Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

He did, he played against Reading and Sheff Wed then got loaned out.

Was a performance to be remembered too.

Indeed,  I remember how s*** he was

:lol:

And somehow manage to forget how s*** Ranger was in the first half against Leicester, or away at Peterbrough, or in a fair few of his sub apperances.

Was brilliant the whole game against Leicester if I remember correctly. Most of his sub appearances have been under 20 minutes or so. He has had more time recently to be fair but he's still looked dangerous to me.

no he wasn't. he was decent but the performance was hyped up because it was a youngster making his debut. had exactly the same performance been put in by a more experienced player it wouldn't have been seen as "brilliant".

oh and shola looked a better prospect whern he first broke through.

That's really a matter of opinion. It was made MORE impressive due to it being his first game. Was still bloody good regardless.

good,not brilliant and as i say, made more of because he's young than the actual performance warranted.

Fascinating.

isn't it. the way a perception of a performance can be altered because of who is doing it.

Btw in the other thread Ronaldo praises Harewood for not running around much. :lol:

depends on when. sometimes forwards do use too much energy chasing down stuff they shouldn't (can't say this of harewood mind who seems not to chase stuff he should)

Madras, sorry he didn't score a hat-trick, do a somersault and cook a chicken under his armpit but he well deserved his Man of the Match. I see where you're coming from in regards to people hyping it up because he is young but imo that's perfectly justified. Regardless of his youth it was STILL a commanding motm performance.

And somehow manage to forget how s*** Ranger was in the first half against Leicester, or away at Peterbrough, or in a fair few of his sub apperances.

Was brilliant the whole game against Leicester if I remember correctly. Most of his sub appearances have been under 20 minutes or so. He has had more time recently to be fair but he's still looked dangerous to me.

no he wasn't. he was decent but the performance was hyped up because it was a youngster making his debut. had exactly the same performance been put in by a more experienced player it wouldn't have been seen as "brilliant".

That's really a matter of opinion. It was made MORE impressive due to it being his first game. Was still bloody good regardless.

good,not brilliant and as i say, made more of because he's young than the actual performance warranted.

Fascinating.

isn't it. the way a perception of a performance can be altered because of who is doing it.

No, i think its more fascinating that you are so offended by a 18 year old on his first senior performing so well.. (MOTM and standing ovation).  Which leads to people saying we could have a really good player on our hands.

Instead you would rather post say - 5 relies in the last 20 minutes - saying why his performance wasn't all that and that 'x' player was better blah blah blah'. 

Fascinating.

No, i think its more fascinating that you are so offended by a 18 year old on his first senior performing so well.. (MOTM and standing ovation).  Which leads to people saying we could have a really good player on our hands.

Instead you would rather post say - 5 relies in the last 20 minutes - saying why his performance wasn't all that and that 'x' player was better blah blah blah'. 

offended ? i've said he had a good game, danny guthrie was the best player on the pitch for me. i've stated repeatedly that he's a good prospect and that recently i'd have had in the team instead of harewood. but i'm not going to go way over the top like some.

oh and  MotM is hardly reliable as you should know how many times it's discussed that the MotM awarded bore no relation to the game. if a player scores a hat trick he will generally be awarded it even if one was a pen ,one was a mis hit and the third was his only decent touch in 90mins.

standing ovation for having a good game for a youngster on his debut seems fair enough.

you wouldn't expect him to create what ? he didn't create, he challenged for a ball that was close to him and it happened to fall that way. if we hadn't scored from it you wouldn't bring it up or at least give credit to everyone who touched the ball in that move regardless of who they are.

I wouldnt expect many players to be able to challenge two defenders & a goalkeeper and force them to make an error because of it. Strength in a target man is a very useful trait, he has a good amount of it & used it in that situation to keep an attacking move going when another would have let it fall away. The move came from a corner & i would give praise to all 3 players involved yes.

you wouldn't expect him to create what ? he didn't create, he challenged for a ball that was close to him and it happened to fall that way. if we hadn't scored from it you wouldn't bring it up or at least give credit to everyone who touched the ball in that move regardless of who they are.

I wouldnt expect many players to be able to challenge two defenders & a goalkeeper and force them to make an error because of it. Strength in a target man is a very useful trait, he has a good amount of it & used it in that situation to keep an attacking move going when another would have let it fall away. The move came from a corner & i would give praise to all 3 players involved yes.

good grief man he challenged for a corner and i'm now supposed to take on board that he is soo good despite what i have seen. he's abig lad and out to impress, challenging like that is the least we should expect,shola used to, carroll does etc.

Liking Danny Guthrie seems to go hand in hand with being bitter about life on here. It's a strange phenomenon.

who's liking danny guthrie ?

You said you thought he was MOTM. Thinking back he was really good that night so ignore that comment.

Gonna bail on this one early!

Liking Danny Guthrie seems to go hand in hand with being bitter about life on here. It's a strange phenomenon.

who's liking danny guthrie ?

You said you thought he was MOTM. Thinking back he was really good that night so ignore that comment.

Gonna bail on this one early!

he was MotM for me that night. the thing is i don't have favourites so i can view players objectivly. you'll find i've been very critical of guthrie in the past for going missing. my problem is i'm too honest.

good grief man he challenged for a corner and i'm now supposed to take on board that he is soo good despite what i have seen. he's abig lad and out to impress, challenging like that is the least we should expect,shola used to, carroll does etc.

You brought up the Cardiff match as being a bad one for him, i pointed out that without him we wouldnt have scored the goal we did & won the match. Seems a pretty obviously valid point. Obviously i think his performances as a whole were more impressive than you do also. You could use the least we could expect argument to disregard any positive attribute. Like Krul saving shots. A young player challenging 3 of the opposition and getting us a positive outcome, isnt really the least most would expect.

You brought up the Cardiff match as being a bad one for him, i pointed out that without him we wouldnt have scored the goal we did & won the match. Seems a pretty obviously valid point. Obviously i think his performances as a whole were more impressive than you do also. You could use the least we could expect argument to disregard any positive attribute. Like Krul saving shots. A young player challenging 3 of the opposition and getting us a positive outcome, isnt really the least most would expect.

so his most productive thing in the game was to challenge for a header, the least that should be expected for a big forward. even if he'd scored the winner it wouldn't mean he'd played well.

Being influential in us scoring is quite a big plus point thats why i brought it up. I didnt say he had a magnificient game, but you cannot then ignore contributions that lead to a goal. Unless you think Nolans having a bad season?

Anyway, everyone was rubbish v Cardiff as i say. He's done well the majority of times he's played, if he hadnt we wouldnt have won so many matches with him starting the game or got winners after he came on.

Theres a difference between challenging for a header & challenging 3 players for a header also.

Being influential in us scoring is quite a big plus point thats why i brought it up. I didnt say he had a magnificient game, but you cannot then ignore contributions that lead to a goal. Unless you think Nolans having a bad season?

Anyway, everyone was rubbish v Cardiff as i say. He's done well the majority of times he's played, if he hadnt we wouldnt have won so many matches with him starting the game or got winners after he came on.

the defence weren't rubbish and alan smith had one of his better games for us. you've answered your own question re-nolan in that he's scoring goals without actually playing well.

the bit about winning games with him is silly as you could aswell point out that we've lost 2 of our three defeats without nicky butt...that doesn't mean it's because of. do you know what causality is ?

Theres a difference between challenging for a header & challenging 3 players for a header also.

That statement is about as true as this one:

If you're comparing consistantly solid performances, he's only 2nd behind Carroll.

You aren't the only one (clearly) but the hype over these two is ridiculous.

the defence weren't rubbish and alan smith had one of his better games for us. you've answered your own question re-nolan in that he's scoring goals without actually playing well.

the bit about winning games with him is silly as you could aswell point out that we've lost 2 of our three defeats without nicky butt...that doesn't mean it's because of. do you know what causality is ?

So do you give Nolan credit for playing a part in us scoring goals this season? If you say you do, purely because he's scoring them thats very shortsighted.

We went through the whole butt situation a few pages ago, not sure why youd go down that route again

So do you give Nolan credit for playing a part in us scoring goals this season? If you say you do, purely because he's scoring them thats very shortsighted.

We went through the whole butt situation a few pages ago, not sure why youd go down that route again

i'll credit him with scoring goals. right now i'd have him in the team for that alone regardless of his overall performances.

the butt bit was about causality as you appear to think thosethings happened just because ranger was playing.

If you're comparing consistantly solid performances, he's only 2nd behind Carroll.

You aren't the only one (clearly) but the hype over these two is ridiculous.

The only player whos started catching up with the amount Carroll & Ranger have played is Harewood & you're having a laugh if you think hes been consistantly better than both.

Neither Ameobi or Loven have played enough to compare.

i'll credit him with scoring goals. right now i'd have him in the team for that alone regardless of his overall performances.

the butt bit was about causality as you appear to think thosethings happened just because ranger was playing.

So you'd have Ranger in the team against Cardiff then, because he helped create a goal. You just dont think his performances deserves any credit either, at the same time ?

Do i really have to go into why Ranger has been useful for us when upfront, as a side thats played longball football. It should be massively obvious.