Given to Blackburn?

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest optimistic nit

i think we are forgetting just how good given has been in the last 7-8 years. harper is a good goalkeeper, yes, but if he was a number one, he would be playing for fulham or wigan, if we want to challenge top 8, we would need something better.  he has had one hit or miss season, aye, but i get the feeling selling him now, to a rival, would be a big mistake. krul and foster are both too young to have the number one jersey, harper is not good enough to be our number one, and i cant think of an afforable gk that could fill given´s shoes, or one that would sign for newcastle, so i hope to god we dont sell him.

Guest diddimz

Would need to be that kinda offer you can't so no to, otherwise there would be no point, Harper is good, but if he can regain his form, he is irreplaceable.

I can't believe how poorly you're treating our most loyal player.

tbf, Harper has been more loyal than Given - he's sat on the bench his whole career knowing he was as good as Given yet not given (no pun intended) the proper chance and that when he was, it was taken from him unfairly as soon as Given bitched to the press.

(and your OP is fixed).

peoples perceptions of given have changed since harper proved he's probably just as good with a run of games...at one point his sale was unthinkable though eh?

there's the general belief that krul is quality back up as well

still don't think he's going anywhere personally but if we got a bid of 5m say, in our apparent financially restricted state it might well be good business for us as we seemed stacked with keepers

Despite the fact that I rate both Given and Harper as high quality premiership standard keepers (with Shay at point one of the best), I really do not think we should stunt Krul's development. I know it's early days for him yet, but from a personal point of view, I wouldn't want him to get itchy feet and end up pissing off somewhere else. I think he is the biggest hope we have of a youngster becoming a fixture in our side and his international side.

Love Given personally, and have met the chap on one occasion in Cyprus, and he was terrific. But if he's gotta go, he's gotta go.

£4-5m for Given or £2m for Krul?

I'd take the money for Shay to be honest

If Krul was a fledgling keeper at Arsenal or Man U he'd be going for at least 5 or 6 million himself. Look at the price bandied about for Carson when he first broke onto the scene.

£4-5m for Given or £2m for Krul?

I'd take the money for Shay to be honest

If Krul was a fledgling keeper at Arsenal or Man U he'd be going for at least 5 or 6 million himself. Look at the price bandied about for Carson when he first broke onto the scene.

He ended up going for about £750k didn't he form Leeds?

Take your point though and re Carson, didn't Villa pay a £2m loan fee for him (backing up your point)?

Can't believe this thread has got to 3 pages long when it's blatantly obvious that there is going to be no deal involving Given and Blackburn: I bet a bazillion English pounds that Blackburn will sign Robinson from Spurs, and it will probably have some bearing on Bentley going the other way as well.

Givens our best keeper in premiership history and should end his career here. I can't believe all the people writing off, he's had some bad luck and some bad injuries. I think he'll be our no. 1 this season and prove what a valuable asset he still is. Harper is a very solid keeper but for sheer innate ability, Shay was and im betting still is clearly superior.

Shows exactly how fickle so many people on here actually are. From being the clubs best player consistently for around five years, after one horrifically bad injury he's now practically become a dead weight. Absolutely mental.

Shows exactly how fickle so many people on here actually are. From being the clubs best player consistently for around five years, after one horrifically bad injury he's now practically become a dead weight. Absolutely mental.

Spot on. Some of the comments beggar belief considering the standard of the keepers that went before Shay. Hardwick, McKellar, Hooper anyone?

It's nothing to do with being fickle iyam, there's no place for sentiment in the world of football, something which we should have learned from Shearer.

Exactly.

Shay has been fantastic for us over the past 10 years or so, but if there are indicators that his injury will not fully heal or he is on the way down its time to sell. The coaching/medical staff will know this, they will also know if he appears back to his best in training and can make the judgement accordingly.

It's nothing to do with being fickle iyam, there's no place for sentiment in the world of football, something which we should have learned from Shearer.

f*** that..

there's no place for sentiment, yeah.. if you're a fickle Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd glory hunter bullshit fan

I have no problem idolising the players that have given their all for the club and showed not only their loyalty but their class for Newcastle..

I have no problem with Given remaining in the club, even if he's not as good as he was, because he's a legend in my eyes.. same with Shearer, in retrospect, playing him till the end might've cost us a few points, but he's been loyal to us and we as fans should remain loyal to him.. that's what being a supporter is all about if you know what i mean

I would agree, wouldn't be too bothered if he went, best days are behind him.

Agreed, but unlikely he would leave unless the wages were almost up to SJP levels - would rather he left than Harper - poss p/x deal ..??

f*** that..

there's no place for sentiment, yeah.. if you're a fickle Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd glory hunter bullshit fan

I have no problem idolising the players that have given their all for the club and showed not only their loyalty but their class for Newcastle..

I have no problem with Given remaining in the club, even if he's not as good as he was, because he's a legend in my eyes.. same with Shearer, in retrospect, playing him till the end might've cost us a few points, but he's been loyal to us and we as fans should remain loyal to him.. that's what being a supporter is all about if you know what i mean

Comments like this show why NUFC are also-rans, and the clubs mentioned as having 'Glory-Hunter' fans are successful ; too many NUFC fans accept unprofessional and sentimental attitudes as the norm from the club, and reflect it themselves - there is no comparison in the case of Shearer, who was himself the ultimate professional and probably used to despair at some of the stupid things done by the club whilst he was a player. Shearer DESERVED some professionalism from the club when he was playing there because he should have been playing for(and with)people who wanted the same things as him - consistent success on the field..he should have ended hid career with a load of medals instead of 2 losing FA Cup medals and ONE EPL winners medal from Blackburn. IF he had become manager, you can bet your life that he would have sold Given if he thought the club would benefit from it.

f*** that..

Comments like this show why NUFC are also-rans, and the clubs mentioned as having 'Glory-Hunter' fans are successful ; too many NUFC fans accept unprofessional and sentimental attitudes as the norm from the club, and reflect it themselves - there is no comparison in the case of Shearer, who was himself the ultimate professional and probably used to despair at some of the stupid things done by the club whilst he was a player. Shearer DESERVED some professionalism from the club when he was playing there because he should have been playing for(and with)people who wanted the same things as him - consistent success on the field..he should have ended hid career with a load of medals instead of 2 losing FA Cup medals and ONE EPL winners medal from Blackburn. IF he had become manager, you can bet your life that he would have sold Given if he thought the club would benefit from it.

Exactly.

Keegan would also do the same if he believes we will benefit from it, their appears to be this perception of KK as a bit of a soft touch, but he's far from it.

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

given to blackburn...

leo messi to luton...

drogba to energie cottbus...

ronaldihno to empoli...

what else...