Best Player from the current squad

EthiGeordie

Guest rebel_yell12

Is there any doubt about my vote?

Owen, followed by (currently) Beye -- but I have hopes for some new arrivals that may shake the rankings up a bit!  I think Beye was really a rock at the back this season, but then anything was an improvement on his "cover", as we saw during the AcoN.

Owen's a better player than Martins -- all this talk about potential is fair enough, but by Oba's age, Michael Owen was a world-class player who had already won the Ballon d'Or.  Add to that, Owen was the top-scorer for his club nearly every season he's been a professional footballer (including last season) and averages approx. 1 goal every 2 matches over his career (including last season).  Last season, Martins scored 1 goal every 228 minutes played.  Owen scored 1 goal for every 198 minutes played.  Can you see Martins adapting to play as the deeper striker, making the 4-3-3 work, as Owen did?  No.  Oba may be a better athlete than Michael Owen -- don't know too many who'd argue against that -- but Owen is a better footballer.  Now, maybe in five years Oba will think the game as well as Owen and develop a lot of those skills, we don't know.  But comparing five years into the future is...difficult to say the least.  Comparing the two as they are now, Owen is a better player.  He scores more goals (though not as flash goals, admittedly), he adapts better, can link play, is more consistent and his movement is exponentially better. 

And for those saying the squad looked worse during the ACoN without Martins, that's a very difficult direct correlation to sell -- multiple OTHER players were missing as well (Beye, Faye, Geremi, Viduka, and for part of it, Barton) who all played in the end of season resurgence.  Take six players out of ANY starting eleven and you'd have a worse-looking squad, especially when playing ManUtd, Arsenal (more than once), and Liverpool with that ravaged squad.  If Martins had been available, but the other five still missing or more accurately to the proposed correlation, if Martins had been upfront with Smith, not Owen, I don't think any more matches would have been won.

Owen, followed by (currently) Beye -- but I have hopes for some new arrivals that may shake the rankings up a bit!  I think Beye was really a rock at the back this season, but then anything was an improvement on his "cover", as we saw during the AcoN.

Owen's a better player than Martins -- all this talk about potential is fair enough, but by Oba's age, Michael Owen was a world-class player who had already won the Ballon d'Or.  Add to that, Owen was the top-scorer for his club nearly every season he's been a professional footballer (including last season) and averages approx. 1 goal every 2 matches over his career (including last season).  Last season, Martins scored 1 goal every 228 minutes played.  Owen scored 1 goal for every 198 minutes played.  Can you see Martins adapting to play as the deeper striker, making the 4-3-3 work, as Owen did?  No.  Oba may be a better athlete than Michael Owen -- don't know too many who'd argue against that -- but Owen is a better footballer.  Now, maybe in five years Oba will think the game as well as Owen and develop a lot of those skills, we don't know.  But comparing five years into the future is...difficult to say the least.  Comparing the two as they are now, Owen is a better player.  He scores more goals (though not as flash goals, admittedly), he adapts better, can link play, is more consistent and his movement is exponentially better. 

And for those saying the squad looked worse during the ACoN without Martins, that's a very difficult direct correlation to sell -- multiple OTHER players were missing as well (Beye, Faye, Geremi, Viduka, and for part of it, Barton) who all played in the end of season resurgence.  Take six players out of ANY starting eleven and you'd have a worse-looking squad, especially when playing ManUtd, Arsenal (more than once), and Liverpool with that ravaged squad.  If Martins had been available, but the other five still missing or more accurately to the proposed correlation, if Martins had been upfront with Smith, not Owen, I don't think any more matches would have been won.

Out of interest, do you support Newcastle?

I don't think I've seen you pass comment on anything that doesn't involve Owen.

Looking past age I'd say Mark Viduka by far.

A fit Michael Owen is certainly the most valuable player for Newcastle in the coming season though.

Define best player.

Most valuable to the team?

If it is our most valuable player then I would say Martins. The team just isn't the same without him in it.

When Owen was out at the start of last season we still looked dangerous with Martins in the team, however when he was out due to the ACN and Owen was fit , we looked very poor from an attacking standpoint.

Rubbish.

:lol:

What an intelligent debate from the man with no opinion on anything.

I have an opinion on you, if you'd like to hear it?

Define best player.

Most valuable to the team?

If it is our most valuable player then I would say Martins. The team just isn't the same without him in it.

When Owen was out at the start of last season we still looked dangerous with Martins in the team, however when he was out due to the ACN and Owen was fit , we looked very poor from an attacking standpoint.

Rubbish.

:lol:

What an intelligent debate from the man with no opinion on anything.

Why are you still biting?

Sadly, nobody's name particularly springs out, but Faye is the player that I'd be least inclined to drop. Easily our best centre back, and probably our best defensive midfielder as well.

Liverpool fan iirc (i could be well out of order there, but think it was mentioned a while back though).

Guest rebel_yell12

Liverpool fan iirc (i could be well out of order there, but think it was mentioned a while back though).

I am indeed a Liverpool fan primarily, and have been a fan of Owen because of that (and at times, despite it) since 1996 when I watched him play in the team that won the Youth Cup for us that year (had Carra in it as well).  Lived most of my life in York, though, (before moving to America) and had some great mates at school who supported Newcastle United.  So they've been a "second" club for me for a long time. 

To answer the earlier question, I have posted on things that don't involve Owen actually.  Mostly on topics about what needs bringing in, iirc.  Probably a good two-thirds though relate to Owen.  But then, so do a lot of topics/threads on the board (match comments, possible formations, etc.) and I think people tend to post on what most sparks their opinions at any rate.  I'm not as well-versed in Toon Army lore and legends as some not being a Geordie myself, so I tend to not "speak up" on those sorts of things.  I don't think I've posted much at all this summer, as my job has been going about 80 hours per week.  In this case, I was more tweaked by the attempted correlation of Martins' absence and abysmal form for the club than anything else.  Couldn't see posting without stating my opinion, in case anyone doubted it, though.  Just for clarity sake.