Milner in the Centre

steve_69

When he is completely shite there what will we do with him? Put him at centre half and say its not his fault he isnt fast enough, tall enough etc?

Guest elbee909

When he is completely shite there what will we do with him? Put him at centre half and say its not his fault he isnt fast enough, tall enough etc?

:lol:

It's Kieron Dyer all over again.

I'd assumed Guthrie was going to be our DM for the future? Didn't Keegan say something to that effect recently? So I'd imagine he and Butt will be competing for a spot at the start of the season, with the other providing back-up. I think we're fine at DM, but we could definitely do with a quality attack minded central player.

As for Milner in the center, I think it could work in a 4-3-3 with a proper DM and a playmaker beside him, allowing Milner to play the box-to-box role. Reckon he'd be useful there, but in a 4-4-2 where he'd be expected to pull the strings for us going forward I can't see him proving a success at all.

Just because Damien Duff scores a hat-trick everyone thinks he should play, he will have to play well in every pre-season match to tell me if he should start in the coming season, because he has been abysmal since joining, takes more than a match against 'pool for me to think hes good.

Same with Milner in the middle, if KK plans are for him in the middle, then he must do a good job throughout most of the pre-season.

N'Zogbia will be a massive player next season imo, hopefully in the Barton/Geremi role of last season.

My midfield would be:

Butt

Spiderman/Milner      N'Zogbia

Guthrie/Barton (may be good in this role)               

Unless Keegan plays 4-4-2, then that is the chance to test out Milner in the middle.

Not sure Milner has the mobility to do it in the middle of the park. He's got a good engine and he'll run all day but he's not 'nippy' enough imo. I've explained that poorly tbh.

What I mean is he's got the stamina but not the speed to get him all over when and where he's needed.

Still sounds shit but I know what I mean.  :-[

Not sure Milner has the mobility to do it in the middle of the park. He's got a good engine and he'll run all day but he's not 'nippy' enough imo. I've explained that poorly tbh.

What I mean is he's got the stamina but not the speed to get him all over when and where he's needed.

His movement isn't fast enough you mean :)

Aye, I suppose. He's a plodder who'll not stop running......just not quickly enough to get about the park.

I've seen nothing in Guthrie to suggest he's ready to take over the role of a holding man any time soon.

Yeah nor have I but it's not like we're stocked up with other options as it stands. Obviously I hope that situation changes by the end of the window.

I like Milner alot, quality young player! Very versatile. Yes give him a run in the middle, see how he does. deffo keep him though for the wing even if it doesn't work out in the middle.

I hope Guthrie comes in and is a better player, one friendly against Hartlepool where Duff got a hattrick probably isn't the best place to judge though.

Does that count as a bite?

A fair bite though.

Guest Stephen927

Worth a try during pre-season, he has the engine to do it effectively but not the quality and he'll be shown up in that role in the Premiership imo.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think he has very similar attributes to Frank Lampard.

Very good fitness levels

Good on both sids

Not the quickest

Great shot off both sides

I think it could work, as long as he is given the opportunity to progress by the management AND the fans

Very good fitness levels

Good on both sids

Not the quickest

I think it could work, as long as he is given the opportunity to progress ny the management AND the fans

That's the fucking post of the year.

I think he's more like Ronaldo though, so perhaps we could stick him up front from time to time.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Very good fitness levels

Good on both sids

Not the quickest

I think it could work, as long as he is given the opportunity to progress ny the management AND the fans

That's the f***ing post of the year.

I think he's more like Ronaldo though, so perhaps we could stick him up front from time to time.

lowest form of wit!

Still sounds s*** but I know what I mean.  :-[

Aye, I suppose. He's a plodder who'll not stop running......just not quickly enough to get about the park.

Personally find the idea that Milner is so slow that he can't even play in the center of the park laughable.

The man's not a tortoise FFS. Slower players have played at CM just fine.

Just because Damien Duff scores a hat-trick everyone thinks he should play

No-one is saying that.

Tbf in the match thread a canny few were actually talking about a resurgence in him without actually seeing him at said match, when yes he scored a hat-trick against lower league opposition but it was still the same old Duff.

Personally find the idea that Milner is so slow that he can't even play in the center of the park laughable.

you're not allowed to say that,pace is everything,technique,vision and reading of the game are pointless if he's not an olympic standard sprinter.

Agreed. Milner just needs to make more goals and score them to be considered a viable prospect as an attacking midifelder.

Just because Damien Duff scores a hat-trick everyone thinks he should play

No-one is saying that.

Tbf in the match thread a canny few were actually talking about a resurgence in him without actually seeing him at said match, when yes he scored a hat-trick against lower league opposition but it was still the same old Duff.

Fair enough.

Never said he was tbh. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he does if or when Keegan decides to play him as a CM.