Ashley's recruitment men Wise, Jimenez, Vetere to blame for lack of signings?

Gallowgate End

I was in discussion with one of my good friends on the subject of Newcastle United's disappointing failure on deals and lack of money spent on player recruitment thus far; my friend believes Mike Ashley will simply not put the big money into recruitment of players like Shepherd did as he believes Mike Ashley is looking for buyers to make a profit by selling the club at a much bigger price he brought it at; this came to surface after the event of a month ago when it was suggested in the media that Mike Ashley was was in negotiation with Inter-Media Partners and had set a selling price of £400 million making it a profit of £265 million more then what he had originally brought the club for while I strongly disagree with a lot of this and a lot of the flak that has been directed at Mike Ashley my concern lies with that of his three inexperienced directors Wise, Jimenez, Vetere who were appointed with player recruitment based roles.

The high financial bids for Modric and Woodgate that Chris Mort did confirm publicly suggests that Mike Ashley is willing to spend; the Modric saga in particular suggests a big financial deal was willing to be put in place but our recruitment men of Jimenez, Wise, Vetere lost the deal in agent negotiations lets not forget these three men have no background of successful recruitment of players, my fear is at the end of this transfer window could be the biggest example of that.

I was wondering with the growing disappointment on the lack of player recruitment so far what is the general consensus on the reasoning on this subject?

Going right back to the original post, I think it is hard to argue that there is enough experience to get deals done speedily.  Only Vetere imho has the knowledge to do his job satisfactorily.  Players are being identified but transfers are not getting completed.  There just doesn't seem to be the negotiating skills in place otherwise I feel certain Newcastle would have signed more players than they have currently.

I might be totally wrong but I honestly can't envisage things changing soon.

Horse-jism.

With respect to exchaning large amount of money to acquire the services of people or any type of resource, i think a retail organisation like Ashley's has amongst the best expertise in the business world since the purchasing department drives overall profitability.

He knows how to bargain and knows how to employ people who know how to bargain. When it comes to a chairman upping a bid by 2m at the 11th hour, it will be Ashley personally who makes the call. The problems in recruitment have f*** all to do with the right skillset internally but more to do with broader factors that are well documented at this club.

I'm not disputing that Ashley would undoubtedly have recruitment expertise in his particular field but I do question what qualities being a property developer would do to aid Jiminez in negotiating with a football agent/club about signing a player, especially as that player may well be wanted by another half a dozen clubs across Europe. 

Vetere seems more than capable of identifying the right players, Ashley has shown willing to pay £15m+ on the right player, it's the bit in the middle of a transaction that doesn't seem to be working.

I dont see that as the problem. There are only 2 critical factors, does the player want to come (wages, ambition etc) and do the club want to accept the financial offer. Once the first bit is done then the same priniciples of financial negotiation apply in this situation as in any other. If the offers arent good enough for the selling club it has nothing to do with Jimenez and everythig to do with the man who has executive decision making power over finances.

I can see what you are saying but i reckon you're wrong and the reason i'm a bit tetchy about it is that there seem to be a plethora of Spurs fans at the moment trying to point to the better business acumen of their men in charge as the reason the club is doing well. Its like 'those Geordies eh, they've got the finance and the fans, if only they knew how to run a club?'. I'd be interested to hear what you think Levy and his team do other than hoy the offer in on a fax and see what the response is. Perhaps they are like my advertising agency and they send little presents all wrapped nicely and stuff just to say 'Thinking of you!!' during the deal. I doubt it like. Lets face it, its either 'we want more' or 'that'll do nicely'.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

I blame Keegan. Who would sign for a manager who publicly declared that he has no chance of breaking the top 4? No ambition whatsoever.

You're clearly on the wind-up but I'd also say that the comments Keegan made after Chelsea (H) haven't helped us at all. :hmm:

So you don't agree with me, yet you do agree with me?

Either his comments helped or they haven't made a difference on our summer recruitment. Which one is it?

I can see what you are saying but i reckon you're wrong and the reason i'm a bit tetchy about it is that there seem to be a plethora of Spurs fans at the moment trying to point to the better business acumen of their men in charge as the reason the club is doing well. Its like 'those Geordies eh, they've got the finance and the fans, if only they knew how to run a club?'.

Truth hurts sometimes.

You have to be impressed by Tottenham's set up and the recruitment of players this transfer window.

Guest neesy111

I can see what you are saying but i reckon you're wrong and the reason i'm a bit tetchy about it is that there seem to be a plethora of Spurs fans at the moment trying to point to the better business acumen of their men in charge as the reason the club is doing well. Its like 'those Geordies eh, they've got the finance and the fans, if only they knew how to run a club?'.

Truth hurts sometimes.

You have to be impressed by Tottenham's set up and the recruitment of players this transfer window.

tottenham are said to be 60-80 million in debt after this pre-season, they are doing what leeds and we did and spend money which they haven't got.  The club is run very well especially on wages.

I blame Keegan. Who would sign for a manager who publicly declared that he has no chance of breaking the top 4? No ambition whatsoever.

You're clearly on the wind-up but I'd also say that the comments Keegan made after Chelsea (H) haven't helped us at all. :hmm:

So you don't agree with me, yet you do agree with me?

Either his comments helped or they haven't made a difference on our summer recruitment. Which one is it?

Keegan's comments haven't helped but I don't blame him 100% for us not landing players. There's lots of factors to take into account. To say 'it's Keegans's fault' is idiocy imo.

Chomp btw. ;)

Truth hurts sometimes.

No i'm not impressed by their 'set-up' at all, they've got money though and that means they can spend it.

Truth hurts sometimes.

tottenham are said to be 60-80 million in debt after this pre-season, they are doing what leeds and we did and spend money which they haven't got.  The club is run very well especially on wages.

Yes, us &  Leeds.

Plus Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal.

Also Everton, Villa, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Man City & West Ham.

Oh, and don't forget Middlesbrough, Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton & Fulham.

I bet Spurs are nowhere near £60-80m in debt btw.

Valid point, especially if Ashley makes a habit of it. Hasn't Collocini's agent brought up the possibility of invoking the Webster ruling if Leindro continues to play hard-ball?

IMO it's the reason as to why Jimenez was recruited. He is no Super Agent... blah blah

Coloccini's agent does not work for Mike Ashley.

sterling work captain fucking obvious

any more insights?

he deals more with hindsights

Guest Sniffer

Primary reason that Spurs are doing well is that  they are a london club. Good stepping stone to a bigger club without having to live in the sticks.

I was in discussion with one of my good friends on the subject of Newcastle United's disappointing failure on deals and lack of money spent on player recruitment thus far; my friend believes Mike Ashley will simply not put the big money into recruitment of players like Shepherd did as he believes Mike Ashley is looking for buyers to make a profit by selling the club at a much bigger price he brought it at; this came to surface after the event of a month ago when it was suggested in the media that Mike Ashley was was in negotiation with Inter-Media Partners and had set a selling price of £400 million making it a profit of £265 million more then what he had originally brought the club for while I strongly disagree with a lot of this and a lot of the flak that has been directed at Mike Ashley my concern lies with that of his three inexperienced directors Wise, Jimenez, Vetere who were appointed with player recruitment based roles.

The high financial bids for Modric and Woodgate that Chris Mort did confirm publicly suggests that Mike Ashley is willing to spend; the Modric saga in particular suggests a big financial deal was willing to be put in place but our recruitment men of Jimenez, Wise, Vetere lost the deal in agent negotiations lets not forget these three men have no background of successful recruitment of players, my fear is at the end of this transfer window could be the biggest example of that.

I was wondering with the growing disappointment on the lack of player recruitment so far what is the general consensus on the reasoning on this subject?

Going right back to the original post, I think it is hard to argue that there is enough experience to get deals done speedily.  Only Vetere imho has the knowledge to do his job satisfactorily.  Players are being identified but transfers are not getting completed.  There just doesn't seem to be the negotiating skills in place otherwise I feel certain Newcastle would have signed more players than they have currently.

Horse-jism.

With respect to exchaning large amount of money to acquire the services of people or any type of resource, i think a retail organisation like Ashley's has amongst the best expertise in the business world since the purchasing department drives overall profitability.

He knows how to bargain and knows how to employ people who know how to bargain. When it comes to a chairman upping a bid by 2m at the 11th hour, it will be Ashley personally who makes the call. The problems in recruitment have f*** all to do with the right skillset internally but more to do with broader factors that are well documented at this club.

I'm not disputing that Ashley would undoubtedly have recruitment expertise in his particular field but I do question what qualities being a property developer would do to aid Jiminez in negotiating with a football agent/club about signing a player, especially as that player may well be wanted by another half a dozen clubs across Europe. 

Vetere seems more than capable of identifying the right players, Ashley has shown willing to pay £15m+ on the right player, it's the bit in the middle of a transaction that doesn't seem to be working.

I dont see that as the problem. There are only 2 critical factors, does the player want to come (wages, ambition etc) and do the club want to accept the financial offer. Once the first bit is done then the same priniciples of financial negotiation apply in this situation as in any other. If the offers arent good enough for the selling club it has nothing to do with Jimenez and everythig to do with the man who has executive decision making power over finances.

I can see what you are saying but i reckon you're wrong and the reason i'm a bit tetchy about it is that there seem to be a plethora of Spurs fans at the moment trying to point to the better business acumen of their men in charge as the reason the club is doing well. Its like 'those Geordies eh, they've got the finance and the fans, if only they knew how to run a club?'. I'd be interested to hear what you think Levy and his team do other than hoy the offer in on a fax and see what the response is. Perhaps they are like my advertising agency and they send little presents all wrapped nicely and stuff just to say 'Thinking of you!!' during the deal. I doubt it like. Lets face it, its either 'we want more' or 'that'll do nicely'.

It's not a case of not knowing how to run a club, more lacking in experience.  But that doesn't mean Wise and Vetere can't do a good job, their background suggests that they should do very well.  With Jiminez, I'm not convinced that doing property deals with Paul Kemsley necessarily gives him the experience to convince a player that his future lies at SJP

As for Spurs, it was less than 3 weeks ago that Arshavin said he dreamt of playing for Barca in La Liga or Arsenal.  Comolli went to Russia for 2 days soon after that, spent another day there last week and now Arshavin's agent says that personal terms are agreed and Spurs and Ramos are perfect for him.  I might be doing Jiminez a disservice but the results so far don't suggest there is that amount of drive to get a deal done.  BTW, I understand that Comolli is now in Portugal working on the next target.

Horse-jism.

It's not a case of not knowing how to run a club, more lacking in experience.  But that doesn't mean Wise and Vetere can't do a good job, their background suggests that they should do very well.  With Jiminez, I'm not convinced that doing property deals with Paul Kemsley necessarily gives him the experience to convince a player that his future lies at SJP

As for Spurs, it was less than 3 weeks ago that Arshavin said he dreamt of playing for Barca in La Liga or Arsenal.  Comolli went to Russia for 2 days soon after that, spent another day there last week and now Arshavin's agent says that personal terms are agreed and Spurs and Ramos are perfect for him.  I might be doing Jiminez a disservice but the results so far don't suggest there is that amount of drive to get a deal done.  BTW, I understand that Comolli is now in Portugal working on the next target.

I anticipated that response, which is why i delineated between attracting the player and sealing the financial side of the deal. Colocinni was attracted, whoever and whatever was said to him (and spidey) seemed to work. It seems the failure on behalf of our club is in finishing the financial aspects of the deal. So i reckon the point still stands. Money talks.

Keegan closes on signings

Newcastle chief hopes for two more

Kevin Keegan is confident there will be more signings at Newcastle following the arrival of Sebastien Bassong.

The French defender agreed a move to St James' Park on Wednesday and Keegan is confident of at least two further additions.

Aware that Newcastle are short on personnel in a number of key areas, Keegan has been scouring the market for reinforcements.

And he is of the opinion the club's board could deliver a couple of his targets before too long.

"We will have two signings coming in - that's my feeling," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"But nothing is 100 per cent because we are all looking at the same players, and that includes the top clubs."

We need more than two more players tbh, especially if they are squad filliers like Bassong and Guthrie.

As for Spurs, it was less than 3 weeks ago that Arshavin said he dreamt of playing for Barca in La Liga or Arsenal.  Comolli went to Russia for 2 days soon after that, spent another day there last week and now Arshavin's agent says that personal terms are agreed and Spurs and Ramos are perfect for him. I might be doing Jiminez a disservice but the results so far don't suggest there is that amount of drive to get a deal done. 

Agree.

It will be the end of the transfer windows when people finally realise these recruitment men are as useless as their experience in the position suggests.

As for Spurs, it was less than 3 weeks ago that Arshavin said he dreamt of playing for Barca in La Liga or Arsenal.  Comolli went to Russia for 2 days soon after that, spent another day there last week and now Arshavin's agent says that personal terms are agreed and Spurs and Ramos are perfect for him. I might be doing Jiminez a disservice but the results so far don't suggest there is that amount of drive to get a deal done. 

Agree.

It will be the end of the transfer windows when people finally realise these recruitment men are as useless as their experience in the position suggests.

You're so sure its not the finances?

Could be either but I think its the finances - I was very suspiscious in January when we signed diddly and as each day goes on, I'm convinced we don't have a lot of money to spend - yes we bid for Modric, but who is to say that wasn't the majority of the transfer budget for the summer?

That being said, I'm still not convinced about Wise et al  - seemed a strange appointment at the time and so far nothing has changed my mind on that and each comment from Keegan makes me more dubious about the present regime - be it due to lack of cash or incompetence by the management board - as most have said, there is time to go but the lack of positivity coming from Keegan is worrying.

Agree.

Of course it's the fucking finances. Spurs are flush and easier for them to go the extra mile. Identifying and dealing with targets is farily comparible, although I will say Comolli is very good...Apart from the Bent fiasco of course.

Agree.

Of course it's the fucking finances. Spurs are flush and easier for them to go the extra mile. Identifying and dealing with targets is farily comparible, although I will say Comolli is very good...Apart from the Bent fiasco of course.

Comolli is good at his job no doubt but if we swapped him for Jimenez are we saying that the situation would be the opposite? No.

Agree.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all useless.  In fact I wouldn't describe any of them as such, there's a big difference between between being inexperienced in a role and being useless.  People with connections at Charlton say there was real disappointment went to Real, and Real wouldn't have settled for an average performer tbh.  Wise, as Sporting Director or whatever his official title is, knows more than enough to agree with KK what positions need dealing with and what sort of player is required.  IMHO it's the next stage, convincing the player to move to Newcastle and getting the contract signed, is where it's going wrong.  Coloccini reputedly agreed terms, then wanted more time and in the meantime, there's a question mark whether the transfer fee is to be renegotiated.  My gut feeling is that it just needs to be a bit sharper to get the deal finalised.

FWIW, I don't believe finances have anything to do with it.  There have been numerous examples of Levy refusing to increase a bid to get a player or standing steadfastly behind the salary scale and losing players as a result.  If Levy can't get a transfer completed as a package that he thinks is ok, the deal won't get done, it's as simple as that.  And that, omongst other things is why Spurs always have a list of 4 or 5 potential players for a position, sometimes you can't get your first 2 or 3 preferred options.

Agree.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all useless.  In fact I wouldn't describe any of them as such, there's a big difference between between being inexperienced in a role and being useless.   People with connections at Charlton say there was real disappointment went to Real, and Real wouldn't have settled for an average performer tbh.  Wise, as Sporting Director or whatever his official title is, knows more than enough to agree with KK what positions need dealing with and what sort of player is required.  IMHO it's the next stage, convincing the player to move to Newcastle and getting the contract signed, is where it's going wrong.  Coloccini reputedly agreed terms, then wanted more time and in the meantime, there's a question mark whether the transfer fee is to be renegotiated.  My gut feeling is that it just needs to be a bit sharper to get the deal finalised.

FWIW, I don't believe finances have anything to do with it.  There have been numerous examples of Levy refusing to increase a bid to get a player or standing steadfastly behind the salary scale and losing players as a result.  If Levy can't get a transfer completed as a package that he thinks is ok, the deal won't get done, it's as simple as that.  And that, omongst other things is why Spurs always have a list of 4 or 5 potential players for a position, sometimes you can't get your first 2 or 3 preferred options.

Did he? 

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all useless.  In fact I wouldn't describe any of them as such, there's a big difference between between being inexperienced in a role and being useless.

Tony Jimenez negotiates the deal with a club & player that is all he does. It is not that hard is it, as most players have an agent telling you what there client wants, he will then have a starting point to negotiate from. A selling club will either say no or tell you what they want from that I guess he starts negotiating. He has been around the block business wise (no pun), people need to stop putting football business on a pedestal. Roman never knew much about football until he took over Chelsea but apparently paying a footballer a shit load of cash seems to make them join your club.

Could be either but I think its the finances - I was very suspiscious in January when we signed diddly and as each day goes on, I'm convinced we don't have a lot of money to spend - yes we bid for Modric, but who is to say that wasn't the majority of the transfer budget for the summer?

That being said, I'm still not convinced about Wise et al  - seemed a strange appointment at the time and so far nothing has changed my mind on that and each comment from Keegan makes me more dubious about the present regime - be it due to lack of cash or incompetence by the management board - as most have said, there is time to go but the lack of positivity coming from Keegan is worrying.

No chance!!

we have the money. we're just trying to spend it right. too right in fact, which is a little annoying if not worrisome

Agree.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all useless.  In fact I wouldn't describe any of them as such, there's a big difference between between being inexperienced in a role and being useless.   People with connections at Charlton say there was real disappointment went to Real, and Real wouldn't have settled for an average performer tbh.  Wise, as Sporting Director or whatever his official title is, knows more than enough to agree with KK what positions need dealing with and what sort of player is required.  IMHO it's the next stage, convincing the player to move to Newcastle and getting the contract signed, is where it's going wrong.  Coloccini reputedly agreed terms, then wanted more time and in the meantime, there's a question mark whether the transfer fee is to be renegotiated.  My gut feeling is that it just needs to be a bit sharper to get the deal finalised.

Would you say they've got most of their first and second choices so far?