Ashley's recruitment men Wise, Jimenez, Vetere to blame for lack of signings?

Gallowgate End

The old KK would of quit at least twice by now but he needs a few quid after the outlay & failure of Soccer Circus. Well he needs the cash to live the life he has become accustomed to.

This seems to have become fact based on nowt as far as I can see.

Kevin Keegan's return to football may be connected to the business accounts of the Newcastle United manager's Soccer Circus. The figures, published this month, reveal that Keegan has loaned at least £2.37m to the company. That may be considered an enormous gamble by the former England coach because in the 12 months to April 2007 the start-up made an operating loss of more than £1m.

Soccer Circus runs what it describes as "the world's first interactive football attraction" out of the Xscape sports and leisure centre in the Braehead area of Glasgow. But to get to its long-awaited opening 16 months ago the company required a massive financial commitment from Keegan.

According to the company's website the project, which was about 10 years in the making, has received more than £6m of investment. As far back as April 2004 Soccer Circus stated it had net liabilities of almost £1m but declared itself a "going concern on the grounds that [Keegan] will continue to support the company".

At that time he had invested almost £1.7m in interest-free loans; by April 2005 this had risen to £1.9m; in April 2006 his declared investment in Soccer Circus had reached £2.37m.

Help has since been at hand. With a deal agreed to set up the attraction in Braehead for a September 2006 opening, Peter Barr, who is described on the company's website as an entrepreneur, invested £600,000 in return for shares in Soccer Circus. At about the same time a new company was incorporated, with most of the Soccer Circus assets and liabilities, apart from the Keegan loans, becoming Soccer Circus (Braehead) LLP.

There has also been assistance from the Scottish Executive, which is committed to paying a £500,000 grant to the entertainment facility in return for its impact in assisting to regenerate the Braehead area. Only £313,000 of that government grant is accounted for on the new company's balance sheet to April last year but that was crucial in boosting revenues in the first six months of its operation from late September 2006.

Despite the involvement of the effervescent Keegan, the question of whether the attraction has been a success is at best unclear. On top of Keegan's loans there are bank borrowings of £344,000. Yet the Braehead company's turnover in the trading period of the attraction from September 29 2006 to April 2007 was only £279,000, leading to an operating loss of more than £1m.

Shareholders, including Barr and the engineer Clive Mockford, are clearly confident that the picture will improve, given that between them they have injected almost £3.3m.

Until the next set of accounts are produced Keegan's exact liability will be unknown but it may even have increased, because a fresh mortgage was taken out on the Braehead company on April 26 2006; meanwhile the £2.37m loaned remained on the other firm's balance sheet dated four days later.

Shareholder loans in the Braehead company totalled more than £2m in April last year, apparently in addition to what is owed by the other company. But despite his massive personal and financial input into the Soccer Circus project, Keegan will have to share out whatever rewards accrue.

As well as the equity in the other company that he gave up in return for a £600,000 investment, Keegan and his wife Jean control less than 60% of the shares in Soccer Circus (Braehead) LLP. At least he now has significant other income to fall back on: Keegan's 3½-year contract at St James' Park, which ended an absence from football of almost three years, is worth a reported £10m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/feb/01/sport.comment

The time to judge anyone is a month from now.

Wont we be saying then "They need time settle as they didn't have a full/any pre-season with the team"

It's irrelevant.

The fact is that too many people who post on message boards and phone radio phone in shows think that all you have to do is put a big bid in, get it accepted and hey presto (Football Manager style).

Any idiot can see that the majority of clubs in the premier league are having a tough summer in the market. I'm sure Keegan, Wise, and co would also like to have the new players in sooner rather than later, but the reality is, it doesn't always work like that.

Not sure how it is irrelevant as it will be some peoples next line about players not having a pre-season with the club. Of course double excuse time if we sign a player from abroad on deadline day as he will need at least 12 months to settle (best to use Henry as an example, rather than say Torres)

I am just glad I am one of them people that thinks football is like Football Manager, rather than one of those idiots that sees that majority of clubs int the premier league are having a tough summer. :thup:

I'm sure we could make big money signings if we really needed to. In the past we made plenty of spectacular signings like Shearer,  Ferguson, Luque, Owen, Robert and Boumsong. What we need to ask is has this spending been reflected in either results or revenue?

I'd wager only Modric and Jo are the completed deals so far that most on this forum would be happy with. Apart from those who've gone to the top four clubs, of course.

The time to judge anyone is a month from now.

Wont we be saying then "They need time settle as they didn't have a full/any pre-season with the team"

It's irrelevant.

The fact is that too many people who post on message boards and phone radio phone in shows think that all you have to do is put a big bid in, get it accepted and hey presto (Football Manager style).

Any idiot can see that the majority of clubs in the premier league are having a tough summer in the market. I'm sure Keegan, Wise, and co would also like to have the new players in sooner rather than later, but the reality is, it doesn't always work like that.

Not sure how it is irrelevant as it will be some peoples next line about players not having a pre-season with the club. Of course double excuse time if we sign a player from abroad on deadline day as he will need at least 12 months to settle (best to use Henry as an example, rather than say Torres)

I am just glad I am one of them people that thinks football is like Football Manager, rather than one of those idiots that sees that majority of clubs int the premier league are having a tough summer. :thup:

Can you not see the facts though?

Man Ciy, Bolton, Spurs, Stoke, Portsmouth have all broken there transfer records so far, Man Utd will do that when they sign Tevez this summer. WBA have equaled there record by signing of Carson. Chuck in Chelsea who have spent about £25 million, Arsenal who have signed the talented Nasri & some club will more than likely break there transfer record when they sign Andy Johnson & I agree the facts say it is a slow market.

I'd wager only Modric and Jo are the completed deals so far that most on this forum would be happy with. Apart from those who've gone to the top four clubs, of course.

Would you not want Crouch!!!

Not really, no.

It's irrelevent the amount of money you spend.

I'd much prefer us to be buying Guthries and Guttierez's rather than splashing out on Jo's and Dos Santos's who may or may not succeed.

Oh my, you said it is a slow market but lots of clubs are breaking there transfer record like never before.

Why dont you put Guttierez in the same bracket as Jo & Dos Santos?

I'd much prefer us to be buying Guthries and Guttierez's rather than splashing out on Jo's and Dos Santos's who may or may not succeed.

Oh my.

Why dont you put Gutierrez's in the same bracket as Jo & Dos Santos?

Much less risk.

He is South American like the two players you have mentioned, I fail to see how you say they will "who may or may not succeed." & them something about less risk for Jonas. Surely he also has to fall into the wonderful all angles covered category of  "who may or may not succeed."

What has it being a slow market got to do with breaking transfer fees. Surely that shows that prices are incredibly inflated at the minute.

Does clubs breaking the own transfer records not show that maybe it is not as slow as some would have you believe.

What exactly does Stoke spending £5.5m on Dave Kitson have to do with, well, anything?

He is one of many players who has moved to a new club for record fee in this busy transfer period.

And you were gutted to miss out on him I guess. :lol:

Stoke's new record signing: Dave Kitson (£5.5m)

Portsmouth's new record signing: Peter Crouch (£11m)

Bolton's new record signing: Johan Elmander (£11m)

Oooh, I'm so jealous. :laugh:

Oh my.

Why dont you put Gutierrez's in the same bracket as Jo & Dos Santos?

Much less risk.

He is South American like the two players you have mentioned, I fail to see how you say they will "who may or may not succeed." & them something about less risk for Jonas. Surely he also has to fall into the wonderful all angles covered category of  "who may or may not succeed."

I think it is to do with the money paid for the two players mentioned.

What exactly does Stoke spending £5.5m on Dave Kitson have to do with, well, anything?

He is one of many players who has moved to a new club for record fee in this busy transfer period.

And you were gutted to miss out on him I guess. :lol:

Not really but I don't think the market is as slow as people are making out.

He scored 9 goals last year in the Prem which by our goalscorers record  last year is not that bad & he played in a team that went down.

Again Dave other clubs are out there doing business, while your watching number 46, Shola & Smithy.

Again Dave other clubs are out there doing business, while your watching number 46, Shola & Smithy.

Have we not done business like?

I'm confident we'll get a few more players in before the end of the transfer window, so why does it matter?

Because we both fancied locking horns for a fews hours. Goodnight Hindu  :thup:

Point out where I said we don't need to do any business please. In fact I've been saying the exact opposite after paying to see that sack of shite today, so I won't hold my breath on that one. :rolleyes:

Other clubs are doing business that nobody on here gives two flying fucks about, barring the two I've mentioned. We've brought in two players of our own in the meantime. This forum (if not the entire internet) would fucking implode if we signed Dave Kitson and you know it. :lol:

How long have Liverpool been chasing Gareth Barry? As I say, there's only two deals I can think of outside the top four clubs that are even worth worrying about. Jo and Modric. So that's two. Not that many is it?

Anyway fuck it. You've had far too many chomps out of me.

Point out where I said we don't need to do any business please. In fact I've been saying the exact opposite after paying to see that sack of shite today, so I won't hold my breath on that one. :rolleyes:

Other clubs are doing business that nobody on here gives two flying fucks about, barring the two I've mentioned. We've brought in two players of our own in the meantime. This forum (if not the entire internet) would fucking implode if we signed Dave Kitson and you know it. :lol:

How long have Liverpool been chasing Gareth Barry? As I say, there's only two deals I can think of outside the top four clubs that are even worth worrying about. Jo and Modric. So that's two. Not that many is it?

Anyway fuck it. You've had far too many chomps out of me.

Is there something you're not telling us?

What if we sign four players tomorrow like? Yeah, we probably won't, but my point is - we don't have a fucking clue what's going on. It's funny how the press and suchlike can fuel such dramatic assumptions and paranoia "we're failing in the transfer market". Keegan's comments haven't encouraged me a huge amount today, but i have faith in him and the recruitment team to aquire the new personnel to provide us with further grounds to push on and get into Europe in the future.

Like i say, the fact of the matter is, it's all based on whatifs - we don't know what's happening so we've got no real grounds to pass comment on the policies. This all seems pretty obvious to me anyhow, i dunno. :dontknow:

I'll echo Kimbo's comments and say that we pose the question when the window's closed. Then we can point fingers and see what the hell's gone wrong (assuming of course that we don't have a successful window, which probably won't happen in my eyes).

haven't read past this yet but i have to clarify that you're saying the time to ask questions and point fingers is when nothing whatsoever can be done about it?  is that what you're saying?  that if we start the season with another severly depleted squad in terms of personnel & talent - THAT is the time to ask questions?

you can see that makes no sense right

i'm not saying that people like me offering opinions on this website could influence events or anything but people like you weren't willing to ask questions prior to the euros, now it's prior to the close of the window...how much grace does this guy get for buying "evil freddie" out?  do we wait january out too if he still doesn't fancy paying the asking price for good players? [i'm convinced this is what is going on by the way, behind the scenes, and no i have no 'evidence']

happy i'm not on death row and you lot were representing me, you'd wait til the lethal injection kicked in before opening the file to see if i was guilty