Newcastle in Turmoil, says Sir Les

NE5

I wish I did run the club. And yes, if it were up to me, I wouldn't have bought half those squad players we bought last summer.

strange thing is, people are now saying we need more squad players ?

Thats what you get for setting low standards and trying to do things on the cheap.

Would you have bought Smith?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04102007/58/premier-league-luque-shepherd-s-bizarre-tenure.html

"No one could understand why I joined Newcastle but I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I had a meeting with Freddy Shepherd and he asked me what I wanted to earn.

"So I said an absurd, completely ridiculous amount [£85,000 a week] and he immediately said it was ok.

"The next day he spoke with Augusto Lendoiro, the chairman of Deportivo La Coruna.

"He asked what the price was and Lendoiro said 15 million euros. In both cases, Shepherd didn't even negotiate. It was bizarre."

That kind of thing didn't sound too great. Oh well, it's good to remember ex-players aren't worth listening to. Unless...

Keegan (or whoever) said they wanted Modric, the board put the money forward but the player went elsewhere for apparently less money. To me that is backing the manager.

so you've decided they have backed him when they haven't ? [and to clarify, I'm talking about their record to date, and comments in the press, not just the failure to sign Modric]

Fact is, you can't accept comments in the press as being without foundation just because they are criticising Ashley, then refuse to accept articles with quoute from ex players who will know what is going on. Its obvious as night becomes day that Keegan is being restricted in the transfer market, to a level that is simply not acceptable for a club like Newcastle United.

If he doesn't wake up fast, you will see the crowds go, and what do you think that will do to the "business model"

You should be running the club.  You clearly know more about how to do it than Ashley.

The only thing is we're only giving you 12 months to get us back into the Champions League.

Deal?

I wish I did run the club. And yes, if it were up to me, I wouldn't have bought half those squad players we bought last summer.

strange thing is, people are now saying we need more squad players ?

Thats what you get for setting low standards and trying to do things on the cheap.

Straight out of the Shepherd school of being a chairman :lol:

Someone edited those posts.

I wonder if he'd employ Souness and Roeder, I also wonder if he's spend a third of his transfer budget on Duff and also bring in Rossi on loan or sign Sibierski and then bring Bernard in after the transfer window had closed and paid him a wage for not kicking a ball.   :dontknow:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04102007/58/premier-league-luque-shepherd-s-bizarre-tenure.html

"No one could understand why I joined Newcastle but I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I had a meeting with Freddy Shepherd and he asked me what I wanted to earn.

"So I said an absurd, completely ridiculous amount [£85,000 a week] and he immediately said it was ok.

"The next day he spoke with Augusto Lendoiro, the chairman of Deportivo La Coruna.

"He asked what the price was and Lendoiro said 15 million euros. In both cases, Shepherd didn't even negotiate. It was bizarre."

That kind of thing didn't sound too great. Oh well, it's good to remember ex-players aren't worth listening to. Unless...

At least he signed players Dave.

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

And no fucker else :rant:

I'd back my manager as much as possible. Or sack him if I didn't have the confidence to back him as much as possible. Its pretty straightforward.

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

I'd back my manager as much as possible. Or sack him if I didn't have the confidence to back him as much as possible. Its pretty straightforward.

and if your judgement was flowed..ie appointing souness,roeder and allardyce...what would you expect then ?

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

Do you think we should have waited until the summer to buy Woodgate instead of January ? I asked Ozzie Mandiarse this, but I don't think he responded [unsurprisingly] . If you do , please tell us why ? And also confirm, having spent the money we did in the 2 previous seasons to get back into the Champions League, you are advocating the club spend money they didn't have ?

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

Do you think we should have waited until the summer to buy Woodgate instead of January ? I asked Ozzie Mandiarse this, but I don't think he responded [unsurprisingly] . If you do , please tell us why ? And also confirm, having spent the money we did in the 2 previous seasons to get back into the Champions League, you are advocating the club spend money they didn't have ?

You're seriously trying to defend that Summer's lack of spending, aren't you?

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

i refer the right honourable gentleman to post 84 in this thread

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

and if your judgement was flowed..ie appointing souness,roeder and allardyce...what would you expect then ?

the important thing is backing the manager. Roeder got us into 7th place and the UEFA Cup. If you don't back your managers you will never do anything. Any good appointment you make will leave for a club that will back him. Allardyce was considered a good appointment by many people on here and elsewhere, including me.

Nobody makes successful appointments every time. Get real.

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

You're seriously trying to defend that Summer's lack of spending, aren't you?

So you are advocating the club spend money they didn't have having emptied what was possible to spend to qualify for the Champs League ?

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

the important thing is backing the manager. Roeder got us into 7th place and the UEFA Cup. If you don't back your managers you will never do anything. Any good appointment you make will leave for a club that will back him. Allardyce was considered a good appointment by many people on here and elsewhere, including me.

and where was souness taking us ,and allardyce and where was roeder taking us long term.

you know aswell as i do that roeders finishing 7th was like macfauls good season as manager

We did spend money we didn't have, Ashley has recently paid for that.

to get back on track here, does anybody actually accept what Sir Les is saying, or are they clinging to the hope that its a load of rubbish and he doesn't know what he's on about ?

to get back on track here, does anybody actually accept what Sir Les is saying, or are they clinging to the hope that its a load of rubbish and he doesn't know what he's on about ?

i think he sees it as the press does....going on what the press has said

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

and where was souness taking us ,and allardyce and where was roeder taking us long term.

you know aswell as i do that roeders finishing 7th was like macfauls good season as manager

But Roeder wasn't forced to sell his best players ?

I doubt anyone on here really knows the exact situation at the club, that's the thing. We can speculate all we want and ex-players can do that too, but few people will actually know what exactly is going on behind the scenes. This is why I'm reluctant to really say much at the moment one way or another.

i think he sees it as the press does....going on what the press has said

he clearly states he has seen Keegan lately. I don't understand why you don't see that players have the information from inside the game. Don't you realise that within the game, players know what is really going on sometimes ?

Amazing self denial, this like.

Like bringing in Bowyer?

Ad infinitum.

But Roeder wasn't forced to sell his best players ?

i mean it was a fluke...like ipswich finishing 4th.......did you feel comfortable with roeder. he was a steadier and would take us further...agree ?

I think he's given an honest opinion as an outsider.