Attacking midfielder

Baggio

What?

Seems to be the thing on here, how desperate we are for an attacking midfielder.

Can't see what the fuss is about tbh.

What's the alternative? We can take it from there.

What?

Seems to be the thing on here, how desperate we are for an attacking midfielder.

Can't see what the fuss is about tbh.

Are you content with the midfield as it is then?

I didn't say that, I'm just curious to find out the obsession with an attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder combo when few of the top clubs use this anymore, preferring to go for more of a solid base in midfield.

In fact the only time the majority of top clubs use an attacking midfielder effectively is when it's in front of a solid midfield in a free role behind the front man, which is where Owen has looked his best for us.

I think Baggio has a point to be honest, i dont buy this idea that we will all of a sudden become a creative force with the "missing link" persoannly id place ball possession and repossession much higher on the list than an attacking midfiderl who maybe occassionaly be able to spot the odd chance and through ball that another player with less attacking ability couldnt. Id place wingers on the same level of importance/if not more important than an attacking midfider as they are the ones that really create the chances. as long as we have central players who are able to consistently find the wingers and maybe occassionaly chip in the the odd goal i see no great importance for an attacking midfider.  

We need someone who can make things happen. Pull the strings and cause a bit of bother in the final third.

We've not got anyone who frightens other teams. We're very much 'run-of-the-mill' going forward - nothing startling but not shit either. An extra 15 goals could be the difference between 13th and 7th. 

In most of our games in the past few years our forwards got next to no decent service, that is why we need a quality midfielder who can create for them. I pity players like Owen and Martins, get hardly any service then get the blame for not scoring.

We need someone who can make things happen. Pull the strings and cause a bit of bother in the final third.

We've not got anyone who frightens other teams. We're very much 'run-of-the-mill' going forward - nothing startling but not shit either. An extra 15 goals could be the difference between 13th and 7th.   

Our problem at the moment is that there doesn't seem to be any link up between midfield and attack and I don't think it's necessarily the responsibility of the midfield, but surely that role should be filled by a striker or someone playing in a withdrawn striker role?

We've seen for ourselves how much a weak midfield can have on our ability to stop leaking goals, yet people are suggesting playing an attacking midfielder which wouldn't do anything to improve the problem.

We don't need an attacking mid, Owen is ours and does a great job, we need someone in the middle who can pass it to someone on his own team on a consistent basis. Could be Guthrie, not convinced though, maybe in a few years.

Our problem at the moment is that there doesn't seem to be any link up between midfield and attack and I don't think it's necessarily the responsibility of the midfield, but surely that role should be filled by a striker or someone playing in a withdrawn striker role?

We've seen for ourselves how much a weak midfield can have on our ability to stop leaking goals, yet people are suggesting playing an attacking midfielder which wouldn't do anything to improve the problem.

Our midfield is completely static, there's not one midfielder that can beat a man and drive into the oppositions defence or one midfielder that can feed through balls to the striker, though I do agree the link up play needs to improve.

Guest Heneage

Paul Gascoigne was the last real 'playmaker' we had of any substance. Discuss.

No.

Just messing, I think we've had afew craftsmen as of late, I'd say Solano was the last one, its the ability to read the game in such a way that you know where to play the ball.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Which is why people keep saying we need a good defensive midfielder also?

If they are not saying it then they should be!

We haven't got anyone who can open up teams, simple as that really.

What exactly does that mean? And how many of these players are there about who dont play at the top top clubs?

The way i see it, is that your wingers are far more creative than anyone else in the team, as long as they are effective, and they are reciving alot of psoession then they will create oppurtunites.

We haven't got anyone who can open up teams, simple as that really.

What exactly does that mean? And how many of these players are there about who dont play at the top top clubs?

The way i see it, is that your wingers are far more creative than anyone else in the team, as long as they are effective, and they are reciving alot of psoession then they will create oppurtunites.

If you're relying on your wingers to provide all the creativity then it's going to pretty easy gameplan from the opposition, we need more options than just giving it to our wingers and hoping they'll provide the creativity, we need someone in midfield who's going to pick up the ball and do something with it other than passing it sideways.