Man Utd and Liverpool reported to the Premier League

Dave

Guest quklaani

I can safely say that Mike Ashley has never tried to tap a player or manager up via the media.

Has he ever done anything in the media?

I suppose you lot are lucky you have a nice guy for a manager.  Then again, I used to think that about Benitez, what odds on Keegan getting corrupted?

I can't get my head around how expressing an interest in a player and then making official contact with their club can be considered tapping up, which is all United have done to be fair.

Players heads have always been turned by bigger clubs, just the way it goes. We've suffered from it ourselves...and also benefited.

so you dont see ther problem when team a's manager announces to the press he'd like player y. then player y starts itching for a move and players y's club.club q have a choice of having a player who wants away or giving in to club a at probably below the market value ?

Honestly? No.

It wasn't like he made an official statement anyway. He was asked if he was interested in Berbatov, he said yes, and will be making an offer. If the player is unsettled by that, well, that's just tough shit. If the club we're desperate to keep him they would, like Southgate has done with Downing for example.

Downing probably doesn't particularly want to leave though, he's making a hefty wedge playing for his hometown club. Bit different for Berbatov or Barry.

I think it's shocking that a top four side can just click their fingers and either take a player or leave you with an unhappy player who's neither use nor ornament and the FA will do nothing about it.

Whats the alternative though? Man Utd fax an offer to Spurs for Berbatov, Spurs let him know privately that a bid has been made but rejected. Surely his head is still going to be turned regardless of whether its in the media? Its part of football tbh, the big clubs sign the best players.

I can't get my head around how expressing an interest in a player and then making official contact with their club can be considered tapping up, which is all United have done to be fair.

Players heads have always been turned by bigger clubs, just the way it goes. We've suffered from it ourselves...and also benefited.

so you dont see ther problem when team a's manager announces to the press he'd like player y. then player y starts itching for a move and players y's club.club q have a choice of having a player who wants away or giving in to club a at probably below the market value ?

Honestly? No.

It wasn't like he made an official statement anyway. He was asked if he was interested in Berbatov, he said yes, and will be making an offer. If the player is unsettled by that, well, that's just tough s***. If the club we're desperate to keep him they would, like Southgate has done with Downing for example.

Downing probably doesn't particularly want to leave though, he's making a hefty wedge playing for his hometown club. Bit different for Berbatov or Barry.

I think it's shocking that a top four side can just click their fingers and either take a player or leave you with an unhappy player who's neither use nor ornament and the FA will do nothing about it.

true....it's a recent thing as i'm aware,any of the older folks (ne5,billytray etc) remember this type of thing happening pre say 1990)

Whats the alternative though? Man Utd fax an offer to Spurs for Berbatov, Spurs let him know privately that a bid has been made but rejected. Surely his head is still going to be turned regardless of whether its in the media? Its part of football tbh, the big clubs sign the best players.

They have no reason to let him know about any bid.

nail on head

He's got a right to know iyam.

Why? If it's rejected, he's not leaving anyway. If he's that bothered about wanting to be away, he shouldn't have put his name on a five year contract in the first place.

Why? If it's rejected, he's not leaving anyway. If he's that bothered about wanting to be away, he shouldn't have put his name on a five year contract in the first place.

or if he wanted away he would put in an official transfer request

Guest Mcdonald36

Not just the top four clubs though is it. We could quite easily do the same to a smaller club.

It's always been the way, but obviously now it's reported a lot more.

I'd have a lot more respect for Levy if he'd come out and said 'they were reporting Man Utd and neither player would be sold'. But he made sure he emphasised that it was the players desire to leave. It just comes across as a self preservation PR stunt the day after his manager was in the press talking about having to sell their best players if the right offers comes along to balance the books.

Not just the top four clubs though is it. We could quite easily do the same to a smaller club.

It's always been the way, but obviously now it's reported a lot more.

I'd have a lot more respect for Levy if he'd come out and said 'they were reporting Man Utd and neither player would be sold'. But he made sure he emphasised that it was the players desire to leave. It just comes across as a self preservation PR stunt.

i dont think it has always been that way but now the clubs are using the press to do some underhanded business.

Guest Mcdonald36

According to those inside football, tapping up is extremely common.

"It is happening all the time," said Cascarino.

Current Aston Villa manager David O'Leary claims he was tapped up several times while he was an Arsenal player in the 1980s.

"We all know what goes on in the game," said O'Leary.

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary

"Everyone knows it is happening. It is just about how blatant someone is in doing it."

BBC Sport columnist Alan Hansen is also in no doubt that tapping up is part of football.

"It has been going on since the beginning of time," said Hansen. "Everybody knows it is going on."

That was just a quick google search.

According to those inside football, tapping up is extremely common.

"It is happening all the time," said Cascarino.

Current Aston Villa manager David O'Leary claims he was tapped up several times while he was an Arsenal player in the 1980s.

"We all know what goes on in the game," said O'Leary.

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary

"Everyone knows it is happening. It is just about how blatant someone is in doing it."

BBC Sport columnist Alan Hansen is also in no doubt that tapping up is part of football.

"It has been going on since the beginning of time," said Hansen. "Everybody knows it is going on."

That was just a quick google search.

and when it is found it should be punished

Given Spurs' tapping-up of Juande Ramos last summer behind Sevilla's backs, Leeds still waiting for £200,000 compensation for them poaching Poyet, and they way they went about signing Bostock, Spurs are the last ones who can whinge. What goes around, comes around...and that applies for pretty much every football club going.

Guest Mcdonald36

Given Spurs' tapping-up of Juande Ramos last summer behind Sevilla's backs, Leeds still waiting for £200,000 compensation for them poaching Poyet, and they way they went about signing Bostock, Spurs are the last ones who can whinge. What goes around, comes around...and that applies for pretty much every football club going.

Spot on.

It's the fans I feel sorry for.

I'll tell you who's the worst for this type of thing but f*ck all gets said because he's the lovable Cockney rogue, and that's Harry Redknapp. If, "I'd love to sign Peter Crouch but the fee would be too high. Something more like £10m would be interesting" isn't tapping up, and then saying, "I'd love to bring Shaun Wright-Phillips to this club", etc. isn't tapping up then I don't know what is.

Guest kingdawson

Agree with the Ramos bit but the other 2 are non starters for me. We couldnt agree a fee with Palace for Bostock so it went to a tribunal, what exactly is wrong with that? As for the poyet bit, i'm not aware that Leeds are still owed money.

Everyone doing it doesn't make it right though. ???

Guest kingdawson

We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

"Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission.

People still seemed to have completly missed the point.

Everyone doing it doesn't make it right though. ???

That's my point though. Spurs have been one of the worst for doing this so can hardly whinge when someone does it to them. Everyone does it and it stinks.

Fair to play the Spurs board and I hope something will come of it although I doubt anything serious will unfortunately as with a lot of shit in the game it has now become the norm for this to happen and for there to be no repuccusions.

...and Spurs are no angels in this respect.

truth is if spurs were complaining about rochdale,,,,,,,rochdale would get a fine and points taken off them. but shit...it;s two clubs whom the media and FA love.....erm lets ignore it and hpe it blows over

Guest hodsgod

Sounds like PR to shift the blame and stop a fans revolt after selling their best players. Levy is transparent as f***.

Spurs unsettled Chimbonda for months after Whelan insisted that he wasn't for sale, and they blatently tapped up Poyet and Ramos while he was still at Sevilla.

Goes on all the time. Spurs fans will just blame United now instead of their incompetent board.

Ramos was in the press yesterday talking about balancing the books. Absolute joke of a club.

Those rules don't count for the international movement of management and coaches.

As far as I recall Spurs weren't linked at all to Chimbonda before he asked for a transfer.

No doubt in my mind it is just a tactic to get more money. They broke the rules and Levy is trying to screw them for it. Ramos substituted Keane and pissed him off in so many games last season.  Berbatov is a moody bastard and shouldn't stay at a team where he isnt popular. It's all politics to maximise the price of two pkayers Spurs want to sell on.