Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

We should be playing Smith in midfield in the pre-season friendlies. Not because he's any better there than up front but because the more we play him up front the more he shows other clubs scouts how shit he is there. If we played him in midfield other clubs looking to buy a striker may think "Smith isn't doing well at Newcastle because they play him out of position. I'm sure he'd be good in his proper position up front as a striker. Let's buy him!".

We should be playing Smith in midfield in the pre-season frendlies. Not because he's any better there than up front but because the more we play him upfront the more he shows other clubs scouts how s*** he is there. If we played him in midfield other clubs looking to buy a striker may think "Smith isn't doing well at Newcastle because they play him out of position. I'm sure he'd be good in his proper position up front as a striker".

he's only playing up front due to injuries. you'll find when others are fit he'll not be selected.

We should be playing Smith in midfield in the pre-season frendlies. Not because he's any better there than up front but because the more we play him upfront the more he shows other clubs scouts how s*** he is there. If we played him in midfield other clubs looking to buy a striker may think "Smith isn't doing well at Newcastle because they play him out of position. I'm sure he'd be good in his proper position up front as a striker".

he's only playing up front due to injuries. you'll find when others are fit he'll not be selected.

Yeah but I was hoping to get him sold.

I wonder what Keegan really thinks of Smith. He must know how bad he is.

I feel we should've arranged a couple more friendlies.. fitness is a fair concern, but it feels like our attacks still don't have any clear pattern.. like nobody knows what to do with the ball once they get it..

The stadium was so quiet yesterday, It was nice to hear what the players and coaches were shouting.. like when Zog gets the ball, everybody starts screaming at him "get out, get out!!", or Geremi's constant barking and Duff's stupid screech.. Krul seemed pretty vocal too

the highlights of the game were Butt going mad, Pantelic (who was very impressive) getting kicked all over the pitch, Taylor doing his 'I've been shot' rendition, Shola and Smith's complete inadequacy and Duff looking lively on the right side..

Geremi, Cacapa and N'Zogbia were shaky defensively, Butt didn't play good, Milner's end product erases everything good he does with the ball at his feet, Guthrie played a few nice passes but was otherwise pretty quiet..

Jonas doesn't seem like the typical wing player but he looked very lively and he'll be an asset..

Enrique made a late appearance but demonstrated brilliant technique almost every time he touched the ball..

all in all a nice game, the second half was awful, but thankfully I was off my head by then so I enjoyed watching us again after all this time..

howay the lads

The back four was terrible, but hopefully they won’t be our first choice defence in a fortnight’s time.

Until Duff came on, there wasn’t much pace or invention going forward, but again I think we can expect something better soon.

With Smith, you either have to play him in midfield or as a target man. As a striker playing off a target man in the first half, he couldn’t get involved, and it was like we had 10 men.

Pay up Ameobis contract and get him out, he's a liability, sell Smith for £3.50 if we can get it.  Milner has now perfected his crossing of the ball and taking corners, hits the first defender EVERY time now. On a positive note, Guthrie was impressive and so was the new guy on the left, popped up all over the pitch, good on the ball and one hell of a work rate, looks strong too.

Agreed.  Even Harper played outfield in a friendly last summer!

I find it amazing to say this but defence is the last thing we should be thinking about strengthening.

this was the case last year too, which I said at the time,  but defenders are cheaper, or better business, or something

Seriously? ???

Without the defenders we brought in (Beye, Faye, Rozehnal, Caçapa, Enrique)... we'd have had Carr, Taylor, Ramage and Edgar to choose from.

A quality midfield player and striker would have the most impact on the team, this was the case last summer, and we bought how many defenders ? 5 ?

2 of them are squad players, not good enough. Faye, Beye and probably Enrique have played well especially the first 2. Thats above average when you are scouting among the basement transfer fees and freebies etc, but if Keegan has seen fit to spend the bulk of his budget [lower than most clubs ?] on a defender then I only hope he isn't another Marcelino, Pistone or Goma - but at least when we bought them we had good attackers and midfield players.

[

I find it amazing to say this but defence is the last thing we should be thinking about strengthening.

this was the case last year too, which I said at the time,  but defenders are cheaper, or better business, or something

Seriously? ???

Without the defenders we brought in (Beye, Faye, Rozehnal, Caçapa, Enrique)... we'd have had Carr, Taylor, Ramage and Edgar to choose from.

he's surely having a laugh

you're happy with Ameobi then ?

Listen mate, you can have the best defenders in the world, but with a donkey like this playing up front..........work it out, its all been said before.

Seriously? ???

A quality midfield player and striker would have the most impact on the team, this was the case last summer, and we bought how many defenders ? 5 ?

2 of them are squad players, not good enough. Faye, Beye and probably Enrique have played well especially the first 2. Thats above average when you are scouting among the basement transfer fees and freebies etc, but if Keegan has seen fit to spend the bulk of his budget [lower than most clubs ?] on a defender then I only hope he isn't another Marcelino, Pistone or Goma - but at least when we bought them we had good attackers and midfield players.

gotta get up and moan, eh NE5..

keep the faith, my friend. I'm sure Keegan knows we need more creativity in our attacking play.

Seriously? ???

I know that you don't follow the foreign leagues NE5, but this player has a reputation as being one of the best defenders on two continents. Whether it works out is another question, but it is an ambitious move, up there with Woodgate.

How many fullbacks have we had at the club who have cost us more than Enrique?  If we sign Coloccini as seems probable, how many defenders have we had that have cost more than him?

I'm guessing that you'll have plenty of names if we're "scouting among the basement transfer fees and freebies."

We go out and spend a lot of money on a quality centre back and NE5 is still moaning :lol:

I do think we need another striker but our 3 best ones weren't playing last night so its not the end of the world!

We go out and spend a lot of money on a quality centre back and NE5 is still moaning :lol:

I do think we need another striker but our 3 best ones weren't playing last night so its not the end of the world!

Yep. Imagine Liverpool with no Keane, Torres or Kuyt. They'd be stuck with Voronin.

Seriously? ???

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

People can grumble on as much as they like about the club not getting its number 1 choices, whatever that means, but in the real world, very few clubs do.

If Keegan continues to get the players he thinks he needs I'll be pretty happy going into the new season.

In order of priority:

Jonas was ace! Fast, creative and good link up play.

We have finally found the "Blackburn" Duff at long last!!

Jose Enrique shat on Nzogbia from a height when we are talking lessons in full back play...

Harps and Krul: Spot on both of you!

Thank funk we have signed Coloccini, 'cos Taylor and Cacapa were all over the place (credit to their attackers!).

Guthrie was impressive, wanted him to move further up the field as I thought he was being over defensive, time will tell.

Nicky butt you are awful, please find your form again, don't regress to your man yoo final form!!!

Milner, learn to cross, the rest of your game was perfect but the first priority for a winger is to supply crosses...

Shole and Smith ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!

In order of priority:

Jonas was ace! Fast, creative and good link up play.

We have finally found the "Blackburn" Duff at long last!!

Jose Enrique shat on Nzogbia from a height when we are talking lessons in full back play...

Harps and Krul: Spot on both of you!

Thank funk we have signed Coloccini, 'cos Taylor and Cacapa were all over the place (credit to their attackers!).

Guthrie was impressive, wanted him to move further up the field as I thought he was being over defensive, time will tell.

Nicky butt you are awful, please find your form again, don't regress to your man yoo final form!!!

Milner, learn to cross, the rest of your game was perfect but the first priority for a winger is to supply crosses...

Shole and Smith ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!

If that's the "Blackburn" Duff then I'm puzzled to why Chelsea spent 17m on him.

Guest Phil K

I'll have to admit to getting very worried.

Hertha aren't exactly a top German side, and a defeat to a poor Doncaster side who were then THUMPED by Bolton, and we score no goals is a frightening statistic

The inexplicable perseverance with that crock of SH1TE Smith is baffling - and annoying

Yep. Imagine Liverpool with no Keane, Torres or Kuyt. They'd be stuck with Voronin.

Keane, Torres and Kuyt aren't extremely injury prone though. They also have stacks of goals from midfield and players there who can fit it up front too (Babel, Gerrard).

It's a daft comparison tbh.

Guest optimistic nit

Keane, Torres and Kuyt aren't extremely injury prone though. They also have stacks of goals from midfield and players there who can fit it up front too (Babel, Gerrard).

It's a daft comparison tbh.

aye. i still have hopes for a striker though, i definately remember seeing a keegan interview a week/2 weeks back where he mentions finishing between 4th and 8th/10th would be a good season, but only a couple of months back the top4 were untouchable. its just an off hand comment, but what keegan says largely depends on the mood he is in, saying strikers are not a priority may just reflect that he is annoyed how none of our bids for strikers have come off thus far.

i still hope and think we will sign one.

we also really need a midfielder as well though, and if possible a left back.