Coventry 2 - 3 Newcastle (CC) - 26/08/08 - post match reaction from page 36

James

Some of Jonas' passing tonght was breathtakingly superb.He,to me, is a Ginola without the prima donna attitude.

Lol, at times i thought he was a bit disinterested tonight, perhaps sulking at having to play.  :lol:

Maybe its becasue he has set such high standards or maybe he was just knackered, he has played loads recently.

Guest Immsy7

I went to the game and felt it was a good performance. If we had at least one of our strikers fit we would have won it in the first 45 minutes let alone the 90 (94!?).

Given 7 - Didn't Have Much to do, can't really be blamed for either goal and made a good save towards the end. 

Beye 7 - Don't know why people are moaning about his performance. Was consistent throughout. Can't really remember him being taken on or being beaten in the air. Could have supported Geremi more when attacking though.

Coloccini 8.5 - Was superb. Not a foot wrong tbh. This game was too easy for him.

Bassong 7.5 - Good start, looks comfortable on the ball but looks like he wants too much time when he has it. Looks a good prospect though but Taylor for Arsenal game.

Enrique 7.5 - Decent. Did well getting up and supporting N'zogbia on the left, but needs to cross the ball when given the oppurtunity, too many times he was just turning around and knocking it back to the centre halves.

Geremi 7 - Had a good first half. Was knackered by the second half. I think the only reason he stayed on the pitch for aslong as he did was due to the fact that he was our only player that could get a half decent ball in the box.

Butt 6.5 - Worked hard. Nothing special.

Guthrie 6.5 - Worked hard. Nothing special.

N'zogbia 7.5 - Looked dangerous whenever he had the ball wide left but seems to be lacking the confidence to take on his man and whip the ball in the box. Too many times he passed it inside or back to Enrique. Hopefully Keegan can do something about this.

Jonas 7 - Showed some signs of what a good player he is but i feel we will see a lot better performances from him.

Milner 9 (Man Of The Match) - Didn't stop running from the start of the game untill the end. Was the only player that really looked like they could take on a defender and the only player willing to shoot from further than 3 yards out. Worked ard down the right, left and centre. Made the first and scored the second. Great performance. Great attitude. Great player. We cannot afford to sell this player!

Subs

Owen 7.5 - One Chance, One Shot, One Goal. We need this man fit.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Just got home from the game - thought we played very well for the majority of the game, showing our class throughout and could have won it more comfortably. In the end it was only made a "game" by a majec=esic finish for their first and sloppy defending for their second.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

BTW our support on the whole tonight was nothing short of a disgrace IMO. A big turn out, yes, but the majority sat on their arses for 120 minutes doing fuck all.

Great game. Easy to get carried away bearing in mind it was against lower league opposition, but enjoyable all the same.

Defensively I thought we looked very sound, a much more physically dominant DM (or midfield) infront of the defence could have earnt us a clean sheet, something despite the two goals we wouldnt have been unworthy of anyway.

Conceeding from set pieces again is a worry.

Given 6 - Not much to do, sharp reactions when called upon, rightly had little blame for the goals.

Beye 6 - Not one of his greatest games, solid for the most part, just a couple of mistakes.

Colo 8 - Class, barely missed a trick all night worked well with the back line and came forward nicely.

Bassong 8 - Mightly impressed with how he coped, looked calm for the most part, had a slip late on but forgivable for the rest of his game.

Enrique 8.5 - WOW, did he put a foot wrong all night, great assist, good coming forward, excellent defending. Lets hope he can take this kind of performance and replicate it every week. Will be tough to leave out against Arsenal given this performance.

Geremi 5.5 - worked hard but became very sloppy at times, right decision to take him off for Owen.

Butt 5.5 - Held the midfield together for the most part, cancelled out his good passes with his bad. Didnt play badly over all.

Guthrie 6.5 - A bit hit and miss at times but had some fantastic passes on him, continues to look like a bargain, if not a player for the future.

N'Zogbia 8 - Great game from the Zogster, back to his best albeit against lesser opposition, a start in midfield regularly will be a shoe in with this kind of performance.

Milner 8.5 - Sell Milner, nay chance. Great game all round and a deserved goal.

Guiterrez 7.5 - Did admirably in the central role, was stiffelled to a point, but showed flashes of brilliance, for me works much better out wide but for his work rate and skills is such an asset to the team wherever he plays.

Keegan 8 - did everything pretty much right. No Alan Smith again.. WOO!

Guest sittingontheball

All things considered, I thought that was very promising. We knocked it about well in spite of having no proper forwards and it only went into extra time due to two slightly flukey ones, a lovely snapshot after some pinball and a great throw and header after the match should have ended. Most of our defending was pretty good.  In the first half at least, we created lots of chances stopped by last ditch blocks, and we pretty much controlled the second until the extended end.

For a first game of the season, Enrique did great and Bassong looked fine.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Was good to see owen get an hour last night as opposed to 30mins. Will give him confidence and kk confidence to start him on sat

One thing I will say is, if we play like that on Saturday we've got every chance of winning, because I can't see Arsenal's centre-backs pumping 60-yard straight balls at our centre-halves, or have someone who can take a throw-in like that in the way Coventry scored their two goals.

One thing I will say is, if we play like that on Saturday we've got every chance of winning, because I can't see Arsenal's centre-backs pumping 60-yard straight balls at our centre-halves, or have someone who can take a throw-in like that in the way Coventry scored their two goals.

Fair point, I'd keep the same team apart from Taylor for Bassong and that's what he'll do I think, not expecting us to do much with the injuries and considering we'll be tired after extra time.

Just seen a moment in the re-run there which typifies Owen. Given *wrongly* offside, wags his finger to the linesman saying he was wrong, out of the corner of his eye he sees the ball and it's almost as if his instinct made him initially go for it, until he realised it was just the 'keeper putting the ball down to take the free-kick. :lol:

Just about managed to watch the game altho a certain amount of hanging off a balcony fighting with a satellite dish was involved! :yikes:

Given 7 - Really was a spectator for much of the match, could not fault him for the 1st goal as it was an excellent strike by Morrison, the 2nd perhaps he should have come out to claim. Did make a great diving save to his left late on though.

Beye 6 - Not his finest game in a black and white shirt, but still streets ahead of our previous incumbents in that position. Was good getting forward in support but was let down by some lapses in concentration late on. Early doors though so people shouldn't be to worried, class is permanent.

Coloccini 8 - A class above any defender we've had in a long time. Inspired confidence when on the ball and made everything look easy. One defining moment was him racing back late on in extra time, still had the legs to keep up with the Coventry subs.

Bassong 7 - Still a bit early to have an opinion, but on the back of this game he should be a genuine find. Did not look flustered with the ball at his feet and was happy to take the ball in his own box and pass it out. Could be a genuine gem by the end of the season if KK bloods him slowly.

Enrique 8 - Looked very good going forwards, a typical KK defender in that respect. Defended well for the most part, although the occasional lapse in concentration could be more damaging against better teams, although this should improve with match time.

Geremi 6 - The victim of a few bad offside decisions. Nothing special but nothing bad, did his job and is still one of our best crossers of the ball.

Butt 6 - Experience made up for the lack of legs late on. He's still a valuable player to have around having pretty much won everything he could possibly win, but his passing and movement are starting to wane.

Guthrie 7 - A complete bundle of energy, and very direct. Always after the ball but made a few bad decisions when picking his pass, but this will come as he settles into the team. A promising start though.

N'zogbia 8 - Immense going forward and badly wasted at LB. Showed alot of the talent that we saw a few years ago -- that Blackburn game in particular. Has to start on the left wing against Arsenal as his pace and control are genuinely a threat to opposition defenders.

Jonas 7 - Not up to the heights of his previous 2 games, but still a handful for any opponent. Left defenders trailing in his wake on several occasions and was always tracking back to good effect. More of the same please!!

Milner 9 - Easily the best toon player on show last night in my opinion. I know he's a player who's always going to inspire debate, but his willingness to run and do things for the team finally looked like it was being allied with the skill we all know he has. Not the fastest of players but he always took on his man, and that one move where he put the ball to the outside of the defender and cut past him on the inside was breathtaking. Simply can not sell this kid.

Subs

Owen 8 - Looked sharp for someone who's' played 40 minutes of football this season. Looked a menace in the box and his ability to get into the right place at the right time is a skill that costs ALOT to replace. Give this man his new contract!

All in all, a very entertaining game, we really SHOULD have been out of sight before half time and if we'd actually had a recognized striker on the pitch during that spell when we we're peppering the goal with shots and crosses we would have been. Owen must have been wishing he was in the mixer at that point as it would have been raining goals (probably :pow: )

Bring on Arsenal, can not recall being quite so up-beat about our chances since Robert nearly went on a one man crusade against them.. then got sent off. :knuppel2:

How the fuck did Sky Sports put Milner's goal down as an own goal by the way?  At first they didn't even know who to credit the 'own goal' to and just put it down as "Coventry (og) 38"

At one point one of the commentators said "But again Coventry come up against the immovable force of Coloccini"  I wonder what happens when an immovable force comes up against an unstoppable object.  Not much I imagine.

And speaking on playing in an advanced role with United crippled by a striker crisis, Gutierrez added: “The striker role is different for me.

“But I want to play and will play in any position.

“My manager wanted me to play there so, of course, I agreed.

“If it means doing a job for the team I am more than happy to do so.”

He's still got a lot to learn about English football.  The correct response is to tell the manager to fuck right off, throw your boots against the wall, demand to play in your preferred position and then pretend you're injured.

My ratings

Given - not much to do, not much he could have done with either goal

Beye - unspectacular

Colo - Steady and assured

Bassong - steady and assured

Enrique - Proved we do have a left back in the squad

Butt - Time has come to phase the guy out

Guthrie - Tidy, can and will get better

Zog - Proved he is not the left back in the squad

Jonas - Played with heart and a brain

Milner- Played like he wants away  :pow:

Ron - Steady