Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

Has anyone in this thread said "It is only a friendly" yet? These will be the same fellas who  took getting beat off Derby away in there stride.

Eh? :lol:

I logged on briefly thought I would post something & then do one :thup:

I find it amazing to say this but defence is the last thing we should be thinking about strengthening.

this was the case last year too, which I said at the time,  but defenders are cheaper, or better business, or something

Seriously? ???

Without the defenders we brought in (Beye, Faye, Rozehnal, Caçapa, Enrique)... we'd have had Carr, Taylor, Ramage and Edgar to choose from.

A quality midfield player and striker would have the most impact on the team, this was the case last summer, and we bought how many defenders ? 5 ?

2 of them are squad players, not good enough. Faye, Beye and probably Enrique have played well especially the first 2. Thats above average when you are scouting among the basement transfer fees and freebies etc, but if Keegan has seen fit to spend the bulk of his budget [lower than most clubs ?] on a defender then I only hope he isn't another Marcelino, Pistone or Goma - but at least when we bought them we had good attackers and midfield players.

gotta get up and moan, eh NE5..

keep the faith, my friend. I'm sure Keegan knows we need more creativity in our attacking play.

I'm sure he does ........

I find it amazing to say this but defence is the last thing we should be thinking about strengthening.

this was the case last year too, which I said at the time,  but defenders are cheaper, or better business, or something

Seriously? ???

Without the defenders we brought in (Beye, Faye, Rozehnal, Caçapa, Enrique)... we'd have had Carr, Taylor, Ramage and Edgar to choose from.

A quality midfield player and striker would have the most impact on the team, this was the case last summer, and we bought how many defenders ? 5 ?

2 of them are squad players, not good enough. Faye, Beye and probably Enrique have played well especially the first 2. Thats above average when you are scouting among the basement transfer fees and freebies etc, but if Keegan has seen fit to spend the bulk of his budget [lower than most clubs ?] on a defender then I only hope he isn't another Marcelino, Pistone or Goma - but at least when we bought them we had good attackers and midfield players.

I know that you don't follow the foreign leagues NE5, but this player has a reputation as being one of the best defenders on two continents. Whether it works out is another question, but it is an ambitious move, up there with Woodgate.

of course, but so were Goma, Marcelino and Pistone. Lets hope he lives up to it. Bigger picture is that its only one signing, most clubs make one decent signing, real ambition for a club like Newcastle is still bigger than this, especially now when we will be starting the season with Ameobi in the team.

I see Bentley has moved to Spurs .......... as well as Modric, and Woodgate ........

Seriously? ???

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

with the 3rd biggest crowd and support in the country, and 14th /15th turnover [something like that] in europe ?

We won't mention who created that  ;D but I'm sorry but punching that weight is what you should be expecting.

Guest elbee909

No surprise to see NE5 still complaining. Pathetic.

its called agenda Dave

I'm stupid

correct

I thought you were meant to be old?

its called ambition Dave

Signing a player of such calibre as Coloccini shows ambition.

You say time and time again that it's all about going for the best players. Well by all accounts this guy is miles better than what we have. Yet you're still fucking complaining. What a joke.

its called ambition Dave

You say time and time again that it's all about going for the best players. Well by all accounts this guy is miles better than what we have. Yet you're still fucking complaining. What a joke.

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

Actually Dave, and this is a serious observation, whats your view on the comments from a few weeks ago and "keeping these deals quiet"? This one has been all over the press. Nobody rivalled us for him either ........ why not ?

its called agenda Dave

I'm stupid

correct

I thought mick was meant to be old?

I thought so too

its called ambition Dave

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

Actually Dave, and this is a serious observation, whats your view on the comments from a few weeks ago and "keeping these deals quiet"? This one has been all over the press. Nobody rivalled us for him either ........ why not ?

All over the press? We've been chasing him for months according to the agent who broke it all.

Nobody rivalled us for him? mackems.gif You know fuck all, just like me, so don't pretend you do.

The facts are you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of crediting the board for a thing. We're on the verge of spending £9m on a defender who is very highly rated and improving the team, yet you're complaining now that he's not the right position. We could sign an entire new team and you'd complain. That's called an agenda. You've become a complete farce.

its called ambition Dave

You say time and time again that it's all about going for the best players. Well by all accounts this guy is miles better than what we have. Yet you're still f***ing complaining. What a joke.

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

Barca had a bid for him turned down last summer

Goma, Marcelino and Pistone were not in this guy's league in terms of ability or reputation, you really don't know what you're talking about

its called ambition Dave

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

All over the press? We've been chasing him for months according to the agent who broke it all.

Nobody rivalled us for him? mackems.gif You know fuck all, just like me, so don't pretend you do.

The facts are you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of crediting the board for a thing. We're on the verge of spending £9m on a defender who is very highly rated and improving the team, yet you're complaining now that they're not the right position. We could sign an entire new team and you'd complain. That's called an agenda. You've become a complete farce.

complete rubbish.

People like you have complained for years about the old regime and buying "trophy players" and other such shite. People like me have ALWAYS said we should be buying players like this.

I take it he isn't a "trophy player" ? I bet he would be if the old regime had shelled out 10m+ for a 26 year old defender.

My point is consistent all the way down the line, I support signings like this, whoever makes them. My point is that for a club like Newcastle, we need to do more than the vast majority of clubs, and we haven't yet done that. Other people have made the same point, so don't make out I'm alone in this view.

At the end of the day, its others who base their "opinions" on personalities, and its clear to see who they are.

We need a dominating centre half.  If we want a good one & a few other good players we might have to bulk out the squad in the free transfer or cut price fee market.  If thats what the manager has decided, then that's fair enough for me.

The club may have slightly limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that people have come to expect.  If that is the case people might have to accept it for the time being, at least in the short term.

with the 3rd biggest crowd and support in the country, and 14th /15th turnover [something like that] in europe ?

We won't mention who created that  ;D but I'm sorry but punching that weight is what you should be expecting.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg712421#msg712421

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=36320.msg714507#msg714507

Yeah but most of what I posted there about the transfers we are targetting are a cut and paste job on your opinions from 18 months ago. 

Why the change of heart? mackems.gif

its called ambition Dave

You say time and time again that it's all about going for the best players. Well by all accounts this guy is miles better than what we have. Yet you're still f***ing complaining. What a joke.

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

Goma, Marcelino and Pistone were not in this guy's league in terms of ability or reputation, you really don't know what you're talking about

The length NE5 will go to, to forward his agenda is just shocking. To use Pistone, Goma as analogous examples to Colocini is just laughable and really discredits him (if his views are woth any credit that is)

complete rubbish.

People like you have complained for years about the old regime and buying "trophy players" and other such shite. People like me have ALWAYS said we should be buying players like this.

I take it he isn't a "trophy player" ? I bet he would be if the old regime had shelled out 10m+ for a 26 year old defender.

My point is consistent all the way down the line, I support signings like this, whoever makes them. My point is that for a club like Newcastle, we need to do more than the vast majority of clubs, and we haven't yet done that. Other people have made the same point, so don't make out I'm alone in this view.

At the end of the day, its others who base their "opinions" on personalities, and its clear to see who they are.

Utter nonsense. Not even going to bite at that codswallop.

its called ambition Dave

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

I think you will find that Marcelino was also one of the highest rated defenders in Spain at the time, ala Pistone in Italy. The fees at the time ie 6m and 4.5m respectively, also probably quite closely equate to the 10m today. But as usual, don't let personalities involved in the transfers, get in the way of the facts.

The summers we bought THOSE players, we also bought OTHER highly rated players for real fees, but don't let that get in the way of your opinion either.

complete rubbish.

Utter nonsense. Not even going to bite at that codswallop.

not codswallop, absolute stone cold fact and you know it.

its called ambition Dave

of course I want more.

Thats the whole point.

Edit

The facts are you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of crediting the board for a thing. We're on the verge of spending £9m on a defender who is very highly rated and improving the team, yet you're complaining now that they're not the right position. We could sign an entire new team and you'd complain. That's called an agenda. You've become a complete farce.

complete rubbish.

In fairness, nobody ever referred to the old boards purchase of Woodgate as a trophy buy, so I don't think this would get that reaction either.