Arsenal 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 30/08/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Well I can't say I'm disappointed that that's over! And by that, I mean not only the match but also the terrible commentary on the foreign TV channel. Wankers.

Arsenal were exceptional, we ranged from mediocre to terrible.

Given: 7 Did nothing wrong

Beye: 5 Did nothing

Taylor: 4 Got pulled all over the place

Coloccini: 6 Got pulled over a slightly smaller place

Enrique: 6 OK. Got forward well and passed OK

Jonas: 7 Excellent tracking back, very willing to run forward but seemed to lack the talent to actually beat a man

Butt: 5 Seemed to lack any talent at all. Broke up a few tackles and flukily hit the bar when the ball came off his shoulder

Guthrie: 7 Tidy in the middle. Kept the ball well and good distribution

N'Zogbia: 6 Willing, got forward well but has played better

Owen: 6 Did OK, couple of half chances but really didn't get much service. Hard to blame him for that though

Ameobi: 2 Fuckoff, you're not a footballer.

Bassong: 6 Did little positive or negative. OK at the back but didn't get forward much

Mike Ashley: 10 just for downing that pint.

Given 8 - Would've been 9, but I feel he could've saved the third goal, which could possibly have kept us somewhat in the match after a good start of the second half.

Beye 4.5 - Not impressed at all. Though then again he was facing Nasri. 

Taylor 5 - Did decently enough. Could've done a lot better though.

Coloccini - 6 - An average game. Quite impressed so far in the season though.

Enrique 6 - Looked good the time he played, hope he's not seriously injured.

Jonas 8.5 - My NUFC man of the match. Excellent runs forward and defensive work.

Butt 3 - To me it spelled disaster whenever he was on the ball. One good pass and his crossbar header was the only positives in my book.

Gutherie 5 - Didn't see much of him, though he had some nice involvements.

Zoggy 5 - What the hell have happened to him? What he used to be good at, now he fails at completely. Though, the opposition was Arsenal at the Emirates, so he's somewhat excused for not being able to beat his man constantly.

Ameobi 2 - What the fuck was he doing on the pitch? I mean, really.

Owen 5.5 - If he'd have gotten more balls through to him from the midfield, I think he could've been a major factor in the result being different.

Bassong - 6 Did well and had some good forward runs.

Edgar - N/A

Barton - N/A Though I think he could've done much more than Butt had he gotten to start. The five minutes he got I felt he as at around 6.5 in my scale.

Mike Ashley left? Not from what I can see.

Love reception for Barton.

then you are a mong my son.

Hold on - Are you going to try to defend Barton's recent history?

I'd love to see him perform for us but you can't deny that he deserved the reception he got. It's his responsibility now to get his s*** together.

Arsenal fans can GET F*CKED

'

Are you calling me an Arsenal fan because I'm not fond of a part-time footballer who spends 50% of his contract in a prison, and then refuses to take a wage cut?

Am I the only sane person here?

I agree with you too.

Are people forgetting the shit we gave Bowyer at Leeds.......and Barton is three times the shitbag he is.

Mike Ashley left? Not from what I can see.

Love reception for Barton.

then you are a mong my son.

Hold on - Are you going to try to defend Barton's recent history?

I'd love to see him perform for us but you can't deny that he deserved the reception he got. It's his responsibility now to get his s*** together.

Arsenal fans can GET F*CKED

'

Are you calling me an Arsenal fan because I'm not fond of a part-time footballer who spends 50% of his contract in a prison, and then refuses to take a wage cut?

Am I the only sane person here?

Irony meter shoots through the roof :laugh:

Outclassed today.

Given 8 - Best keeper in the league would have been 6-0 if not for him

Beye 5 - ok not all that good though.

Taylor 4 - Ripped to shreds at times

Colo 6 - decent

Enrique 6 - Was looking good (Bassong 6.5 - Early days but like the look of him so far).

Jonas 7.5 - Our best outfield player by some distance. Great tracking back, and had a real go at them.

Butt 5.5 - A mixture of good and bad moments. Unlucky with his header

Gutherie 5 - Doesn't do enough for me.

Zoggy 5 - runs came to nothing

Ameobi 5 - Tried, but did very little overall.

Owen  5 - Didn't  really happen for him today, no supply.

Taylor was better than Colo by some distance for me. STrong in the air, positionally good and saved what should have been a goal when Colo stepped up to challenge Vela, got turned and it ended up with Walcott 8 yards out hitting it wide at the near post because Taylor's positioning covered half the goal the other side of Shay.

Guthrie's passing is immense, just wish he had players with better end product to give it to.

I think you must have lost your mind.

Coloccini was playing at centre back by himself today. Of course Coloccini stepped up to challenge Vela, he was stepping up to challenge their attackers all game! And he was winning a lot of tackles. That is what you are supposed to do.

If it was left to Taylor he would keep backing off till he ended up in the goal with the ball. That is not how to defend. This is why he seems to be invisible half the time. It is because he never steps up to tackle anyone or try to win the ball or apply pressure. He keeps backing off again and again and so ends up in awful positions where he is way too deep in the box. It's terrible defending by a bad defender.

I can't believe you've just watched that game and can come out saying Taylor played better. It's quite startling.It's amazing to me.

Guest toonlass

We were given a lesson in football today by a way superior side. Craig Burley and Jon Champion are twats. What the fuck have they got against the Toon? Especially Burley, his bile tonight was stomach churning. However 4 points out of 6 after playing Manure, L'Arse and Bolton is far better than I had expected when the fixtures came out.

Given 7 - Made some great saves and kept the score down, but still not his best.

Beye 5 - Looked off colour today.

Taylor 4 - Showed his lack of defensive class today

Colo 6 - Was outclassed by their quality.

Enrique 6 - Wasn't terrible. Not brilliant though either.

Jonas 8 - The other lads in the team need to look to this bloke as their inspiration. Covered every bit of grass, was up and down the pitch, gave 110%.

Butt 5.5 - I cannot even think of what he did other than hit the bar.

Guthrie 5.5 - Lad has work ethic, just needs fine tuning

Zoggy 4 - looks like he hadn't a clue today. What the hell did he stick his arm out for. Poor

Ameobi 3 - Looked tired, definitely not match fit, not in the game

Owen  5 - Should have put his chance away, didn't put in enough graft. Needs more supply.

It had to happen sooner or later, all the hype over a draw at Mna Ure then beating a s**** Bolton was beyond a joke, today will help show Ashley how much he really needs to do if he wants a top flight club.

Todays game maybe came to soon after Coventry and extra time but we looked so disjointed even with a good few first choice players. Keegan can take some blame for not changing it, Shola is so poor would Ranger be any worse? a young kid with energy and eager to please may have just created somehting.

A few shocking things went on, I would like to see the Fabrigas on Beye tackle again, were both feet off the deck? could have been a red by todays standards, also Nasri on Barton off the ball red card aint it?

BUT means nothing really, we were just poor and Arsenal showed their class.

Our biggest + from today was Jonas again, his work rate and energy is superb, we need to change things or we will be lucky to told onto him at the end of the season, any tam int he world would he happy to have him.

Given 8 - Thank god we god not lose him

Beye 6- Taylor did him no favours today

Taylor 4 - Showed again how poor he can he and how stupid

Colo 6 - Not at his best but again Taylor was so weak he did double the work

Enrique 6 - was doing okay / Bassong 7 - I do like this lad, looks decent

Jonas 8 - A real star, superb work ethic, maybe tries to do a bit to much at times but who can blame him with the s**** he is playing with.

Butt 6.- Old legs that won;t carry the heart

Gutherie 5 - Looked out of his depth today.

Zoggy 4 - was poor today looked disinterested again

Ameobi ? - is he really a footballer?

Owen  6 - Worked hard but had nothing to feed off, will he stay? would you?

Outclassed today.

Colo 6 - decent

Enrique 6 - Was looking good (Bassong 6.5 - Early days but like the look of him so far).

Jonas 7.5 - Our best outfield player by some distance. Great tracking back, and had a real go at them.

Taylor was better than Colo by some distance for me. STrong in the air, positionally good and saved what should have been a goal when Colo stepped up to challenge Vela, got turned and it ended up with Walcott 8 yards out hitting it wide at the near post because Taylor's positioning covered half the goal the other side of Shay.

Guthrie's passing is immense, just wish he had players with better end product to give it to.

Coloccini was playing at centre back by himself today. Of course Coloccini stepped up to challenge Vela, he was stepping up to challenge their attackers all game! And he was winning a lot of tackles. That is what you are supposed to do.

If it was left to Taylor he would keep backing off till he ended up in the goal with the ball. That is not how to defend. This is why he seems to be invisible half the time. It is because he never steps up to tackle anyone or try to win the ball or apply pressure. He keeps backing off again and again and so ends up in awful positions where he is way too deep in the box. It's terrible defending by a bad defender.

I can't believe you've just watched that game and can come out saying Taylor played better. It's quite startling.It's amazing to me.

Have to agree. Thought Taylor was subpar. There was a run of play where Adebayor had the ball on the right wing and Taylor just kept backing off and backing off. Jonas came in and actually pressured him for the ball and forced him to make a pass under pressure.

And he's still holding his fucking arms out.

Outclassed today.

Colo 6 - decent

:clap:

Thank god for that.  I got slated earlier for saying I thought Taylor was a liability.

Guest musika

Given 8.5 - The only player on the field wearing a Newcastle Jersey who would have looked in place in the Arsenal side.

Beye 6 - Decent. Was outnumbered on numerous occasions as Arsenal attacked the left wing, but at no fault of his own.

Taylor 5.5 - Started to lose his composure as time went on, and him along with Colo were outclassed by the Arsenal frontline.

Colo 7 - See Taylor, however made some excellent interventions at certain points in the game.

Enrique 6 - Suffered from the same problem as Beye, but made some good attacking runs.

Butt 5 - Had the responsibility to nullify Arsenal's midfield threat and basically watched as a spectator much of the time.

Guthrie 6 - Some decent passing movement, but lacked the support to make anything really happen.

Gutierrez 7 - One of the few Newcastle players that offered any sort of avenue to attack, with some great runs and on the ball control.

N'Zogbia 6.5 - Tried to create and offer some flair, but was shut out most of the time.

Owen 5.5 - Anonymous, but with a partner like Ameobi that's no surprise.

Ameobi -3432432 - Con artist.

Bassong 6 - Barely noticed Enrique had left the pitch.

Barton 10 - Just so that I don't look like an Arsenal fan.

Guest Howaythetoon

At least Taylor closed people down and made some blocks and won some headers in the air. He and Colo were s***, 9 of our 11 were. Who was more s*** or less s*** is like choosing between eating s*** or puke.

Arsenal have just given us a lesson in football which we couldn't cope with, they are the best footbaling team in the league when they want to be and we had no answer to them.  Our central midfield were run ragged and offered nothing either going forwards or defending the middle of the park.  Shola was utter utter garbage and is so static he might be better off standing on a pedestal in Trafalgar Square.

We had far too many poor performances today but I think getting walked over in midfield flattened anything we may have gone into the game with.  Apart from Given and the two Argies we were just making up the numbers.

Guest Heneage

I think what annoyed me was actually not the game Arsenal played beautiful football, and it was a pleasure to watch, deserved the win, what  annoyed me was the audio I had to endure. The likes of Craig Burley, who never played for us has no friends inside the club, hasnt worked or played with anyone at our club. But is knoweldgable that Owens been offered a year extension and that Owen should leave us, he could do so much better.

In a word, "How?" How does he know that, how does he know that Owen could do better than us. We are 3 games into the season with 3 days left into the transfer window. With 2 strikers, missing we have gained a draw at OT and a win at home to a Ultra-Defensive Bolton our 3rd striker is recovering his fitness, and only completed a full 90 today.

We've bed in 2 lads from a slower league, Guthrie is young and shows potential, Bassong looks a decent acquisition. But no, we are in crisis haven't you heard? We have no backing, we have no players, we are bereft of any ideas, any play, and of any potential players ever wanting to join us, why would they, Jonas will have already packed his bags I bet. I'm just getting a bit sick of every pundit pulling the line and telling us were shite, we've no hope, we're going nowhere. It starts with Lawro, ends with Macca. Jeff Stelling is the only one who sits on the fence with objectivity and for that I will applaud him no end.

Yes i've had a few beers, but part of the whole "Hate Campaign" makes me love my club more, it makes me stronger, makes me want to cheer louder and for longer.

Oh also they have just sat and justified Nasri tripping him "Gamesmanship" Sorry but if roles are reversed they lambast Joey for 90minutes extra, Even Sir Les didnt speak up, Pundits are bought, I could understand if Barton had fouled him, but he hadn't he got the ball.

Positives

Jonas and Coloccini still look to be good buys after four games.

Guthrie and Bassong look decent and will only improve.

Shay looks back to full fitness and his old form.

This is probably the weakest our squad will be this season.

We've got Emirates and Old Trafford out of the way.

Ameobi played 90 minutes, so must be able to pass a medical.

Smith kept out of harms way until he's sold?

2-5 players in before the deadline?

The crowd reaction for Barton was only to be expected, and fair enough. I remember giving Lee Bowyer and Woodgate stick, during their Leeds days (for their involvement in that Asian lad being beaten up) Fans are fickle though - I wonder if any Arsenal fans booed Tony Adams when he got done for drink driving all those years ago? I bet not!

Can't believe the differences in Taylor's and Coloccini's ratings. Thought they were pretty much on par today. I thought Coloccini's challenge early on in the box could have easily been a penalty. Lunged in inside the box and didnt get to the ball. And he made some weird runs forward when the ball was still in dangerous position just outiside our box.

As already said Taylor's running towards our own goal was ridiculous. Thought he was gonna run all the way to Given on one occasion. Then concedes the freekick just outside the box :nope:

I know we all want Coloccini to be brilliant but come on! They were both quite shit today but it's Arsenal so I wouldn't worry about it...

Poor showing today but Arsenal were absolutely superb.

Someone should take a sledgehammer to Ameobi's hip because he's a much worse player since that operation. I thought Michael Owen showed again today why he doesn't work as one of two strikers, especially away from home, he just doesn't have enough to his game in terms of pace or strength to contribute enough but works in that withdrawn role because he's got good control and good passing ability. That 4-3-3 is still where we'll see the best of him imo.

I'm tempted to unban Shithead to ask him what DVD of Jonas he was watching. Superb again in difficult circumstances.

I didn't hear the commentary in the pub but even the camera work from Setanta was disgracefully biased, particularly the quite blatantly pre-recorded footage of Ashley and his pint and the seventeen camera angles of Joey Barton SHAMEFULLY SMILING (Constable! Arrest this man!) after winning the ball was laughable.

Arsenal 3 Newcastle United

Aug 30 2008 By Lee Ryder at the Emirates Stadium

NEWCASTLE United were easily beaten tonight at the Emirates Stadium as Arsenal ran riot in the capital.

Goals from Robin van Persie (2) and Denilson won it for the Gunners on a night when Newcastle just weren't at the races.

To cap off a miserable day for Newcastle Joey Barton was roundly booed by the home fans on his return to the game after a stretch in prison.

Keegan paired Michael Owen in attack with Shola Ameobi with the Academy product back from a hamstring problem sustained in pre-season.

Owen was starting his first match of the campaign and donned the skipper’s armband in front of the watching Fabio Capello.

Jose Enrique kept his place after the Carling Cup win at Coventry with Charles N’Zogbia staying on the left wing.

Jonas Gutierrez started wide right after his stint as a striker at the Ricoh Arena.

And on the bench Keegan named Joey Barton with the controversial midfielder yet to taste any action this season following his stretch in prison.

Newcastle – cheered on by Mike Ashley in the away section - escaped penalty appeals from the home side with just two minutes played when Fabricio Coloccini sent Robin Van Persie tumbling but Rob Styles waved away protests.

Arsenal then missed a golden chance after the Dutchman’s corner was flicked on by Bacary Sagna and found William Gallas at the back stick but the French defender somehow sent it high over the bar right in front of goal.

On six minutes Given was on red alert again when Kolo Toure’s forward run and shot was diverted wide of the post by the Irish keeper.

In the 17 th minute Van Persie’s right footed effort near the edge of the area flashed wide of the post as Newcastle survived.

But Arsenal were handed a penalty moments later.

Emmanuel Adebayor’s left wing cross struck the hand of N’Zogbia and Van Persie blasted it to Given’s left to open the scores even though the Irishman had guessed the right way.

Adebayor was then tripped by Coloccini near the D and after the South American was booked by Styles on 29 minutes Cesc Fabregas could only hit the Toon wall.

Arsenal won another set-piece following Van Persie twisting run on the half hour mark following Beye’s slight challenge on the Dutchman and this time United had to rely on Given to push the ball over the bar.

Nine minutes before the break came Newcastle’s first glimpse of goal after Gutierrez’s right wing cross but even though Owen had time and space at the back post he could only steer it off the heels of strike partner Ameobi with ball squirting wide.

United were made to pay four minutes before the interval as Adebayor slid the ball across to Emmanuel Eboue who had time to backheel the ball into the path of Van Persie who pounced to make it 2-0.

Newcastle made a change before the break with Sebastien Bassong replacing Enrique at left-back after enduring a torrid time first half against Adebayor in and around the left right channel.

United went in for the interval looking for a miracle in the second half with Arsenal in full control at the break.

Five minutes into the second half a Denilson foul on Guthrie handed United a free-kick deep on the right but N’Zogbia’s woeful effort sailed harmlessly into the crowd.

Nevertheless Newcastle enjoyed the best of the possession at the start of the first half and after the Mags had won a corner N’Zogbia’s flag kick found the head of Nicky Butt who crashed an effort off the bar with Arsenal failing to clear their lines on 55 minutes.

Seconds later and N’Zogbia rolled a ball across the final third and Guthrie’s low effort had to be gobbled up by Manuel Almunia for Newcastle’s first shot on target.

But it was 3-0 and game over before the hour mark as Arsenal bagged number three.

Bassong’s half clearance on 59 minutes was intercepted by Nasri who picked out Adebayor before Denilson ghosted in to fire past Given who was rooted to the spot.

On their next attack two minutes later Van Persie’s powerful effort crashed off the frame of the goal with Arsenal quickly getting back on top of the game.

Van Persie then hobbled off with a knock and while Newcastle were glad to see the back of him the damage was done.

Adebayor took over from that point onwards for the Gunners and after waltzing through again Steven Taylor’s bodycheck earned Arsenal a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area.

Nasri curled it towards the top corner but Given bailed United out again with a top class save.

UNITED: Given, Beye (Edgar 89), Coloccini, Taylor, Enrique (Bassong 44), Jonas (Barton 89), Guthrie, Butt, N'Zogbia, Ameobi, Owen.

ARSENAL: Alumunia, Sagna, Fabregas, Toure, Nasri, Gallas, Van Persie (Vela 63), Clichy, Adebayor, Eboue (Walcott 72), Denilson (Song 69)

Ref: Rob Styles

Crowd: 60,067