The Captaincy

Tooj

I'd go with Beye, but everyone seems to think he's had a poor pre-season, so maybe he should concentrate on his own game.

Reckon KK will go with Butt.

That one must have passed me by! Doesn't look totally match fit but seemed up for it and fairly comfortable against Valencia. He put in one or two marvellous slide tackles down in the corner.

Butt will get it on Sunday; i can't see Geremi playing tbh.

I've not seen much pre-season, just reading comments on here, the match threads came out with a strong opinion that he wasn't firing just yet.

Ah right. Well, fwiw - i wouldn't worry. :D

Guest justin99.

And when he did, his 'amazing' saves didn't actually inspire anyone else to pull their finger out.

you can't blame Shay for that.

I think off field he's perfect, but on the pitch i couldn't think of anyone worse.

why is that?

I think his ability to pull off amazing saves would certainly inspire his teammates

He hasn't had that ability for quite a while now though tbf.

Even if he gets it back, and i'm sure it will, its not exactly a reason to be made a captain.

He's got no leadership skills on the pitch, in fact not many of our players do which has been a massive problem since Shearer left.

i cant think of anyone obvious to make captain either.

beye maybe, or colo if he settles and is that type of player.

I think we've suffered because of it. Problem is, for me the Captain should just be an extention of the manager, and we've got no one like him in the squad. Owen isn't a bad choice, but is unreliable in terms of fitness and again lacks real motivational and communicational skills to be a top Captain. Colo could do it next year if settled, but i just hope this season for him to settle in to our team, our City, our hearts and to help Taylors game.

Guest optimistic nit

i think our lack of leadership has definately shown in the past years when weve been going through sticky patches, we become really disorginised and chaotic, which may well in part be due to lack of leadership on the field.

the only reason to have owen as your captain is because he is the best player. he isnt a leader, and until he signs a new contract i will have niggling doubts about his committment to the club as well.

As ridiculous as it may sound, Damien Duff is a chance if Keegan doesn't think Butt needs the additional pressure...

You do know Wullie is on his way to your house in OZ to kick you square in the nads.

It's a long way to come to punish me for suggesting it when he could stay in Old Blighty and punish Keegan for doing it :lol:

As ridiculous as it may sound, Damien Duff is a chance if Keegan doesn't think Butt needs the additional pressure...

You do know Wullie is on his way to your house in OZ to kick you square in the nads.

It's a long way to come to punish me for suggesting it when he could stay in Old Blighty and punish Keegan for doing it :lol:

His hatered for Duff knows no bounds or timezones for that matter.

Expect a delivery in around 14 hours ish.  O0

And when he did, his 'amazing' saves didn't actually inspire anyone else to pull their finger out.

Another reason I wouldn't want Shay is this new "respect" campaign. Who knows how effective if it will be, I certainly have my doubts that anything will change. But if they really do start making captains settle disputes at least part of the time, I'd rather our captain wasn't a keeper.

Hopefully, in a few months, Colo will be familiar enough to take the band, but obviously not yet. Suppose it will have to be Butt for now, none of the other choices are really any better.

I'm not, but you claimed him making these saves would inspire teammates and past experience has shown it hasn't.

A few months ago (before the new year incident) id of given it to Barton, would of been a hugely unpopular choice but i think it would of been a really really smart move in the sense that it was his to lose, think ti would of driven him as a player and a person.

Beye stands out for me, leader of men, fanstatstic attitude, very popular and has massive experince and is in a good position to lead, i can see Butt getting it though, it's clear that he's respected aroubnd the place, and i think that Keegan genuinely loves him as a player and a person.