So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by some of the recent comments in this thread, sounds like most of the intelligent folk have gone to bed in England there and left the lunatics to run the asylum.

In much the same way as NE5 showed illogical backing for the old board despite the wave of evidence against it, we've somehow got a new breed of poster here who will not have a bad word said about the new man in charge.

One such poster has complained in another post of people on here been so black or white in their views, pot and kettles, glass houses and throwing stones, spring to mind.

HTT telling supporters, who the bulk of which, have never seen a major trophy lifted in their lifetime as toon fans, to be patient, is pure comedy.

Whichever way you try to spin it, the cool hard facts are that we've got a squad of players that lacks numbers greatly (even KK admits it), with a huge drop off in quality outside the first 11.

Get your freakin heads out of the sand, we've made a good start but we can not sustain that with this squad, unless we get a huge slice of luck with injuries suspensions and form.

No one and I mean no one has criticised the quality of the recruits we have thus far brought in but if we don't bring in 2 or 3 quality players before Monday this will have been a failure of a transfer window, as was the last one and on hindsight the one before.

I hope to god Dave post another "I told you so" post on Monday evening laughing at all us miserable bastards and I'll be the first to laugh along and hold my hands up to say I was wrong to worry but the signs are not good. 

tbf i think 15 out of 20 premiership clubs would call this transfer window a failure for themselves, so it's not like we are the exception, clubs don't want to sell

TBH i don't give a f***ing s*** what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

So lets go and do what?

What do you suggest we do?

Lets go and sign who, how much and where from?

If you have any answers, get yourself to SJP because they could well do with you reading some posts on here :lol:

Guest hikickry

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by some of the recent comments in this thread, sounds like most of the intelligent folk have gone to bed in England there and left the lunatics to run the asylum.

In much the same way as NE5 showed illogical backing for the old board despite the wave of evidence against it, we've somehow got a new breed of poster here who will not have a bad word said about the new man in charge.

One such poster has complained in another post of people on here been so black or white in their views, pot and kettles, glass houses and throwing stones, spring to mind.

HTT telling supporters, who the bulk of which, have never seen a major trophy lifted in their lifetime as toon fans, to be patient, is pure comedy.

Whichever way you try to spin it, the cool hard facts are that we've got a squad of players that lacks numbers greatly (even KK admits it), with a huge drop off in quality outside the first 11.

Get your freakin heads out of the sand, we've made a good start but we can not sustain that with this squad, unless we get a huge slice of luck with injuries suspensions and form.

No one and I mean no one has criticised the quality of the recruits we have thus far brought in but if we don't bring in 2 or 3 quality players before Monday this will have been a failure of a transfer window, as was the last one and on hindsight the one before.

I hope to god Dave post another "I told you so" post on Monday evening laughing at all us miserable bastards and I'll be the first to laugh along and hold my hands up to say I was wrong to worry but the signs are not good.   

i am sort of in between the extremes:

On the one hand, yes i am extremely happy with how our current signings have turned out. Its the first summer (in a long time) i can think of where one of our signings hasn't turned out to be a dud. So yes, i am optimistic about our chances with that quality. I know that our fully fit starting XI is enough to give any club a run for their money so thats reason to be happy. Youth players could be an answer to some of the problems that could arise, there could be a lot of potential there. however,

I also understand that a couple of major injuries here and there could completely alter the face of our team, and perhaps shape the outcome of our season. In that respect, i couldn't say i would be 100% happy with how this window has turned out if it stayed as it is, as in my opinion, we would have left ourselves short in certain positions.

Having said all that though, the one thing i have learnt most, is that nothing we say or do, however we rant on here, is going to have any effect on the progress of any transfers, therefore i am trying to look at it in such away as that whatever happens, happens, and there isn't really anything we can do. So why get annoyed? It's pointless.

Guest neesy111

tbf i think 15 out of 20 premiership clubs would call this transfer window a failure for themselves, so it's not like we are the exception, clubs don't want to sell

TBH i don't give a fucking shit what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

took the words right out of my mouth

so ur saying martins, viduka, owen, carroll are all gonna be sold or injured before that situation then

injuries happen at all clubs, look at man utd they are still desperate for a striker and they are the best team on the planet

and what do you want, another carl cort, luque, viana, boumsong then

if u do then fucking support chelsea or someone that can applease you and your desired trophy signings that you crave for

TBH i don't give a f***ing s*** what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

Got to concur also with that.

TBH i don't give a fucking shit what the how the other clubs think they have done, I care about what goes at Newcastle. And when we are fielding Alan Smith up front on his own and some reserve kid in the the middle of the park away to Wigan, what portsmouth did in this transfer window will have no relevance.

so ur saying martins, viduka, owen, carroll are all gonna be sold or injured before that situation then

injuries happen at all clubs, look at man utd they are still desperate for a striker and they are the best team on the planet

if u do then fucking support chelsea or someone that can applease you and your desired trophy signings that you crave for

sorry mate, nothing personal.

Your comment about ManU shows the desire to remain the best, so why not take your lead from them in terms of the need to keep changing, you can't stand still in this game.

Simple truth is, the only striker we have, who is likely to stay fit and perform for about 25 games, is Martins.

Owen hopefully will, but his history says he won't. Viduka won't. Carroll is a kid. Ameobi is crap. Smith has not been a success.

What is that left ?

As for the "trophy signings", I will tell you that its trophies that I want, and for Newcastle to sign the sort of players who win these trophies. If you want to ridiculously label them as "trophy players" then you have a lot to learn, but I suspect that you are just regurgitating the bollocks cliches that are spouted around by other people who's views change like the wind.

Having supported this club since 1964, and seen a damn sight worse than this, I'm not going to change now. I suspect people like you would be sorely tested if you had even a slight taste of real mediocrity, if you really think you have seen it at this club in the last decade and a half.

Owen started 24 league games last year for us, I don't see why he can't do significantly better than that this year and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't.

Other than that, your assessment of the striking options is bang on. Hopefully we'll flog at least one of Smith and Ameobi (still think we will tbh) and bring in someone much better.

Guest Howaythetoon

When talking about needing quality, have people taken into consideration the wage bill? We pay out more in wages than any other club outside of the top 4 despite a diminished turnover and prospects of an increase unlikely due to the monopoly of the top 4 which makes it hard for us to sign an extra quality striker for example, having 3 already on the books that earn millions a year each. To add another on a big long-term contract isn't exactly financially sound at the moment because the revenue to do so just isn't there. I think the club's policy going into the close-season was to shift a few big earners that weren't giving us a return, like Viduka, Smith, Barton, Duff etc. but due to injury, spells in jail, clubs unwilling to match their wages and a thin squad meaning we also need to balance selling someone by having someone lined up to replace them (EG Faye replaced by Collocini), peddling such players have proved tough and hard to juggle which has impaced our transfer plans, I think anyway. This could also be why the club have taken their time with Owen's contract and maybe why they won't review Milner's - until said big earners not giving us a return are peddled.

1. No I haven't, stop being so negative people and nit picky is my message, that and to wait and see.

2. We are not alone in this and while it isn't ideal, I'm sure we're doing and have done our best to rectify this. Anyone can go and bring in lots of players and spend lots of money but the only real way to improve the quality of the first-team is to buy players to displace those already in it. We've signed 3 such players thus far which has strengthened that first-team and indeed the squad, but of course we need more, but these players are hard to buy, look around you, quality just isn't readily available, seemingly even to those with money to spend.

3. Man Utd couldn't sustain a title challenge if they were hit with injuries and suspensions, like Arsenal couldn't last season. Again we are not alone in this. If our aim was to finish in the top 4 then I'd be worried, our aim should be top 8 and we should have enough. Everton and Villa with one of the smallest squads finished in the top 6 last season.

4. Didums. I WANT I WANT I WANT. Define quality btw because I guarantee Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie were not considered quality buys at first. I'd happily settle for another couple just like them.

1. Nit picking a fundamental point in your post, I must have missed you whine at the impatient I WANT I WANT I WANT football fans then. OK whatever

2. Like I said in the post above, I couldn't give a rat's arse what other teams have or have not  done. There are two huge holes in our first team, a creative midfielder and a Striker who can stay fit and who can be relied upon to put up a reasonable standard of performances. Since we don't have a creative midfielder finding someone better shouldn't be too hard, neither is finding a striker we can rely upon, we are not asking for a Drogba, Rooney or Tevez here just a decent standard.

3. We have an appalling record on injuries, our three strikers are not exactly known for there durability. Injuries are much more likely to happen to us because of the players we have. We also have a huge drop off in quality from the first 11 our reserves are gash tbh, there is practically zero competition in the squad, even when everyone is fit. Keep telling yourself that well club xyz didn't strengthen either (which is actually baloney but I can't be bothered to go into that right now) so we'll be fine.

4. Fucking hell grow up a little will you. Is that really the best you can do ? I'm not being impatient, I'm not demanding success. I just want to see more investment in the first team as we could be on the cusp of something great here but failing to act now could very well mean we miss our opportunity again. I'm completely clueless how your point about Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie bears any relevance to my point.

Your comment about ManU shows the desire to remain the best, so why not take your lead from them in terms of the need to keep changing, you can't stand still in this game.

Simple truth is, the only striker we have, who is likely to stay fit and perform for about 25 games, is Martins.

Owen hopefully will, but his history says he won't. Viduka won't. Carroll is a kid. Ameobi is crap. Smith has not been a success.

What is that left ?

As for the "trophy signings", I will tell you that its trophies that I want, and for Newcastle to sign the sort of players who win these trophies. If you want to ridiculously label them as "trophy players" then you have a lot to learn, but I suspect that you are just regurgitating the bollocks cliches that are spouted around by other people who's views change like the wind.

Having supported this club since 1964, and seen a damn sight worse than this, I'm not going to change now. I suspect people like you would be sorely tested if you had even a slight taste of real mediocrity, if you really think you have seen it at this club in the last decade and a half.

Having seen such shite (which it undoubtedly was) I'm surprised you have now turned into a prawn sandwich eating Man U - type supporter demanding we compete with said club without any of their resources or wealth.

Guest Howaythetoon

1. Nit picking a fundamental point in your post, I must have missed you whine at the impatient I WANT I WANT I WANT football fans then. OK whatever

A never satisfied mentality as much as impatience.

2. Like I said in the post above, I couldn't give a rat's arse what other teams have or have not  done. There are two huge holes in our first team, a creative midfielder and a Striker who can stay fit and who can be relied upon to put up a reasonable standard of performances. Since we don't have a creative midfielder finding someone better shouldn't be too hard, neither is finding a striker we can rely upon, we are not asking for a Drogba, Rooney or Tevez here just a decent standard.

It shouldn't be too hard? Where have you been the last few months? Every club has found things hard this window, even sunderland who have signed lots and spent lots. If it were that easy, you'd be working for NUFC, we all would. It isn't and you can't just say, oh we need a creative midfielder, durh, lets go and buy one then. Who, from where, and how much? See my post about our wage bill btw. And define a creative midfielder. Again with these specific players.

3. We have an appalling record on injuries, our three strikers are not exactly known for there durability. Injuries are much more likely to happen to us because of the players we have. We also have a huge drop off in quality from the first 11 our reserves are gash tbh, there is practically zero competition in the squad, even when everyone is fit. Keep telling yourself that well club xyz didn't strengthen either (which is actually baloney but I can't be bothered to go into that right now) so we'll be fine.

Again, see my post about the wage bill. And as for other clubs, no it isn't. Take Santa Cruz away from Blackburn and who do they bring on in place? What about Carew? What about Arsenal with Adebayor? What about Man Utd without Rooney or Tevez? Most clubs don't have 3 quality strikers to choose from, we do. Them being injured or injury prone doesn't make things as black and white as you make them out to be. So we sign a quality striker, who tend to cost a lot of money and command big wages, where in our turnover does it say we can afford to do that? We can't unless one of Owen, Martins or Viduka leave, which if happened, means we'd still need someone. Can't you see the dilemma, the problems the club faces, the difficulty in addressing such problems never mind fixing them?

4. f***ing hell grow up a little will you. Is that really the best you can do ? I'm not being impatient, I'm not demanding success. I just want to see more investment in the first team as we could be on the cusp of something great here but failing to act now could very well mean we miss our opportunity again. I'm completely clueless how your point about Bassong, Jonas and Guthrie bears any relevance to my point.

I want to see more investment but it isn't as easy as writing cheques. We've signed 4 quality players (degrees vary) based on the club's desired criteria (whatever that is), by all accounts we've tried and tried to sign more such players and for all we know, could be on the verge of a breakthrough or two. Lets wait and see and lets not be so hasty in writing our chances off. By define quality, I'm asking you who, where from, and how much. You are quick to say the obvious but you seem unable to provide any answers which to be fair, isn't your job but if you're going to be so tough on the club then at least fucking have some kind of solution.

Me, I think loans and short-term deals are the best way forward for us if we don't quite have the finances or pulliong power to attract the kind of players we want. And I'm not talking about Sibierski kind of deals or Rossi kind of loans, but another Guthrie and Bassong, a chance on a Saviola or even an unknown striker. I'm not bothered to be honest, so long as whoever comes in has good attributes KK and the squad/team can use, someone who can come here and play a part, big or small, rather than another Duff or Smith on big wages, long contracts, cost money, and offer fuck all.

What is that left ?

Having seen such shite (which it undoubtedly was) I'm surprised you have now turned into a prawn sandwich eating Man U - type supporter demanding we compete with said club without any of their resources or wealth.

I always knew that NUFC were one of the biggest clubs in the country. I recognised from an early age that McKeag, Westwood etc were the biggest bunch of arseholes going. Lord Westwood actually said once that if Brian Clough became manager of Newcastle he would resign from the board. And the other tit said - as proudly as he could - that the new Milburn stand was "like Watfords", having been financed largely with the money from selling Peter Beardsley.

The difference back then was that it was 100 times more frustrating. And seriously, football was also a different beast to nowadays. I'm sure you've been told that standing in those stadiums etc was a completely different experience to now. One thing about being an NUFC fan was that you knew you were being let down but just grew to accept complete failure throught gritted teeth.

One or two people on here won't acknowledge this. Whatever.

if u do then f***ing support chelsea or someone that can applease you and your desired trophy signings that you crave for

What is that left ?

Having seen such s**** (which it undoubtedly was) I'm surprised you have now turned into a prawn sandwich eating Man U - type supporter demanding we compete with said club without any of their resources or wealth.

Tron, I'm not as old of NE5, thank god  , however I have experienced what he's going on about. Honestly in the 80's it was awful, I remember being somewhat relieved when we yoyoed down to the old Div 2, because at least we would win more games than loose. We were awful and we were run by the most incompetent, unambitious group of old men you could think of. They were kind of like the committee at a social club. It was horrible and when SJH and KK came in and swept the old regime away, it was amazing. The fact the we accepted the s*** we got from the previous regime for so very long, I think made some supporters more resolved to not  let it happened again.

What is that left ?

I always knew that NUFC were one of the biggest clubs in the country. I recognised from an early age that McKeag, Westwood etc were the biggest bunch of arseholes going. Lord Westwood actually said once that if Brian Clough became manager of Newcastle he would resign from the board. And the other tit said - as proudly as he could - that the new Milburn stand was "like Watfords", having been financed largely with the money from selling Peter Beardsley.

The difference back then was that it was 100 times more frustrating. And seriously, football was also a different beast to nowadays. I'm sure you've been told that standing in those stadiums etc was a completely different experience to now. One thing about being an NUFC fan was that you knew you were being let down but just grew to accept complete failure throught gritted teeth.

That's all well and good but doesn't answer the question: how are we meant to compete with the likes of Man U and Chelsea for big name signings without their revenue streams, international status etc? Without regular CL revenue how do we pay for these trophy signings?

Guest sicko2ndbest

The fact we sold our most creative midfielder EMRE and we were a team that last season struggled to score goals, speaks volumes about where we needed to strengthen.

The fact we sold our most creative midfielder EMRE and we were a team that last season struggled to score goals, speaks volumes about where we needed to strengthen.

Emre gave nothing to the team in about 36 of every 38 games.

Quit whining.

if u do then f***ing support chelsea or someone that can applease you and your desired trophy signings that you crave for

What is that left ?

Having seen such s**** (which it undoubtedly was) I'm surprised you have now turned into a prawn sandwich eating Man U - type supporter demanding we compete with said club without any of their resources or wealth.

That's all well and good but doesn't answer the question: how are we meant to compete with the likes of Man U and Chelsea for big name signings without their revenue streams, international status etc? Without regular CL revenue how do we pay for these trophy signings?

There is only two ways... put the club back in to £80m of debt or hope that Ashley will spend more of his own cash.  Given how much Ashley has spent so far, especially with clearing the debt, I can't see this happening.

West Ham seem to be suffering from the silly buys and silly wages syndrome. The fact that Lucas Neil and Craig Bellamy are picking up £70k a week while Curbishley is fighting for his job speaks volumes.

Most creaitve player? what good is he if he isn't playing or can't last 45 mins due to poor fitness or injury.  Letting him go seems like the right decision.

What is that left ?

There is only two ways... put the club back in to £80m of debt or hope that Ashley will spend more of his own cash.  Given how much Ashley has spent so far, especially with clearing the debt, I can't see this happening.

West Ham seem to be suffering from the silly buys and silly wages syndrome. The fact that Lucas Neil and Craig Bellamy are picking up £70k a week while Curbishley is fighting for his job speaks volumes.

Don't forget Ljunberg (sp?)

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think we can Tron without a massive cash injection hence why Ashley seems willing to bring in outside investors and hence KK's frustration post Chelsea, knowing full well the likelyhood of being able to compete with those clubs is not going to happen for the foreseeable future.

Chelsea signed Shevchenko for £30m and he's now been loaned back to AC Milan.

Liverpool have spent £40m on 2 strikers in the last 12 months.

Man Utd despite their riches of talent are after Berbatov for £25m + just to bolster their squad.

How do you compete with that.

You can't and won't unless you can regularly claim a share of that CL pot and even then, it is still difficult as Arsenal have shown.

They are perhaps the best club to model ourselves on and I think this has been Ashley's thinking all along, with KK renowned for an eye for talent and player development our Wenger if you like.

KK can be that man for us, but he will have to change you feel and I genuinly believe he will at least give it a good go to be that kind of manager for us, but he'll need help along the way in terms of cash and being able to splash out on big names and over expend at times, all in the name of speculate to accumulate of course.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

And to think we could of been starting year 2 of Big Sams 5 year plan...

Season 2 objective: Promotion.

Most creaitve player? what good is he if he isn't playing or can't last 45 mins due to poor fitness or injury.  Letting him go seems like the right decision.

We probably made a profit getting Guthrie in and I bet my right arm Guthrie does more for us in his time here than Emre did.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Quit whining.

Agree but not replacing him with a better option defeats the object.

Oh and im not whining

Quit whining.

Agree but not replacing him with a better option defeats the object.

Oh and im not whining

As far as I remember one CM has gone, Emre, and one player has come in, Guthrie. Considering Emre never played, this is actually an extra player in our squad.

What is that left ?

We don't need to spend 80 million though, a modest expenditure of 20 mill or so would probably be enough to fill in the bare minimum 2 holes in the squad. Any money made from the Milner sale should also be reinvested in a adequate replacement. That would put our net spend for the summer at around 25 million, which for a club of our size is not too extravagant