Newcastle United 2-1 Valencia - 09/08/08 - Post Match Reaction from Page 22

Dave

Am I the only one who thought we were a bit average ? Valencia's movement and passing was miles better. We did well in parts, but it was just too static at times. Good to get the goals but they completely changed their team. I still think if we played them in a proper match they would beat us quite easily.

Pretty fair assessment, I thought we did ok without causing them too many problems.

Am I the only one who thought we were a bit average ? Valencia's movement and passing was miles better. We did well in parts, but it was just too static at times. Good to get the goals but they completely changed their team. I still think if we played them in a proper match they would beat us quite easily.

Pretty fair assessment, I thought we did ok without causing them too many problems.

Yea, we did ok and they threatened but didn't really get any good chances. We kept the ball well just need some more movement. Most of the individual stuff was good, just think when we went out wide, and it was blocked off the switching of play was a bit slow. The other thing was the space we afforded players, there were quite a few times where the ball was passed and the man could just turn and run at the defence. It wasn't shit by anymeans, though if they had kept their main defenders on I don't think we would of won it.

Guest JamesyJazz

So Zog was playing at LB today,is Enrique injured?

Why the booing of Smith?The guy is a grafter,has never slagged the Toon off and certainly will gain no confidence if the knee jerk,herd following morons continue with a futile,ignorant vendetta.

Nice to see the lads had a win tho.

Why the booing of Smith?The guy is a grafter,has never slagged the Toon off and certainly will gain no confidence if the knee jerk,herd following morons continue with a futile,ignorant vendetta.

and why do we want him to gain confidence? he's shit and if people want to tell Keegan what they think of him, let them

I personally wouldn't boo but if people have paid to get it, let them

and why do we want him to gain confidence? he's shit and if people want to tell Keegan what they think of him, let them

http://www.field.ca/images/large/fishing_fromcanoe_lg.jpg

Guest JamesyJazz

and why do we want him to gain confidence? he's s*** and if people want to tell Keegan what they think of him, let them

Typical type of retort that I expected to be traipsed out from the vigilante attitude mob that seem to be gaining more ground on here.

Why on earth you do not want a Toon player who has the ability to score 45 goals so far in his career not to gain some much needed confidence just beggars belief.

To be honest, the booing was quite miniscule, with the majority of the fans telling other people to STFU.

Day tripping mongs and familys that believe the shite they read in the papers.  I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Anyhow, OK performance in my book.  The way some of you lot are speaking its like we played like Brazil or something :)

Valencia passed and played very well until they chopped and changed.

Anyhow, highlights from the game:

Obafemi looking sharp and his overall game seems to have improved.  Held the ball up well and passed brilliantly.

Jonas looking very direct.  His passing, workrate and overall performance has to be applauded.  

Damien Duff played very well, passing and moving like the Damo of old.

Guthrie very composed and aware in the centre of the park.  Calling him a 'new Rob Lee' is a bold statement, but is going to be an interesting player to watch develop.

Cacapa played well and made a few timely challenges.

Cant be arsed to go through the rest of them, but they all played ok.  Including Smith.

On a lighter note, anyone in the Leazes hopefully would have noticed a Ball Boy give their 'keeper some shit.

He looked at the keeper, keeper expected the ball to come to his feet.  Ball Boy belted it 10 yards in the other direction away and then just sat down.  Hillarious.  There goalie was pissing himself laughing too.

:clap:

All in all, feeling more and more positive about next weekend.  Hopefully we can avoid a thrashing.  

3 weeks left of this window, lets be having it.

The biggest problem I found with the booing of Smith is that he may in some way think he was being booed because he is leaving last thing we fkn need is for him to think we want him here. :lol:

No for real booing any player on your own team is a fkn disgrace!! but it was full of part timers, north east corner was full of part timers anyway, you can tell because every time you shout anything to a player or at the ref every cunt turns around and stares at you..

Guest JamesyJazz

To be honest, the booing was quite miniscule, with the majority of the fans telling other people to STFU.

Day tripping mongs and familys that believe the s**** they read in the papers.  I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Anyhow, OK performance in my book.  The way some of you lot are speaking its like we played like Brazil or something :)

Valencia passed and played very well until they chopped and changed.

Anyhow, highlights from the game:

Obafemi looking sharp and his overall game seems to have improved.  Held the ball up well and passed brilliantly.

Jonas looking very direct.  His passing, workrate and overall performance has to be applauded.  

Damien Duff played very well, passing and moving like the Damo of old.

Guthrie very composed and aware in the centre of the park.  Calling him a 'new Rob Lee' is a bold statement, but is going to be an interesting player to watch develop.

Cacapa played well and made a few timely challenges.

Cant be arsed to go through the rest of them, but they all played ok.  Including Smith.

On a lighter note, anyone in the Leazes hopefully would have noticed a Ball Boy give their 'keeper some s***.

He looked at the keeper, keeper expected the ball to come to his feet.  Ball Boy belted it 10 yards in the other direction away and then just sat down.  Hillarious.  There goalie was pissing himself laughing too.

:clap:

All in all, feeling more and more positive about next weekend.  Hopefully we can avoid a thrashing.  

3 weeks left of this window, lets be having it.

Thanks for putting it all into context Matty,

Really pleased to hear that Guthrie is looking like he has the ability to be a decent signing,a scouse workmate who knows his footballreally rated him as a player who would improve and be one to watch in the near future.

and why do we want him to gain confidence? he's s*** and if people want to tell Keegan what they think of him, let them

People who boo our own players on to the pitch are morons.

Guest neesy111

People who boo our own players on to the pitch are morons.

problem is when ppl have paid £15 for a friendly, then they are entilted to boo anyone, especially someone who i consider to be a worse footballer than i am

also when he tried to shoot, it was pathetic

problem is when ppl have paid £15 for a friendly, then they are entilted to boo anyone, especially someone who i consider to be a worse footballer than i am

The £15 is to watch the game and support the team, booing a player is for morons and is free of charge.

Given 6 - Not much to do.

Beye 7 - Solid, assisted wing play well

Taylor 7 - Rarely threatened by Valencia but did what he needed to do.

Cacapa 8 - Thwarted some of Valencia's best moves.

N'Zogbia - Defensively 4, offensively 7. Would he be that good offensively though if he didn't get the space typically afforded to a left back? I doubt it.

Milner 7 - seemed to enjoy the increased emphasis on flexibility in the side. Well taken goal.

Butt 6 - Defensively good, but struggled to generate any tempo.

Guthrie 7 - Really keeps the team ticking, and rarely wastes a pass. He slowed down for the first half hour of the second half, and this was reflected in the teams lack of tempo in that period. Needs to keep the pace up.

Gutierrez 8 - Combine the best bits of Dyer, Milner and Gillespie, and you get Jonas.

Martins 6 - Good to have him back, some good touches and runs at time. However, being the main striker today, his positional discipline wasn't quite there, reducing our threat in the final third.

Duff 9 - Like Milner, enjoying the formational flexibility, and really benefitting from it too.

Were you at the match? I only ask as I can't understand how Cacapa gets 8. He will get roasted in a full blooded PL game playing like he did. IMO he was at fault for the goal caught ball watching. Anyhows, we did ok, we need Colocinni in & settled, Zog still isn't a left back, our centre midfield is not strong/ creative enough & we need a target man.

Not being negative here just realistic. Beye, Jonas, Duff & Milner all did well. We will struggle to score goals if we play a front 2 of Owens & Martins & if we play 442 at Manure we will get stuffed.

Overall workrate was excellent.

Guest neesy111

The £15 is to watch the game and support the team, booing a player is for morons and is free of charge.

fans have every right to do what they like, it's not right, but calling them morons, fucking hell we wouldn't have any fan's left if you we're in charge

when we pay their massive wages, then fan's have every right to boo etc, thats the fact football's a business and when ppl don't like what their paying for they are going 2 compain

fans have every right to do what they like, it's not right, but calling them morons, f***ing hell we wouldn't have any fan's left if you we're in charge

when we pay their massive wages, then fan's have every right to boo etc, thats the fact football's a business and when ppl don't like what their paying for they are going 2 compain

the bloke who sits behind me has every right to slag off jose enrique every week regardless wether he plays well or not.

i have the right to tell him he knows fuck all !

i thought cacapa was briliant today, looked miles better than last year.

The game was played at 3/4 pace at best & he nearly got caught in possession in dangerous areas a couple of times, from where I was sitting he seemed to get caught unawares for the goal (Taylor wasn't happy). I don't seem him doing the business in the PL as he looks like a player who needs time on the ball & he isn't strong in possession. Speaking of which, Jonas' strength in possession was excellent.

fans have every right to do what they like, it's not right, but calling them morons, f***ing hell we wouldn't have any fan's left if you we're in charge

I would rather Smith was playing for another club because he's not a very good footballer but I'll not boo him because of it.  I'm guessing from your reaction that you were one of those who did.