done, then it's just seen as another rumour until we say we've done something.  Players and agents seem to use Newcastle as a means of getting a players name into the papers when they are looking for a move so us saying nothing makes anything we're doing just look like that.

Where did I mention the quality of signings will be better because of the way we have conducted ourselves?

You're right we can't tell players or clubs to keep quiet and I can't remember saying that we could so maybe you could help me out and show me where I did say that.  What we can do as a club is confirm nothing ourselves until the deal is done, then it's just seen as another rumour until we say we've done something.  Players and agents seem to use Newcastle as a means of getting a players name into the papers when they are looking for a move so us saying nothing makes anything we're doing just look like that.

Where did I mention the quality of signings will be better because of thw way we have conducted ourselves?

You haven't said any such thing, but you have implied you have been impressed with the way we have conducted ourselves in these two transfers and rubished my comment about the way a deal is done being related to the quality of the player involved. 

Fair enough on you liking to do our deals quietly. Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass about how we pull off deals, as long as the quality of the player's involved is up to scratch, and so far that doesn't seem to be the case. For that reason, I think applauding the new setup for the way they have pulled these deals off is a completely mood point. I'd rather focus on the squad we will be putting out next season, and I remain worried. To put things into perspective, I have been impressed with Pompey's transfer dealings this summer so far (and since a few seasons tbf), even though Redknapp has used the press an awful lot to his advantage in attracting players, and is still doing so with SWP. Do you think Portsmouth supporters will be complaining about the public way their club conducts their transfer business?

You haven't said any such thing, but you have implied you have been impressed with the way we have conducted ourselves in these two transfers and rubished my comment about the way a deal is done being related to the quality of the player involved. 

Fair enough on you liking to do our deals quietly. Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass about how we pull off deals, as long as the quality of the player's involved is up to scratch, and so far that doesn't seem to be the case. For that reason, I think applauding the new setup for the way they have pulled these deals off is a completely mood point. I'd rather focus on the squad we will be putting out next season, and I remain worried. To put things into perspective, I have been impressed with Pompey's transfer dealings this summer so far (and since a few seasons tbf), even though Redknapp has used the press an awful lot to his advantage in attracting players, and is still doing so with SWP. Do you think Portsmouth supporters will be complaining about the public way their club conducts their transfer business?

The only reason that I'm bothered about the way we do our transfer business is that it gives us a better chance of getting the players we're after if other clubs don't know that we're actually after a player.  It's been well publicised that we tried to get Rooney and would have got him if Man U hadn't come in for him after we'd gone in for him in the first place.  Man U only involved themselves once they found out that we had made a bid so if things had been done on the quiet then we might have got him.  The same applies to other players, if it gets out that we are after them then other clubs might decide that they also want the player.

Is this so difficult to understand?

The only reason that I'm bothered about the way we do our transfer business is that it gives us a better chance of getting the players we're after if other clubs don't know that we're actually after a player.  It's been well publicised that we tried to get Rooney and would have got him if Man U hadn't come in for him after we'd gone in for him in the first place.  Man U only involved themselves once they found out that we had made a bid so if things had been done on the quiet then we might have got him.  The same applies to other players, if it gets out that we are after them then other clubs might decide that they also want the player.

Is this so difficult to understand?

Sigh, it's simple really:

- buying club will always want to do the deal quietly to keep cost as low as possible;

- if player involved potentially has other options available or is a player who maybe is of a higher profile than he buying club itself, buying club can resort to courting via the press to make it clear to the player they are very keen on him;

- selling club will want to start an open auction involving other interested clubs with the aim to maximise it's earnings;

- player will want to strike the best possible combination of club/wages.

What you're saying isn't new or brilliant no matter how much you think it is. Nor is it something a club can adopt as a policy. A transfer involves at least three parties, and has its own dynamics depending on the profile of these parties.

- buying club will always want to do the deal quietly to keep cost as low as possible;

- if player involved potentially has other options available or is a player who maybe is of a higher profile than he buying club itself, buying club can resort to courting via the press to make it clear to the player they are very keen on him;

- selling club will want to start an open auction involving other interested clubs with the aim to maximise it's earnings;

What you're saying isn't new or brilliant no matter how much you think it is. Nor is it something a club can adopt as a policy. A transfer involves at least three parties, and has its own dynamics depending on the profile of these parties.

:jesuswept:

The reason NUFC needs to keep transfers quiet is that too many other clubs are capable of hijacking the player if he is any good - Man U can be relaxed about it because not many clubs can do that to them..

The same applies to Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

this will only apply when we sign (or indeed bid for?) someone of sufficient stature a club capable of hijacking the deal would be interested in, to date we're pretty f***ing far from that aren't we?

Notice that I said 'if he is any good.'..!!

I really don't have preferred method of how we do business as I am more interested in who we sign & how it turns out.

Everyone knew Fergie/Man Utd were after Anderson, Nani  Owen Hargreaves & Tevez & that seemed to work out canny. Rafa may have upset Villa & Spurs by going public but I think everyone knows them players want to go to Anfield now. Utilizing the media for some signings is part of reeling in process which big clubs have to do now to force sales through.

going public with bids where other clubs are interested is a no-no

In our current position keeping it quiet is a priority especially when spurs are around  ;D

At this point, I think it's fair to assume that if the press links us with someone we should take that as the clearest kind of evidence that we are not interested in said player.

I think the rags are realizing it too, hence the surprising lack of "newcastle linked with every fucking player under the sun" rumors in recent days.

Love the way the new board does business :celb:

his point is quite clear and correct. I'm sure most people understand.

The most important thing really, is management's ability to determine whether or not, and when, information within its control becomes public, as suits its purposes. It certainly can't control acts of other parties, but I get the sense that internal control of information in the past has been a problem (i.e., leaks not approved by management). If that has been taken care of it's a good thing.

His point was clear and in some cases correct, in other cases it would be wrong, I'm sure most people will understand that so I'm mentioning that for your benefit.

can anyone remember the last player transfer fee auction ? auction on the players wages yes but i am struggling to remember the last time i saw "club x have bid this ammount..ooohhh club y have bid more..club x wil have to top that" it's a bit pre-bosman.

if clubs x bids less than club y  but the player wants to go club x then the only decision if for the selling club to decide if it is enough.

can anyone remember the last player transfer fee auction ? auction on the players wages yes but i am struggling to remember the last time i saw "club x have bid this ammount..ooohhh club y have bid more..club x wil have to top that" it's a bit pre-bosman.

if clubs x bids less than club y  but the player wants to go club x then the only decision if for the selling club to decide if it is enough.

Owen?

Owen?

we paid was it 16mill. if liverpol had bid 14mill where would owen have moved ?

kewell is a better example.

Owen?

Probably, he was just the first example that came to mind.  The fact that there are so few examples shows where the power lies now.

Owen?

Probably, he was just the first example that came to mind.  The fact that there are so few examples shows where the power lies now.

the only examples i can thionk of are the very dodgy south american type deals when the player isn't owned by a club.

Guest johny2k

alot of chelsea signings over the past few years, and example swp, liverpool and arsenal were interested at the time, enter chelski gazumping everyone, when everyone was expecting at the time with iam wright's links to the gunners he'd have went there...

His point was clear and in some cases correct, in other cases it would be wrong, I'm sure most people will understand that so I'm mentioning that for your benefit.

this deal for Guthrie was kept quiet for the simple reason that nobody else gave a toss. Its as simple as that.

Quite clear.

Most players we have signed over the years have also been kept quiet too. I can name you lots if you like, and shoot you down in flames again for making up a load of rubbish if you don't acknowledge it.

this deal for Guthrie was kept quiet for the simple reason that nobody else gave a toss. Its as simple as that.

Quite clear.

Most players we have signed over the years have also been kept quiet too. I can name you lots if you like, and shoot you down in flames again for making up a load of rubbish if you don't acknowledge it.

Keegan is a poor judge of a player then presumably, if no one else wanted him ???