Milner in the Centre

steve_69

His attitude has always been spot-on. He's been hawked around and offered to other clubs but he's never (I think) come out and started whinging or complaining to the rags.

I can't think of a single complaint and he had reasons to winge considering the way both Souness and Roeder seemed to go looking for ways to piss him off.

His attitude has always been spot-on. He's been hawked around and offered to other clubs but he's never (I think) come out and started whinging or complaining to the rags.

I can't think of a single complaint and he had reasons to winge considering the way both Souness and Roeder seemed to go looking for ways to piss him off.

Yup, especially when you consider his attitude compared to that certain French lad we have who for the last 2 seasons can do no wrong even though he has been playing absolutely garbage for most of it.

the last few years even the players playing in the middle have had few options due to no movement.  quite often wide players get as many options due to full backs over lapping which centre halves rarely do (ie push up past the midfield)

Try playing on the wing and hitting balls to Smith.  :lol:

the last few years even the players playing in the middle have had few options due to no movement.  quite often wide players get as many options due to full backs over lapping which centre halves rarely do (ie push up past the midfield)

Try playing on the wing and hitting balls to Smith.  :lol:

try playing in the middle and hitting balls to smith

Yup, especially when you consider his attitude compared to that certain French lad we have who for the last 2 seasons can do no wrong even though he has been playing absolutely garbage for most of it.

Wonderboy can never do wrong!

I can think of another two from the same country and playing in the same position that let both themselves and the team down at times for reasons which they believed they had.  I still liked them as players but they could have learned a lesson from Milner.  They would have been much better players for it and may have become the players they probably thought they were.

I can think of another two from the same country and playing in the same position that let both themselves and the team down at times for reasons which they believed they had.  I still liked them as players but they could have learned a lesson from Milner.  They would have been much better players for it and may have become the players they probably thought they were.

I agree about them btw even if they were both class for us, Charlie will never reach the level of either IMO.

I agree about them btw even if they were both class for us, Charlie will never reach the level of either IMO.

If N'Zogbia is going to become the player we probably thought that he could become then this is a massive season for him.  He's now got a manager who will do everything possible to give him the freedom to play an attacking game but he's got to earn that chance and he'll only do that by getting his head down and playing football.

Is this thread some sort of pisstake?! :lol:

Around 200 first team appearances throughout his career and he's still fucking shite, on par with Matthew Etherington ability wise and i wouldn't want him in our starting 11 either.

Around 200 first team appearances throughout his career and he's still f***ing s****, on par with Matthew Etherington ability wise and i wouldn't want him in our starting 11 either.

course it's a piss take...i organised it for you as a welcome back present.

Around 200 first team appearances throughout his career and he's still f***ing s****, on par with Matthew Etherington ability wise and i wouldn't want him in our starting 11 either.

Well it's better than the usual shite craic you knock out.

Well it's better than the usual s**** craic you knock out.

awwww i've missed you

a winger should have a lower passing accuracy than a central midfielder as they should be attempting more risky passes and crosses, and also a CM has players on all 4 sides which he can pass to whereas a winger is often limited to passing back to the full-back or sideways to a central midfielder.

however i often see milner take the safe option and come inside as he doesn't have the technical ability or pace to beat a player down the flank, so you'd expect his passing stats to be higher. maybe it's those useless crosses from 50 yards out that brings his percentage down. if you ever see milner take it past someone on the outside you'll see him twist and turn like a whirling dervish to create any sort of space or to unbalance his opponent. you simply can't do that in the middle of the park so his ability to beat a player will be nullified. his first-touch also leaves a lot to be desired and with the limited space you get in the middle of the pitch i can't see him ever having the time to do anything creative. his short passing is also pretty average and i don't think he's ever shown the type of movement or reading ofthe game you need to excel in the middle. is he also strong enough or good enough in the air to deal with very physical players week in, week out? doubt it. he can get away with this, or lacking pace, if he has other elements to his game, but he doesn't.

he does have a good shot but like i said, his ability to create space in congested areas is so poor that he rarely gets the time or space to get shots away, despite the fact that 9 times out of 10 he comes inside. he was only able to exploit his shooting at under-21 level because of the poor quality of opponents he was up against. and anyway, most central-midfielder who score regularly do so by arriving late in and around the box and by having excellently timed runs, and to mention his movement again, i havent seen any of this from milner.

Milner would have more options if he played through the middle.

what options ? To do what ?

a winger should have a lower passing accuracy than a central midfielder as they should be attempting more risky passes and crosses, and also a CM has players on all 4 sides which he can pass to whereas a winger is often limited to passing back to the full-back or sideways to a central midfielder.

however i often see milner take the safe option and come inside as he doesn't have the technical ability or pace to beat a player down the flank, so you'd expect his passing stats to be higher. maybe it's those useless crosses from 50 yards out that brings his percentage down. if you ever see milner take it past someone on the outside you'll see him twist and turn like a whirling dervish to create any sort of space or to unbalance his opponent. you simply can't do that in the middle of the park so his ability to beat a player will be nullified. his first-touch also leaves a lot to be desired and with the limited space you get in the middle of the pitch i can't see him ever having the time to do anything creative. his short passing is also pretty average and i don't think he's ever shown the type of movement or reading ofthe game you need to excel in the middle. is he also strong enough or good enough in the air to deal with very physical players week in, week out? doubt it. he can get away with this, or lacking pace, if he has other elements to his game, but he doesn't.

he does have a good shot but like i said, his ability to create space in congested areas is so poor that he rarely gets the time or space to get shots away, despite the fact that 9 times out of 10 he comes inside. he was only able to exploit his shooting at under-21 level because of the poor quality of opponents he was up against. and anyway, most central-midfielder who score regularly do so by arriving late in and around the box and by having excellently timed runs, and to mention his movement again, i havent seen any of this from milner.

Milner would have more options if he played through the middle.

what options ? To do what ?

what options ?

To do what  ?

sureley you can expandd on your own comment  mackems.gif

I would like to see Milner in the middle of the park as his lack of pace limits him when out on the wing

There's something in that, and a new position is worth a go.

What I'd really like to see is an attacking midfielder who can make runs into the box, beyond the strikers, and getting on the end of chances, like Cahill, or Rob Lee. I can't quite see Milner doing that - but let's see.