James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan needs to accept the Board's position here. We're actually reasonably well off for the wide positions, with Jonas, Zoggy, Duff and Lua Lua coming through. Milner's been good, but not outstanding, and we don't need him badly enough to allow him to force the club's hand.

With the strikers, similarly KK can't expect the Board to shell out big money just to cover for injuries, none of which are long-term. The thinking of the Board has to be long-term, and strategic, not reactive to short-term considerations.

None of those are as good as Milner on the right wing.

Ashley is a fucking idiot, and he's apparently populated his Board with fucking idiots.

Keegan woudl be well off out of this shambles.

Big club?? Don't make me fucking laugh. We're going to struggle to remain an avergae sized club with these arseholes.

Milner fanboy.

Keegan needs to accept the Board's position here. We're actually reasonably well off for the wide positions, with Jonas, Zoggy, Duff and Lua Lua coming through. Milner's been good, but not outstanding, and we don't need him badly enough to allow him to force the club's hand.

With the strikers, similarly KK can't expect the Board to shell out big money just to cover for injuries, none of which are long-term. The thinking of the Board has to be long-term, and strategic, not reactive to short-term considerations.

Ashley is a f***ing idiot, and he's apparently populated his Board with f***ing idiots.

Big club?? Don't make me f***ing laugh. We're going to struggle to remain an avergae sized club with these arseholes.

I just can't wait to see where things stand come Tuesday morning, with both the number of players we have in and their quality.

I feel then that some of the drama queens on here will feel really silly then.

Guest neesy111

Ashley is a f***ing idiot, and he's apparently populated his Board with f***ing idiots.

Big club?? Don't make me f***ing laugh. We're going to struggle to remain an avergae sized club with these arseholes.

I just can't wait to see where things stand come Tuesday morning, with both the number of players we have in and their quality.

so you expecting players in then, Kaka

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure...

We're idiots because we're not prepared to increase James Milners wages every time he asks? :lol:..  Fuck the little prick, he signed a contract 12 months ago which already gave him a raise, now he wants another one.. take the money and run.

Ashley is a fucking idiot, and he's apparently populated his Board with fucking idiots.

Big club?? Don't make me fucking laugh. We're going to struggle to remain an avergae sized club with these arseholes.

Keegan wouldn't be in a job if it wasn't for these "arseholes" so I don't think he'll be running back to his soccer circus just yet.

Guest neesy111

We're idiots because we're not prepared to increase James Milners wages every time he asks? :lol:..  Fuck the little prick, he signed a contract 12 months ago which already gave him a raise, now he wants another one.. take the money and run.

My Sentiments Exactly

a lot of two faced people on here, damned if we don't or damned if they do

Can I point out that MILNER HANDED IN A FUCKING TRANSFER REQUEST!!! If he wants to go how is it Ashley's fault? How do we know that Milner isn't asking for a ridiculous rise? How do we know MO'N hasn't been in his ear telling him how much he could get at Villa?

Personally I don't think we should be shelling out a new deal for a player who only signed one 12 months ago and is demanding a pay rise on the back of a years worth poor performances. He's got three years left on his deal and if that means we can get £10 million for a player who is all effort, no ability then i'm right behind the idea.

I wouldn't call that reason, but here we go:

Yes, Milner signed a new contract 12 months ago. Did you read the fact that this was 12 months after it was promised to him? And that such a promise was to only give him parity with what Villa offered him, an offer we summarily pulled from under his hand as he was about to sign it?

And yes, he might not have signed that contract if he didn't like it. But to me, it looks like the club played hardball for 12 months (breaching an agreement in doing so) and eventually Milner decided being fucked up the ass by a six inch cock was better than being fucked by a foot long shlong.

Cut to August 2008, and by now Milner has seen Taylor get a new contract (and the figure 35k "announced" by the pres), and as brummie has said, his U-21 team-mate Agbonlahor has told him about the three contract extensions he has received in less than two seasons.

And as difficult as it is to create an analogy, just think of your own workplace - if the bloke beside you is doing a similar task, as well or worse but with better renumeration, it's not about money. Cash is the measure of appreiation - especially in the situation of stratospheric salaries. 10k extra per week isn't going to impact on the material quality of his life, but it certainly shows him how much he means to NUFC...

PS Just before I'm outed as a Milner fanboi - I wouldn't pick Milner in the best strength first team, but I would say he is an important part of our first team squad...

Blame the old board then as they were the ones who dicked Milner about on his deal, not Ashley and co.

Agbonlahor is much more important to Villa than Milner is to us because he's a much better player, so i've no idea why you're holding up his contract extensions as an example of why we should bend over and give Milner one. As i've already said he's all effort, no ability. We could buy a player on par with him with half of the £10 million fee being quoted, probably less since slow wingers with no final ball are ten a penny.

The workplace analogy is pointless too, as football has never been like that.  The whole Taylor situation might be galling for him but we're lacking in defenders, we're not really that lacking in wingers. Geremi, N'Zogbia, Jonas and Duff can all play on the wing and arguably offer just as much as Milner. Surely rather than hand in a transfer request he should look to improve his performances for the first team squad above the frankly average level he was performing at last season and prove his worth?

Don't know why people are even mentioning Taylor here, he was at the end of his contract, that's why he got a new one.  Its quite different when a player gets a new contract and then 12 months later, with three years still left one it, he wants a better one..  He's acting like he's a player we can't afford to lose when he's anything but.

so you expecting players in then, Kaka

Definitely.

I think we seriously underestimate the new guy we have in charge. I just think he is going about his business without panicking or getting flustered and ultimately we will get exactly what we need when all is said and done.

I am looking forward to it. Every player brought in so far has been good and I am expecting more of the same. The structure he spent so much time and money putting in place is working and will continue to do so.

I think we are all panicking and to some extent I think even Keegan is, as his role in the negotiation and purchase of incoming transfers probably isn't as big as he is used to. Ultimately I think it will all come together very nicely. I just feel very confident.

I can't actually believe that people are getting so worked up over this. If we can get £8-10m for a player who is nothing more than marginally above-average at premiership level, who often flatters to deceive, and who very rarely actually makes a positive impact on matches - bar the odd wonder strike - it would be a fucking great piece of business in my opinion.

A player like Milner is easy to replace... Of course, if we don't replace him, then people can get a bit more worked up over it.

I honestly think it isn't Milner per se that people are getting worked up about.  It is KK's realtionship with the board (in it's various guises) and how the Milner issue could cause the whole thing to come crashing down at a seriously important time.  It's the same with the new signings and Owen's contract for me.  On there own they don't matter too much.  If we tried for quality and failed (thus having to wait til Jan) it would be a blow, but far from terminal.  If MO leaves on a bosman next year it would be ablow, but we could replace him.  However, these are all issues that KK has seriously pushed for PUBLICALLY and if any one of them doesn't come off he'll look undermined.  The media will have  a field day as a minimum.  Worst case scenario is tyhat he'll feel let down and marginalised and potentially pack in.  Leaving us back at square one  when things had finally started to look up.

Why so serious?

Lets put a smile on that face!!

I honestly think it isn't Milner per se that people are getting worked up about.  It is KK's realtionship with the board (in it's various guises) and how the Milner issue could cause the whole thing to come crashing down at a seriously important time.  It's the same with the new signings and Owen's contract for me.  On there own they don't matter too much.  If we tried for quality and failed (thus having to wait til Jan) it would be a blow, but far from terminal.  If MO leaves on a bosman next year it would be ablow, but we could replace him.  However, these are all issues that KK has seriously pushed for PUBLICALLY and if any one of them doesn't come off he'll look undermined.  The media will have  a field day as a minimum.  Worst case scenario is tyhat he'll feel let down and marginalised and potentially pack in.  Leaving us back at square one  when things had finally started to look up.

Mountain out of a molehill.

KK has been in football long enough to know that if you can't attract players then you can't attract players and it shouldn't effect his relationship with the board. If we fail to sign anyone else it hardly proves KK and MA are at loggerheads and I doubt it would lead to KK fucking off. The Owen thing is something which needs to be sorted out as quickly as possible and I do hold out hope that it will be but again, it's going to be harder than us just offering him a contract. If NEMO wants to go then what can we do? No doubt it wont stop people on here bemoaning the board.

I've made my opinion on the Milner issue clear - snap Villa's fucking hands off.

Icke.  I agree with all of that.  I was just saying what people's fears are.  And you've got to admit the recent KK quotes re- Owen were pretty strongly worded.  He's a double edged sword in my opinion.  A great and emotive motivator who inspires people.  But he also reacts badly (and emotionally) when things don't go his way.  Hence the occasional rants (which sometimes allow him to get his own way).  It was reportedly the same in his first tenure when he was siad to have offered his resignation x number of times.  I reckon he's the same now, but in these days of internet discussion and huge media coverage we are just hearing about the conflagrations as they happen.

I can't actually believe that people are getting so worked up over this. If we can get £8-10m for a player who is nothing more than marginally above-average at premiership level, who often flatters to deceive, and who very rarely actually makes a positive impact on matches - bar the odd wonder strike - it would be a f***ing great piece of business in my opinion.

A player like Milner is easy to replace... Of course, if we don't replace him, then people can get a bit more worked up over it.

Amen

open message to james milner.......

how's this plan. if you play consistently well for a season we'll give you a contract reflecting that. on the other hand will you agree to a pay cut should you not play consistently well ?

open message to james milner.......

how's this plan. if you play consistently well for a season we'll give you a contract reflecting that. on the other hand will you agree to a pay cut should you not play consistently well ?

There's no way he's going to agree to what would be a certain pay cut :)

Blame the old board then as they were the ones who dicked Milner about on his deal, not Ashley and co.

Agbonlahor is much more important to Villa than Milner is to us because he's a much better player, so i've no idea why you're holding up his contract extensions as an example of why we should bend over and give Milner one. As i've already said he's all effort, no ability. We could buy a player on par with him with half of the £10 million fee being quoted, probably less since slow wingers with no final ball are ten a penny.

The workplace analogy is pointless too, as football has never been like that.  The whole Taylor situation might be galling for him but we're lacking in defenders, we're not really that lacking in wingers. Geremi, N'Zogbia, Jonas and Duff can all play on the wing and arguably offer just as much as Milner. Surely rather than hand in a transfer request he should look to improve his performances for the first team squad above the frankly average level he was performing at last season and prove his worth?

There's blame o go around in this affair - but from the player's perspective he doesn't play for Shepherd or Ashley, he's contracted to the club. And yes, after being shafted by Freddy he may well have hoped that Ashley would be more accomodating...

Kaka makes a very good point - Mike Ashley's method of doing business is unique in football. He can be hard-nosed and bloody-minded, which has its positives. But it can also have its negatives - and I think when coupled with a footballing naivety that sometimes borders on child-like then we're in for a rollercoaster ride! Also, I'm pretty sure I agreed with what Kaka said much earlier in this thread, suggesting Ashley wouldn't let us get bent over on Milner's fee ;)

I guess you and I rate what Milner offers to the club differently, but we can both agree that if Milner is sold and replaced with a player of equal or greater ability with no loss to the bottom line, then there can be no complaints.

*Outrageous "joke" alert* Unless Milner goes on to win 50 caps :p

we should only sell once we have the replacement

does everyone agree with that?

Absolutely. Should. Yes.

Does everyone agree that if Milner is sold and not replaced then we as fans have every right to feel dudded?

we should only sell once we have the replacement

does everyone agree with that?

Absolutely. Should. Yes.

Does everyone agree that if Milner is sold and not replaced then we as fans have every right to feel dudded?

No because the right player might not be available. If it was that easy to sign quality we would have been doing it all summer.