Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

I find it amazing to say this but defence is the last thing we should be thinking about strengthening.

Yup, but then I woudn't read too much into KK's comments. He never said we were after a CB for example, did he?

Point being I'm sure he knows the midfield and striking options are pretty limited beyond a select few.

I find it amazing to say this but defence is the last thing we should be thinking about strengthening.

Yup, but then I woudn't read too much into KK's comments. He never said we were after a CB for example, did he?

Point being I'm sure he knows the midfield and striking options are pretty limited beyond a select few.

It was just a general opinion, I trust him completely to bring in the right players in the right areas :)

I think it is a blessing in disguise the more inept we look upfront with each pre-season game. Just incase anybody at Newcastle, Keegan in particular, was even beginning to think for a second that we were okay upfront.

Other points ...

Guthrie looks a classy, tidier version of Butt and should take over from him very soon, I hope. He would definitely do a better job of distributing the ball. I'm very impressed with Guthrie he was clearly a very good value for money purchase and will only get better.

Milner is popular on here, but he really isn't anywhere good enough for the first team right now. He has a top work rate and a top attitude but he just isn't producing the goods on the field consistently enough. His crossing hasn't improved one bit.

Jonas is a star. His game, his look ... cult status guaranteed.

On the whole I thought everyone looked very fit and much quicker than I remember too, which is a great sign.

that match was cack, an i can honestly say i am better than smith and ameobi put together!!!!  at least spiderman looked like he had some fight in him!!! the rest of it was cack!!!

Milner is popular on here

You must be shitting me. :lol:

Everytime I had a go at him last season, most people didn't seem to agree with me. Quite a few can't look past his work rate and attitude, which are great tbf, but he just isn't good enough. He is a huge liability, costs us so many great opportunities in a game, by not delivering a decent ball.

He was even moved into the middle at one point of the game today and he actually looked worse. He didn't quite know where to be and subsequently faded from the game as he hardly was able to get on the ball.

Milner is popular on here

You must be shitting me. :lol:

Everytime I had a go at him last season, most people didn't seem to agree with me. Quite a few can't look past his work rate and attitude, which are great tbf, but he just isn't good enough. He is a huge liability, costs us so many great opportunities in a game, by not delivering a decent ball.

He was even moved into the middle at one point of the game today and he actually looked worse. He didn't quite know where to be and subsequently faded from the game as he hardly was able to get on the ball.

this is a huge season for milner (if he stays). he can go past a man but has often failed to deliver the pass,may have something to do with the often shit movement for him to look for

What we really need are midfielders.  Not defenders, not forwards, but midfielders.

I'd love a new striker, and I'll be ecstatic if we manage to finally secure Coloccini.  But going into a Premiership season with just Butt, Guthrie, & Geremi is nothing short of mental.  We'll struggle, end up at the wrong end of the table, and everyone will panic.  So let's avoid that this season and just sign the right players.

i really do think we need a new striker. both Viduka and Owen are proven to be injury-prone and our only viable long-term (as in can play a dozen or more games together) partnerships are Owen + Viduka or Martins + Viduka. therefore we need someone to compete with, or ideally, be an upgrade on Viduka. His poor movement had an impact on us when we played 3 upfront so with 2 upfront it would be an even bigger issue. also i don't think Owen and Viduka would be too great together, possibly one of the slowest partnerships in the league with pretty much zero movement out wide and no possibility of anyone getting in behind the opposition back line (especially now that Owen tends to drop back and play in the same area as Viduka).

get in a mobile, physical forward with a bit of skill and nous and our options are increased massively.

i noticed keegan saying we've enquired about some players that the big sides are also interested in and maybe this is the position that's being hardest to fill. santa cruz would be a canny option imo.

Guest Coubury

Zigic or that on that has a similar name to the tennis player djokovic lol cant think of his name smoking to much herb tonight

this was the case last year too, which I said at the time,  but defenders are cheaper, or better business, or something

this was the case last year too, which I said at the time,  but defenders are cheaper, or better business, or something

Defenders should be bought until Taylor can no longer get in the reserve squad, let alone first team.

Defenders should be bought until Taylor can no longer get in the reserve squad, let alone first team.

rubbish

Seriously? ???

Without the defenders we brought in (Beye, Faye, Rozehnal, Caçapa, Enrique)... we'd have had Carr, Taylor, Ramage and Edgar to choose from.

with you on that

[

Seriously? ???

Without the defenders we brought in (Beye, Faye, Rozehnal, Caçapa, Enrique)... we'd have had Carr, Taylor, Ramage and Edgar to choose from.

he's surely having a laugh

No need to over-react guys, it's a friendly. We beat Celtic and Juventus last year and look at how our season turned out, remembering Hertha are probably in a more advanced stage than ourselves too, as was visible towards the end when we were just completely knackered.

Gutierrez was MOTM for the 60 minutes he was on, brilliant. He's very quick, and he's not all about attacking, he did a few very good pieces of defensive work too. Linked up well with N'Zogbia down the left hand side, and he's more than capable of cutting in and using his right foot, which he did on occasions.

Milner did some good things, however his crossing was just fucking woeful. Granted he's still got a few weeks to get it right, however it was his problem last season too and I would've hoped to see an improvement by now.

Guthrie was pretty good in the first half, but he drifted out of it in the second. Played some very good balls over-the-top, his vision is the thing that impressed me the most. However, he was lazy on occasions and hopefully this is just because it was pre-season.

Smith did nothing as usual, and with Ameobi we have offcially the worst front-pairing in history. I laugh at people that say we dont need strikers, I really do. We've got Owen, Martins and Viduka, but Owen and Viduka are likely to be injured more times than they're actually playing.

Our defence looked pretty shaky at times, although with a fee now apparently agreed for Coloccini, hopefully we'll get him sooner rather than later.

Duff looked quite good when he came on off the bench too playing on the RW. He actually had some speed surprisingly, however he's only got a left foot which makes him all too easy to read.

I didn't get to see the game, but I didn't expect we were going to see goals with Smith and Ameobi up front. At the end of the day, it's just preseason, so I'm not going to panic just yet.

Coloccini (sp?) + a central midfielder and another striker and we're in good shape to improve on last year's results. I have faith that Keegan knows this and can get the powers that be to understand the importance of it.