Milner in the Centre

steve_69

Whoever we put in midfield, someone's going to have to do some tackling. Our priority is to get in a DM who can pass the ball. That'd make a big difference. Until then, it feels like we're tinkering around the edges of the problem.

Whoever we put in midfield, someone's going to have to do some tackling. Our priority is to get in a DM who can pass the ball. That'd make a big difference. Until then, it feels like we're tinkering around the edges of the problem.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Butt

I can't help but feel that this idea is the sort of optimistic fantasy that sounds good in the summer but turns out to be a flop when we suddenly remember in mid August that Milner is pretty poor whereas most of the players playing central midfield in other Premiership sides are real quality.

The answer isn't to shuffle around average talent and hope they suddenly click.  It isn't happening.  This problem is only getting fixed in the transfer market.

Butt

Nah.

Butt

Is 34 this campaign and well past his best.  He wouldn't get a game at Man City, Villa, Pompey or Spurs.  We need a defensive midfielder AND an attacking midfielder IMO.

Milner's weakness as a winger has always been his lack of pace. Put him in the centre and he has less need for that, with the added benefit of not being forced into trying speculative crosses.

Like KK says, he's got a great engine and technique-wise I think he's one of the better players in the Premiership. (There, I said it, let the flames begin :frantic:)

I say it's worth a shot. He's only a mediocre winger as it is, worst case scenario he becomes a mediocre central midfielder. Good squad player either way, but I think CM plays more to his strengths and gives us a shot at making him worth much more to us than he is now.

I would be very surprised if Keegan plays Milner as a centre midfielder.

I don't even think he could play right side of a three never mind in a flat centre two. 

He is a Winger and despite what people say a good one at that.

You were doing so well until the last line...

Butt

Is 34 this campaign and well past his best.  He wouldn't get a game at Man City, Villa, Pompey or Spurs.  We need a defensive midfielder AND an attacking midfielder IMO.

His last 10 games or so of last season in Keegan system would disagree with that.

I thought Nicky Butt was arguably our best and most improved player in those matches with Keegan's system, his performance at White Hart Lane in particular I thought was one of the best of any in the season in my opinion.

Think we need a DM and an AM as the bare minimum before the season starts.

If we get a CB and a striker on top of that, I'd feel good about our European chances.

If the whole "Milner in the center" thing works out, I suppose our AM options are good enough with Milner, Barton, and Guthrie to choose from, although it's been mentioned by KK that he's looking to convert Barton into a DM

Butt

His last 10 games or so of last season in Keegan system would disagree with that.

I thought Nicky Butt was arguably our best and most improved player in those matches with Keegan's system, his performance at White Hart Lane in particular I thought was one of the best of any in the season in my opinion.

But he doesn't do it for a full season does he?  It's all well and good pointing out the handful of times Butt has played really well (or Milner for that matter) but they have both contributed to a team that has achieved absolutely nothing for the last several seasons.  Getting a 34 year old to pretend he's 27 and an average winger to pretend he's a Premiership standard central midfielder are another two miracles Keegan will have to perform without new signings.  It's a ridiculous situation.  Give the man some quality FFS.  I'm tired of these wasters.

I don't want Butt as first choice DM.

and thats why we need to buy one!

Exactly. Have him as cover, sure, but he won't last a whole season. Nor do I expect him to be consistent, given his age.

Nothing actually shocks me any more, the majority have been saying that if Milner has any future and wants to develop it would be in the centre, then Keegan comes out with the same sort of thinking, then everyone uses it to have a moan about the so-called lack of transfer activity, absolutely ridiculous.

Hard to think what he'd contribute in central midfield, other than being another "honest" hard worker who might be able to hit a decent cross/shot if he gets enough attempts.

Who knows though.

Wouldn't be the first average winger KK has converted to a top class central midfielder. Here's hoping.

Gary Speed was also a winger when we signed him from Everton. Certainly remember him playing alot of games on the left of midfield for them, and iirc did so for us at the start before being switched over by Sir Bobby.

Wouldn't be the first average winger KK has converted to a top class central midfielder. Here's hoping.

Gary Speed was also a winger when we signed him from Everton. Certainly remember him playing alot of games on the left of midfield for them, and iirc did so for us at the start before being switched over by Sir Bobby.

Speed never truely was happy playing out on the left wing ever since he left Leeds. He started with us on the Left side, cos basically since Dalglish go rid of our world class winger, we had no one to fill that roll. Speed early days with us got a fair amount of stick from some very fickle fans, but really he was playing out of position, once he moved inside we saw what a quality player he was. Everton fans absolutely hate him though, I have no idea what went on there, they used to have a song for him "Oh Gary, Gary....Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Shithouse Speed" Love Everton fans they're the best

:idiot2:

Speed never truely was happy playing out on the left wing ever since he left Leeds. He started with us on the Left side, cos basically since Dalglish go rid of our world class winger, we had no one to fill that roll. Speed early days with us got a fair amount of stick from some very fickle fans, but really he was playing out of position, once he moved inside we saw what a quality player he was. Everton fans absolutely hate him though, I have no idea what went on there, they used to have a song for him "Oh Gary, Gary....Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Shithouse Speed" Love Everton fans they're the best

:idiot2:

http://www.nufc.com/html/speed-house.html

Butt

His inability to pass would rule Butt out.