Given to Blackburn?

Guest nufc_geordie

Heard on TalkSport tonight that they have agreed to let Freidel go but that was reliant upon the bid they have made for an unknown keeper being accepted. Sounds entirely feasible to me. A few seasons ago I would have been gutted but after Harpers performance the last few games of the season I'm not that bothered. We should get decent cash for him as well.

That coupled with Krul/Foster/Sodeburg we are pretty much covered for future keepers as all of them have got massive potential.

Time to bring some new blood on perhaps?? 

Man Shitty didnt do too badly using younguns?

Guest shearer_united

I would like to see both Given and Harper having a testimonial (and ending their careers) at this club - Newcastle United.

But if they were to play at another club I wish them the best for their careers; in the end they are just players and are paid to play at a club.

I'd be against this.  He's had a rough time but I still think he's our best keeper.  It also sends out completely the wrong message when trying to attract players as he is seen as one of our best ones

Guest sicko2ndbest

Daily Mail

Paul Robinson has agreed to end his nightmare at Tottenham by signing for Paul Ince's Blackburn.

The former England No1 will join Rovers in a £3.5m deal as he looks to resurrect his career and regain his England spot following a miserable 12 months for club and country.

Rover and out: Paul Robinson has ended his four-year spell at Tottenham by signing for Blackburn.

The ex-Leeds keeper, 28, will replace Brad Friedel at Ewood Park as Blackburn have accepted Aston Villa's £2.75m offer for the American veteran.

Ince was keen to keep Friedel, 37, but Blackburn could not compete with Villa's offer of a three-year deal that will double his wages.

Robinson's move from north London to Lancashire is not believed to be linked in any way to David Bentley's proposed switch in the opposite direction, although Spurs are still confident of agreeing a deal for the England midfielder.

Guest Petay

Am I in the minority who would be massively pissed off by this?  How fickle you are, he's been a legend for several years, totally ignoring the overtures of other clubs and conducting himself with a dignity rarely seen in today's game (you need think no further than one £120,000 a week player comparing himself to someone who was force to work for no pay in often brutal conditions).

cannot believe that people are turning on given now. he's had a few great seasons followed by one below-par one. i'd say give him a chance but he's got nothing to prove. still one of the best in the premiership.

cannot believe that people are turning on given now. he's had a few great seasons followed by one below-par one. i'd say give him a chance but he's got nothing to prove. still one of the best in the premiership.

I don't think anyone's 'turning on him' - more some are saying he's not as good as he was and if the deal is good enough, they'd be willing to cash in on him. I'd be quite happy to keep him here if the bid was shit.  :thup:

Guest LucaAltieri

Yeah 'only one bad season'... but if he has a stinker next season who will be the first to say "we should have taken that Blackburn bid when we had the chance"?

Given isn't going to get any better at this stage, it's only downhill from here. If we've got cover and the bid is good enough then he's certainly a player we need to replace sooner or later.

If we leave it too late then it will cause problems a la Shearer.

Guest Petay

HE IS A KEEPER, not a striker, not a pacy attacking midfielder, he's got more than a couple of good sesons in him yet.

I would agree, wouldn't be too bothered if he went, best days are behind him.

usually with keepers their best days start in their mid 30`s and Given has just turned 32.

Agree though, I wouldn:t be arsed if he was sold. Hopefully he doesnt walk straight back in to the first XI like he did in the past (or he`ll throw a tantrum)