Welcome back Joey !

Benwell Lad

I see Nike have jumped on the tabloid fuelled Barton bandwagon.

Strange how the persecution of this Newcastle player seems to have a much higher media profile than other clubs players who in the past have been caught up in indiscretions such as drunk driving, rape allegations, videoing sex acts with teenage girls etc. I wonder why ?

Have Roy (break a players leg intentionally) Keane and El Hadj (spit on players, fans or anyone else who gets in my way) Diouf lost their deals ?

Nike are of course only exercising their commercial right, so I may exercise mine by not bothering to buy any of their overpriced, dubious quality sport, leisure and golf gear from now on.

They cancelled the deal once Barton got sentenced to time in jail though. Neither keane or Diouf did time.

Nike did, however continue to do famous advertising campaigns with a certain Monsieur Cantona...after he was charged of assaulting a fan and doing community service, or is it a case of "if the face doesn't match".

I would be more willing to welcome him back if he issued a sincere public apology to the boy he assualted and the club, team mates and supporters he has embarassed with his behavior.

I hope prison has shown him how extremely lucky he is to be in his position in life, and he will make the most of it both on and off the pitch.

Cantona didn't do time though.

And by pure coincidence he was playing for Manchester United at the time. Not that I would be suggesting he had favourable treatment, in any way, purely on account of that small fact. Because that would just be petty-minded, chip on the shoulder, sort of stuff.

:whistle:

Guest Geordie_Paul

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/latest/3559555.Barton_stays_at_home/

DISGRACED Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton did not join his team-mates on a trip abroad yesterday, despite being welcomed back to the club after his prison term.

It was also revealed that the 25-year-old’s contract with sportswear giant Nike was terminated following his conviction in May for assault and affray.

Barton walked free from Manchester prison on Monday after serving 74 days of a six-month sentence for beating up a teenager in Liverpool city centre last December.

The midfielder, signed from Manchester City for £5.8m, was jailed on May 20 after pleading guilty to the offence at Liverpool Crown Court.

But Newcastle said Barton would be given the chance to rebuild his career at St James’ Park, despite speculation that his future at the Premiership club would be in doubt.

Yesterday, however, there was no sign of Barton as manager Kevin Keegan and the squad boarded a plane at Newcastle Airport for Palma, where they will be training and playing in the Mallorca Summer Cup tournament.

Capped once by England, Barton, from Huyton, Merseyside, served 68 days of his six-month jail term plus six days on remand after his initial arrest.

Under the Criminal Justice Act 1991, anyone given a jail sentence of less than 12 months is automatically released after serving half the sentence.

But the player is currently serving a four-month jail sentence, suspended for two years, after a separate conviction for a ‘‘ferocious’’ training ground attack on former Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo, which left his victim unconscious and bleeding.

He was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid community work, pay £3,000 compensation to Dabo and court costs of £3,430.

He was on bail over the Dabo incident when he got involved in the fight outside a McDonald’s restaurant in Liverpool city centre after drinking 10 pints and five bottles of lager.

A spokesman for Nike, which ended a £40,000 annual boot sponsorship deal with Barton, said: ‘‘We have provision in all our sponsorship contracts that take into account any actions by an athlete that bring the brand into disrepute.

‘‘While Joey is a talented footballer, we cannot condone or accept what he did.

‘‘Back in May when he was found guilty, we immediately terminated his contract.

‘‘We certainly have no plans to re-sign him now that he has been released.’’

Hmmm told not to come or having a bit time off after being in prison?

Guest Geordie_Paul

he'll be alright, ashley will set him up with an umbro deal...

what's spain's passport control like for criminal records? is it like the u.s in that they wouldn't let you in? if so that's maybe why barton's not there

Aye possibly, never thought of that!

Owen isn't there either, trying to boost his fitness up after the mumps!

he'll be alright, ashley will set him up with an umbro deal...

what's spain's passport control like for criminal records? is it like the u.s in that they wouldn't let you in? if so that's maybe why barton's not there

Aye possibly, never thought of that!

Owen isn't there either, trying to boost his fitness up after the mumps!

spain doesnt give a rats ass about things like that, dont worry

FA Charge Joey Barton - Club Response

NEWCASTLE United can confirm that it has received documentation from the Football Association stating that it is charging Joey Barton with misconduct in relation to the incident that occurred with Ousmane Dabo in May 2007, at a time when he was a registered player of Manchester City.

The Club has sought clarification from the Football Association as to why this decision has been reached now, given the incident occurred nearly 15 months ago.

Joey will be requesting a personal hearing in relation to the charge and the Club will be making no further comment on the matter at this time.

If the FA were unhappy with the incident, they should have charged him at the time. I'm not Barton's biggest fan by any stretch but this is taking the piss.

How can they justify waiting until now to charge him for an offence? Smacks of jumping on the anti-Barton bandwagon to me. He's pleaded guilty in a court of law and had received a suspended sentence for it. What on earth is a 3 match ban going to prove? 

In which case,  should Roy Keane be charged now with violent conduct for admitting a few years later in a book what he done to Inge-Haaland?

They did charge him. Well, of bringing the game into disrepute.

In which case,  should Roy Keane be charged now with violent conduct for admitting a few years later in a book what he done to Inge-Haaland?

Carry on!

Guest shagthefluff

the fa are a fucking joke. always supporting the southern teams and fucking over the northern ones-unreal. fair enough to charge him but 15 months later? :angry:

Carry on!

Huh?

I'm just saying they did come back to Keane after he admitted it like two years later: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/2236929.stm