Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

Guest elbee909

I liked "You can grumble on as much as you like about the club not getting its number 1 choices, whatever that means, but in the real world, very few clubs do."

Ok then try saying this, "the current board is doing well, this signing shows that they are on the right track and so far are showing the right level of ambition"

Haha, as if.

I honestly think we'd have to win the Premier League before NE5 would credit them a thing . If we won a cup, he'd say we should have won the FA Cup at the old Wembley, if we got into the CL, he'll say the old lot did it more.

He will not admit they've done ANYTHING right, simple as that.

when they match the old regime Dave ......... can YOU admit the old board did so well its a tall order ....

In fact, as the old board came 2nd twice, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th ..........

Indeed they did, then Shepherd spunked it all away.

aye, 4th, 3rd, 5th and 7th. Bad days. Assisted by the major shareholders too no doubt.

I agree with NE5. The phrase 'trophy signing' is stupid with negative connotations. We should be spending good money to bring in players who have the best chance of making us better than other clubs around us. Simple as that really.

The Old Board went all out to get players their managers wanted (on the whole, bar Souness' claims and rumours Shepherd told SBR he couldn't have Seiteridis or Miguel but Carr instead as he's cheaper).

The evidence on the New Board is so far inconclusive.

I think it comes down to a fine line decision to make: do you spend slightly recklessly to get a player in, knowing your manager wants him and says he can bring success or do you miss out on a player and keep a weak squad/team as you don't want to be held to ransom, ensuring you won't achieve much and may get invovled with relegation scraps?

The old board would most of the time plump for the former when push came to shove, the new board shows signs of the latter. Which is a shame as the New Board has a billionaire at its helm.

sensible post like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The old board would most of the time plump for the former when push came to shove, the new board shows signs of the latter. Which is a shame as the New Board has a billionaire at its helm.

Do these signs include signing our most expensive defender ever?

(assuming it'll go through)

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

with the 3rd biggest crowd and support in the country, and 14th /15th turnover [something like that] in europe ?

We won't mention who created that  ;D but I'm sorry but punching that weight is what you should be expecting.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg712421#msg712421

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg714507#msg714507

Yeah but most of what I posted there about the transfers we are targetting are a cut and paste job on your opinions from 18 months ago. 

Why the change of heart? mackems.gif

Look for posts where I've said that when they have proved real ambition I won't criticise the odd mishap ...... I've said it often. When they have proved real ambition, then fair enough. I'm not getting carried away by one [hopefully good] signing, unlike others.

I can't be arsed to look for it though I'll let you do that as you seem so inclined.

This is a direct reply by the way, which is more than most people make. I notice nobody is admitting that they called such signings in the past "trophy signings". Why the change of heart ?

Do these signs include signing our most expensive defender ever?

(assuming it'll go through)

I thought that was Bill McCracken. Oh bollocks, prices have gone up a bit since then  mackems.gif

why do so many people clip posts and ignore bits that possibly don't suit them and the full context ?

'Such signings' are the likes of Woodgate. Who everyone loved, and nobody complained about. So don't talk shit.

PS - I like how you STILL try to change the subject back to the old board, rather than focussing on the new.

'Such signings' are the likes of Woodgate. Who everyone loved, and nobody complained about. So don't talk shit.

I'm not.

The club aren't given credit for signing Woodgate before anyone else BTW, ie in the January when nobody else expected it.

Instead they just dribble on about "spending nothing in the summer" as if the 9m quid appeared from nowhere and didn't come out of the summer transfer money on top of the 40m+ spent in the preceding few years to get into the top positions again .

I'm not.

The club aren't given credit for signing Woodgate before anyone else BTW, ie in the January when nobody else expected it.

Instead they just dribble on about "spending nothing in the summer" as if the 9m quid appeared from nowhere and didn't come out of the summer transfer money on top of the 40m+ spent in the preceding few years to get into the top positions again .

Utter rubbish. They were given credit for signing him AND selling him ffs.

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

with the 3rd biggest crowd and support in the country, and 14th /15th turnover [something like that] in europe ?

We won't mention who created that  ;D but I'm sorry but punching that weight is what you should be expecting.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg712421#msg712421

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg714507#msg714507

Yeah but most of what I posted there about the transfers we are targetting are a cut and paste job on your opinions from 18 months ago. 

Look for posts where I've said that when they have proved real ambition I won't criticise the odd mishap ...... I've said it often. When they have proved real ambition, then fair enough. I'm not getting carried away by one [hopefully good] signing, unlike others.

I can't be arsed to look for it though I'll let you do that as you seem so inclined.

This is a direct reply by the way, which is more than most people make. I notice nobody is admitting that they called such signings in the past "trophy signings". Why the change of heart ?

You've answered / replied to nothing tbf.  Nice try at wriggling out though O0

I spotted that post the a couple of days ago when you said you've never been this unhappy in recent memory.  I asked you if you were less happy now than 18 months ago, & when you avoided the question I decided to look for your opinions at the time for myself.

Just goes to show that when it comes to most of your opinions, it the person making the decision that counts rather than the decision they're making that matters.

Exactly what you accuse others of.

PS - I like how you STILL try to change the subject back to the old board, rather than focussing on the new.

I think you will find it was post number 608 and his childish editing of posts that changed the tone of the thread Dave. Still, he agrees with you, so its all my fault instead.

I spotted that post the a couple of days ago when you said you've never been this unhappy in recent memory.  I asked you if you were less happy now than 18 months ago, & when you avoided the question I decided to look for your opinions at the time for myself.

Just goes to show that when it comes to most of your opinions, it the person making the decision that counts rather than the decision they're making that matters.

Like I said, you're wrong. Ashley will win me over when he proves real ambition, one signing doesn't do that, I'm talking real ambition, which must be higher than yours.

In the meantime, I've renewed my season ticket for the next 3 years so I'm obviously more unhappy than a lot of other people.

At the end of the NE5 doesn't give a shit about the club progressing now and in the future, he just wants the old board's acheivements to be recognised over and over again. That's certainly how his posts come across, anyway.

We're close to signing a good player for decent money and all he's bothered about is how the old board were criticised for stuff. Tells you everything you need to know about him.

I think you will find it was post number 608 and his childish editing of posts that changed the tone of the thread Dave. Still, he agrees with you, so its all my fault instead.

Yes, good thing you were above that kind of thing isn't it.

Like I said, you're wrong. Ashley will win me over when he proves real ambition, one signing doesn't do that, I'm talking real ambition, which must be higher than yours.

In the meantime, I've renewed my season ticket for the next 3 years so I'm obviously more unhappy than a lot of other people.

Still no answer though. O0

And seeing as you keep banging on about it, I've renewed for 3 years upfront as well, just I don't see how its relevant to what I've asked you above.

Perhaps you should read your posts I've linked to then try and answer why what was acceptable then is less acceptable now.

I'll not hold my breath though.

No surprise to see NE5 still complaining. Pathetic.

its called ambition Dave

Signing a player of such calibre as Coloccini shows ambition.

You say time and time again that it's all about going for the best players. Well by all accounts this guy is miles better than what we have. Yet you're still f***ing complaining. What a joke.

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

Actually Dave, and this is a serious observation, whats your view on the comments from a few weeks ago and "keeping these deals quiet"? This one has been all over the press. Nobody rivalled us for him either ........ why not ?

All over the press? We've been chasing him for months according to the agent who broke it all.

Nobody rivalled us for him? mackems.gif You know f*** all, just like me, so don't pretend you do.

The facts are you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of crediting the board for a thing. We're on the verge of spending £9m on a defender who is very highly rated and improving the team, yet you're complaining now that they're not the right position. We could sign an entire new team and you'd complain. That's called an agenda. You've become a complete farce.

complete rubbish.

People like you have complained for years about the old regime and buying "trophy players" and other such s****. People like me have ALWAYS said we should be buying players like this.

I take it he isn't a "trophy player" ? I bet he would be if the old regime had shelled out 10m+ for a 26 year old defender.

My point is consistent all the way down the line, I support signings like this, whoever makes them. My point is that for a club like Newcastle, we need to do more than the vast majority of clubs, and we haven't yet done that. Other people have made the same point, so don't make out I'm alone in this view.

At the end of the day, its others who base their "opinions" on personalities, and its clear to see who they are.

Ok then try saying this, "the current board is doing well, this signing shows that they are on the right track and so far are showing the right level of ambition"

I've said my piece. I'll let those of you who agree with each other be accused of turning this thread into an old board jizzfest

Just as I thought, you cant say it can you? I know it must be difficult and painful for you to give credit to the new board, but you should try if you want people to believe that your opinions are not based on personalities as you claim.

And seeing as you keep banging on about it, I've renewed for 3 years upfront as well, just I don't see how its relevant to what I've asked you above.

Perhaps you should read your posts I've linked to then try and answer why what was acceptable then is less acceptable now.

because they had proved their ambition. Simple as that. If you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. And attempting to succeed and not quite getting to what you hoped for is a lot more acceptable than not attempting it at all.

Well, we can't rely on you to rap his fingers or take note of it can we ? Maybe if he disagreed with you, it would be different. Which you've just proved.

Well, we can't rely on you to rap his fingers or take note of it can we ? Maybe if he disagreed with you, it would be different. Which you've just proved.

:lol:

You're bonkers.

No surprise to see NE5 still complaining. Pathetic.

its called ambition Dave

Signing a player of such calibre as Coloccini shows ambition.

You say time and time again that it's all about going for the best players. Well by all accounts this guy is miles better than what we have. Yet you're still f***ing complaining. What a joke.

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

Actually Dave, and this is a serious observation, whats your view on the comments from a few weeks ago and "keeping these deals quiet"? This one has been all over the press. Nobody rivalled us for him either ........ why not ?

All over the press? We've been chasing him for months according to the agent who broke it all.

Nobody rivalled us for him? mackems.gif You know f*** all, just like me, so don't pretend you do.

The facts are you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of crediting the board for a thing. We're on the verge of spending £9m on a defender who is very highly rated and improving the team, yet you're complaining now that they're not the right position. We could sign an entire new team and you'd complain. That's called an agenda. You've become a complete farce.

complete rubbish.

People like you have complained for years about the old regime and buying "trophy players" and other such s****. People like me have ALWAYS said we should be buying players like this.

I take it he isn't a "trophy player" ? I bet he would be if the old regime had shelled out 10m+ for a 26 year old defender.

My point is consistent all the way down the line, I support signings like this, whoever makes them. My point is that for a club like Newcastle, we need to do more than the vast majority of clubs, and we haven't yet done that. Other people have made the same point, so don't make out I'm alone in this view.

At the end of the day, its others who base their "opinions" on personalities, and its clear to see who they are.

I've said my piece. I'll let those of you who agree with each other be accused of turning this thread into an old board jizzfest

Just as I thought, you cant say it can you? I know it must be difficult and painful for you to give credit to the new board, but you should try if you want people to believe that your opinions are not based on personalities as you claim.

I've said I'm pleased with the signing [or the intent of the signing, which is that he will be a good player for the club]. What more do you want ?

You're bonkers.

You're biased  :lol: ..........

You're bonkers.

You're biased  :lol: ..........

Mate, I've said this to Mick before, and I'll say it to you, it takes two to tango.

because they had proved their ambition. Simple as that. If you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. And attempting to succeed and not quite getting to what you hoped for is a lot more acceptable than not attempting it at all.

The situation you talk about 18 months ago still stands, so why shouldn't the reasons you mentioned then still stand?

They were no longer showing any ambition 18 months ago, surely any fool can see that? 

Its all very well harping on about the Champions League placings they did achieve (and fair play to them for that) but when they left we were miles away from that happening again.  Even you can acknowledge that?