James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

The NUFC.com article about all this sums it up - whatever the rights & wrongs of wanting a new deal, it is stupid business if the club risks losing a player who has given no trouble at all and has to sign an unknown quantity that might turn out to be similar to Dyer, Barton, Bramble etc..

If Milner was after 100,000 a week or similar, then I would be totally on the club's side, but he clearly only wants parity with Taylor, and after some of Taylor's mistakes over the Bolton game(and previously)can anyone say Milner is worth less to the side than him? Absolutely NOT.

The club messed Milner about by sending him on loan, then cancelled a transfer to Villa on deadline day 2 years ago ; he responded by coming back and still doing his best, even if he still has some faults in his game, so who has been more professional, the club or Milner..?

Its not as if the club is crammed with highly-professional individuals - if it had been, there might have been some silverware on the table over the past 10 years - and it can ill-afford to lose a player with his best years in front of him who DOES have those qualities..

Brian Clough used to take John McGovern to every club he managed, and not many people could see why, but Clough knew the guy would give 100% in every game and by doing so, set an example to those around him - he was once asked by Doug Weatherall of the Mail why he DID keep buying McGovern when none of the press guys could see any outstanding talent ; Clough's reply was 'that's because I'm a manager, and you lot are journalists, Doug !'

Maybe KK sees something similar in Milner, and Milner is certainly a more skilled player than McGovern was, even though the latter went on to play for Scotland.

This whole episode casts doubt of the running of the club - when KK was a player at Liverpool, Shanks always knew when he was getting twitchy about money(KK never had any doubts about his self-worth !!)

and he would give KK a rise BEFORE Keegan got on to him about it - that way, he avoided having to negotiate a BIG rise because he took the wind out of KK's sails first. It seems to me that some forward thinking is also required at NUFC.

Spot On

I love how the press and some people on here just completely dismiss out of hand the shocking possibility that KK wants to keep him, the club want to keep him, but er, he just wants to leave.

Can't believe some people think we should just have given him a new contract simply because he wanted one. Whatever happened to earning it? When he came back from Villa, he had a really good season and got a new deal out of it... he's just had a woeful season and we should give him another new deal on more pay? Howay.

His season at VIlla was the best of his career. He's not shown anything to me either that suggests he's so outstanding that he could hold the club to ransom.

I think NUFC quite simply have to sell to buy.

Why on earth should we renew a contract that was signed a year ago and still has three years left on it? He hasn´t become a bit better since the last year and if he thinks he´s contract is so bad then he can either give it to me, or why did he sign it back then?

This is what makes me so sick of football. Why can´t we get a salary cap? No player is allowed to earn more than £x/week. Nowadays no one seems to care about their clubs or even their football career. All they care about is to earn more and more money. But the scary part is that how "little" they even earn they still doesn´t need to work again - ever. Still they want more money.

If the reason for Milners depart is money, then let him go. It is just sad that everything a player care about is money. They don´t even think for there own good. How money times hasen´t we seen this kind of thing? When players follow the money and most of the time everything just end in tears?

Poor poor Milner.

Of course this is not good if Keegan wants to keep him. But what should we do? Give all the players the kind of money they want? Beside, the idea to renew a contract every year is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Keep on going Ashley! (Should still be a quite good idea to buy a few more players)

Can't believe some people think we should just have given him a new contract simply because he wanted one. Whatever happened to earning it? When he came back from Villa, he had a really good season and got a new deal out of it... he's just had a woeful season and we should give him another new deal on more pay? Howay.

exactly my point.

edit: sorry about that :colo:

If he goes don't be surprised if KK follows him out the door. 

Righto. The club revolves around James Milner.

I've heard it all now.

I do wonder if KK's motivation for remaining at SJP is his poor personal financial status. He has never struck me as one to take any shit from above and I wonder if Ashley has gone anywhere near delivering what he must have promised in bringing KK back. (A decision I still think of as being a backward step)

NUFC.COM - Quoting Keegan on a few things I noted this little comment as he is starting to appear to prepare the fans for the fact that no-one is coming into the club this week!!

On transfers:

“My optimism gets less the nearer that you get to the deadline. I’m still hoping that we’ll get a couple in, but if we don’t we’ll just have to soldier on.

“I haven’t got enough players. I have lost five forwards and I’ve not got any people to come in. We had two teenagers on the bench tonight. I suppose that if we don’t get any new players, I’ll just have to wait for all of those strikers to come back.

Not really what anyone wants to hear the day after the "big meeting" with the directors.  If this is the case and no-one is lined up to join us then it is even more important that Milner doesn't leave the club.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter, I just think the club have not behaved very well again.  Why have they gone public with this at this time?  Milner's people kept quiet as requested.  Did NUFC contact them to warn they were going public - unlikely I would have thought.  Surely they should have at least bought time and said to wait until the transfer window closes as they are pre-occupied with other matters and to say if it was not resolved, he could move in January.

If we are to get £10m for him, other clubs will be asking £10m for anyone we want to buy.  Maybe they want to start a bidding war, but unless they have players ready to come in, I just don't see where they are going to get a replacement from in time bearing in mind, how long it has taking for us to recruit players thus far.

Whether we like the players or not, they are one of the most important elements in a successful club.  They need to be treated well and with respect.  For all the good work that KK is doing with the players on the training ground, this is being undermined by the management.  If KK is telling the player how highly he rates them and he recommends that a contract is improved and then the management tosses the request aside with seemingly little consideration. it will become obvious to the players that KK has no clout within the club whatsoever.  It must be galling for the other players to see someone like Barton being rewarded so handsomely for very little return on the pitch and a lot of negative publicity (no doubt the fact he is still here is purely a financial decision).  They appear to be treating the players as merely commodities to be bought and sold but each player is a unique case.  If you are building a team for the future, you should be looking after the younger players and contracts should reflect their progress instead of trying to make them look like the bad guy.  If Milner does end up staying then I am sure there will now be resentment (even more than usual) towards Milner because it is known that he handed in a transfer request and that could easily have been avoided.

It is all well and good saying they earn so much money that they should never ask for an improved contract but in our own work environments, when you know you are doing a much better job than others and they are getting paid more, it does cause resentment.

It seems as if it is the club's policy that once a contract is signed, that is it until it is up for renewal but if you look at other clubs, they regularly revise the contracts of their players' as they improve and make names for themselves which is for the club's benefit as well as the player

Let's not forget that the current regime at NUFC, bought Smith, Viduka and Barton and gave them those lucrative contracts  It seems as if they are making others pay for their mistakes.

I am not sure what Wise's role is in all this other than he has been mentioned as the person who rebuffed requests for contract talks but I would have thought that as a former player, he would have some empathy with the player's point of view.

When we are so desperate for players, it would appear to be foolhardy to lose such a versatile and hardworking player as Milner.  All I can say is that the club do not have a better player coming in, I am sure this will come back to haunt them.

NUFC.COM - Quoting Keegan on a few things I noted this little comment as he is starting to appear to prepare the fans for the fact that no-one is coming into the club this week!!

On transfers:

My optimism gets less the nearer that you get to the deadline. Im still hoping that well get a couple in, but if we dont well just have to soldier on.

I havent got enough players. I have lost five forwards and Ive not got any people to come in. We had two teenagers on the bench tonight. I suppose that if we dont get any new players, Ill just have to wait for all of those strikers to come back.

Not really what anyone wants to hear the day after the "big meeting" with the directors.  If this is the case and no-one is lined up to join us then it is even more important that Milner doesn't leave the club.

Thats from Tuesday, not after the meeting

Guest johnson293

On transfers:

“My optimism gets less the nearer that you get to the deadline. I’m still hoping that we’ll get a couple in, but if we don’t we’ll just have to soldier on.

“I haven’t got enough players. I have lost five forwards and I’ve not got any people to come in. We had two teenagers on the bench tonight. I suppose that if we don’t get any new players, I’ll just have to wait for all of those strikers to come back.

Except those quotes were made by KK after the match on Tuesday night, and before the meeting on wednesday.

These comments haven't just come out after yesterdays 'Showdown' as the papers call it.

On transfers:

That was in the Journal yesterday morning, before this meeting.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter, I just think the club have not behaved very well again.  Why have they gone public with this at this time?  Milner's people kept quiet as requested.  Did NUFC contact them to warn they were going public - unlikely I would have thought.  Surely they should have at least bought time and said to wait until the transfer window closes as they are pre-occupied with other matters and to say if it was not resolved, he could move in January.

If we are to get £10m for him, other clubs will be asking £10m for anyone we want to buy.  Maybe they want to start a bidding war, but unless they have players ready to come in, I just don't see where they are going to get a replacement from in time bearing in mind, how long it has taking for us to recruit players thus far.

Whether we like the players or not, they are one of the most important elements in a successful club.  They need to be treated well and with respect.  For all the good work that KK is doing with the players on the training ground, this is being undermined by the management.  If KK is telling the player how highly he rates them and he recommends that a contract is improved and then the management tosses the request aside with seemingly little consideration. it will become obvious to the players that KK has no clout within the club whatsoever.  It must be galling for the other players to see someone like Barton being rewarded so handsomely for very little return on the pitch and a lot of negative publicity (no doubt the fact he is still here is purely a financial decision).  They appear to be treating the players as merely commodities to be bought and sold but each player is a unique case.  If you are building a team for the future, you should be looking after the younger players and contracts should reflect their progress instead of trying to make them look like the bad guy.  If Milner does end up staying then I am sure there will now be resentment (even more than usual) towards Milner because it is known that he handed in a transfer request and that could easily have been avoided.

It is all well and good saying they earn so much money that they should never ask for an improved contract but in our own work environments, when you know you are doing a much better job than others and they are getting paid more, it does cause resentment.

It seems as if it is the club's policy that once a contract is signed, that is it until it is up for renewal but if you look at other clubs, they regularly revise the contracts of their players' as they improve and make names for themselves which is for the club's benefit as well as the player

Let's not forget that the current regime at NUFC, bought Smith, Viduka and Barton and gave them those lucrative contracts  It seems as if they are making others pay for their mistakes.

I am not sure what Wise's role is in all this other than he has been mentioned as the person who rebuffed requests for contract talks but I would have thought that as a former player, he would have some empathy with the player's point of view.

When we are so desperate for players, it would appear to be foolhardy to lose such a versatile and hardworking player as Milner.  All I can say is that the club do not have a better player coming in, I am sure this will come back to haunt them.

Lots of negative assumptions you're making there. Can only hope you're wrong.

On transfers:

Old news.

Beside. I hate to speculate what´s going on when no-one knows. We don´t know if Ashley isn´t giving Keegan money. If it is Keegan that can´t find or get players. Why then press the doomsday  button?

Wish I could take a break from reading Newcastle forums for a time :frantic:

Re the 'going public' aspect.

How are the club supposed to let other lcubs know that a request has gone in without it being talked about outside of the club? And once it has been communicated it is bound to get out into the public domain.

'Ok James, we accept your request, but we are not going to tell anyone about it and if you or your 'agent' do then you are acting outside the terms of your contract'. I don't think so somehow!

My guess is that the club had been tipped off that a story was going to be running about the transfer request and for once it has been pre-empted with a press release.

Guest guinness_fiend

there's an understanding within the club that contracts will be reviewed every season

Unfortunately, if this "understanding" is not included in his existing contract, the club are right to review the current contract whenever it chooses. 

Re the 'going public' aspect.

How are the club supposed to let other lcubs know that a request has gone in without it being talked about outside of the club? And once it has been communicated it is bound to get out into the public domain.

'Ok James, we accept your request, but we are not going to tell anyone about it and if you or your 'agent' do then you are acting outside the terms of your contract'. I don't think so somehow!

My guess is that the club had been tipped off that a story was going to be running about the transfer request and for once it has been pre-empted with a press release.

there's an FA list of transfer listed players, i'd imagine that'd do

Just another thought on Milner's position at the club now.

Next home game, assuming he is still here, he will be shitting himself over what sort of fans reaction he is going to get following this news breaking.  If it is, as most people seem to think, just a ploy to open talks for better salary (which I am sure goes on all the time!) I think it is important that the fans show that we still want him here and want him to continue with the same level of effort that he has always shown.

I personally would give him a solid and positive welcome onto the field and hope that everyone else does the same.

Next home game, assuming he is still here, he will be shitting himself over what sort of fans reaction he is going to get following this news breaking.  If it is, as most people seem to think, just a ploy to open talks for better salary (which I am sure goes on all the time!) I think it is important that the fans show that we still want him here and want him to continue with the same level of effort that he has always shown.

I personally would give him a solid and positive welcome onto the field and hope that everyone else does the same.

Its a difficult one imo.

No doubt Milner will always give 100% no matter what his situation is, and that attitude should be supported.

But an over the top showing by the crowd could give a powerful message to the players over where we feel the balance of power lies

while i don't agree most fans would keep him there's a very real difference between wanting to leave the club and having a pay dispute with his bosses, this should hopefully be reflected in the way the fans treat him

wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't mind

And a negative reaction could lead to him giving up, sulking and generally being a disruptive influence behind the scenes.

doubtful if alls he's on about is getting an improved contract with us...milner just strikes me as honest, maybe it's 'cause he still looks like a kid

more likely 'cause he uses the PFA to represent him rather than one of these agent cunts

there's an understanding within the club that contracts will be reviewed every season

Unfortunately, if this "understanding" is not included in his existing contract, the club are right to review the current contract whenever it chooses. 

I agree. He has a right to put in a transfer request, but he can't claim the moral high ground here.

Contracts are there to protect the player as well. I wonder how the PFA would react if the club were to say that under this gentleman's agreement they'd like to review his contract and want to pay him less because he's been playing poorly.

I know that it's common in the game for contracts to be reviewed when players hear about others getting an increase, but that's just symptomatic of the power that players can now exert. There's no moral justification for it. A contract is a contract.