James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GK

L. Young CB CB LB

Milner MF Barry A. Young

Heskey Agbonlahor

Good to see Luke Young in there, he has been brilliant this season, and consistently so.

Surprised no shout for Curtis Davies, mind.

I've said all season that I'd like to see Young given a call up. Best right back we have at the minute by quite a bit.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Championship player tbh.

Goal yesterday looked good but in reality it was a deflected effort

He is an average premiership player looking good in a good 'team of the moment' team

Championship player tbh.

He is an average premiership player looking good in a good 'team of the moment' team

As opposed to our bunch of average players looking poor in a poor team.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Championship player tbh.

As opposed to our bunch of average players looking poor in a poor team.

Dont disagree with that!

Championship player tbh.

He will unfortunately piss all over our entire midfield at the end of the season in regards to goals and assists.

I never claimed he was anything more than a good young player, I am sure some people will be near bursting point at the end of the season from the amount of humble pie they will have consumed ;) (thats not aimed at you btw).

Championship player tbh.

He will unfortunately piss all over our entire midfield at the end of the season in regards to goals and assists.

Just for the record, Duff has scored more than Milner in the league this season, and Ameobi has only one assist fewer than Milner & Ronaldo.

Championship player tbh.

I never claimed he was anything more than a good young player, I am sure some people will be near bursting point at the end of the season from the amount of humble pie they will have consumed ;) (thats not aimed at you btw).

I doubt it. The number of goals he's scored which are mis-hits or flukes is unreal. Milner always had ability but I still don't think he's going to make the most of it, much the same way Jenas hasn't. If he does good luck to him, he never produced enough at Newcastle regardless of what he does at Villa.

Championship player tbh.

I doubt it. The number of goals he's scored which are mis-hits or flukes is unreal. Milner always had ability but I still don't think he's going to make the most of it, much the same way Jenas hasn't. If he does good luck to him, he never produced enough at Newcastle regardless of what he does at Villa.

good comparison tbh

Guest toonlass

Championship player tbh.

Just for the record, Duff has scored more than Milner in the league this season, and Ameobi has only one assist fewer than Milner & Ronaldo.

Is that right? Bloody hell!

Assists don't really mean that much, you only get credited with an assist if you make the final ball.  So when people critisize Jonas for not making many assists its a bit stupid as he is definitley involved in a lot of goals and gets the team moving forward if nothing else.  Last season Ronaldo didn't have many assists, at least not compared to the amount of goals he was involved in.

Assists don't really mean that much, you only get credited with an assist if you make the final ball.  So when people critisize Jonas for not making many assists its a bit stupid as he is definitley involved in a lot of goals and gets the team moving forward if nothing else.  Last season Ronaldo didn't have many assists, at least not compared to the amount of goals he was involved in.

Thats because he scored most of them, the season before he had loads of assists but didn't score than many.

Guest Heneage

He's getting praise from the mainstream media now he's in the Villa team. I do always laugh when a player leaves us and within weeks or months is seen as a totally new quality player.

He was our best player under Roeder, with 11 assists and 4 goals.

Some of Milner's faults were always coachable, like his crossing for example.

Milner was always going to have limited usefulness for us with such a lack of pace. And that can't be coached...

He had a good shot on him and a decent cross to be fair... i've no idea why he fluffed so many tbh, when he managed to pick out some absolute pearlers every now and again. (see Luque vs Palermo, Sibierski vs Celta off the top of my head).

Milner's poor crossing probably had a lot to do with immobile and small strikers being marked by bigger defenders, and the poor mobility of the strikers had a lot to do with the overall mobility of the team, with no midfielder pushing forward. And of course, he never had the same understanding with Michael Owen that Geremi has; i.e., he seems to try to cross to players instead of a yard or two in front of them (a bad idea when crossing to Owen, who's small but has superb anticipation).

He was our best player under Roeder, with 11 assists and 4 goals.

Something people seem to forget/ignore.

Milner's poor crossing probably had a lot to do with immobile and small strikers being marked by bigger defenders, and the poor mobility of the strikers had a lot to do with the overall mobility of the team, with no midfielder pushing forward. And of course, he never had the same understanding with Michael Owen that Geremi has; i.e., he seems to try to cross to players instead of a yard or two in front of them (a bad idea when crossing to Owen, who's small but has superb anticipation).

His crossing was inconsistant as Yorkie has said above but as you say it wasn't that often he had anything to aim for. Most of the times it would be Martins on his own in the box (sometimes on the edge of the 18 yard) with 4-5 defenders around him. I agree that he shouldn't have been putting crosses in with no-one in there must there wasn't really any attacking threat on its way either.

He will do well at Villa and this will be put down to him playing in a better team but it will be forgotten that a few were claiming him to be a shit player and not fit for this league.

I can't really judge him since he left as I only saw him on MOTD... except against us when he was poor.

I think he's got potential, but I never rated him when he played for us and don't see any reason to change my mind yet. It's easy to look good when you only get seen on highlights.

Playing for Villa will help him though, has he has a lot of pacy, willing players around him that can create space he never had playing in a midfield with Butt/Barton/Geremi.

Some of Milner's faults were always coachable, like his crossing for example.

Milner was always going to have limited usefulness for us with such a lack of pace. And that can't be coached...

He had a good shot on him and a decent cross to be fair... i've no idea why he fluffed so many tbh, when he managed to pick out some absolute pearlers every now and again. (see Luque vs Palermo, Sibierski vs Celta off the top of my head).

Milner's crossing was never decent when he was with us as at all. The odd exception in a shower of shite as you've mentioned above.