the transfer window.....for or against ?

madras

Against for the reasons already mentioned.

Having it open for loaning players would be a start. Having the injury nightmares we have had it would be a huge relief to be able to get some cover in.

However, I would miss the last day excitement/dissapointment.

Abolishing it would certainly give the richer clubs a greater chance of pulling away though. I could see Man City and Spurs buying players every week!

I think it's shit. Mostly due to the fact that clubs are always made to take a chance that unless they bring in a stupid amount of players they can be fucked with a bad set of injuries. And as it closes things just get more desperate and prices and wages go up, that maybe in hindsight were bad moves in the first place. See us and also West Ham recently for proof.

Drives the market crackers and fans too. We've all been waiting all week for a signing and still not sure about it. Can see its point like but isnt it a restraint of trade? Freedom of movement of goods and services within the EU and all...not sure.

I think it's shit. Mostly due to the fact that clubs are always made to take a chance that unless they bring in a stupid amount of players they can be fucked with a bad set of injuries. And as it closes things just get more desperate and prices and wages go up, that maybe in hindsight were bad moves in the first place. See us and also West Ham recently for proof.

No one is made to do anything in reality. If you need extra players you have all summer to sign them. If you want to gamble on leaving it till the last minute it's your choice at the end of the day.

No one is made to do anything in reality. If you need extra players you have all summer to sign them. If you want to gamble on leaving it till the last minute it's your choice at the end of the day.

The market dictates otherwise

If it was designed to protect the weaker clubs and close the gap on the stronger ones, then it's failed. I think the main effect is that clubs are forced to have bigger squads, because they know that if they have a freak run of injuries, they can't just go out and buy replacements at any time. The clubs that can keep bigger squads are obviously the wealthier ones.

Against for the reasons already mentioned.

Having it open for loaning players would be a start. Having the injury nightmares we have had it would be a huge relief to be able to get some cover in.

Again though, imagine what it would do to us if one of the big four had an injury crisis going into a Champions League match or crucial run of games or whatever, and how vulnerable we would be to having Owen, Martins, or even Viduka swiped away from us for a few months?

Guest toonlass

Against, I have to stay up until midnight (if not later) to see if we get anyone. A couple of years ago when Sibierski signed I went to the loo and my mate (a lass who knows nowt about football) texted me to say we had signed him. I thought she was joking until I realised that she wouldn't know who Sibierski was!

Can we have him back please?

i'd have to say for, despite our patchy record in it

without it chelski & manyoo would find it even easier over the course of a season and teams with no funds would find it just as hard - these teams might think they have enough players but events can take their course, they shouldn't be able to go and replace a player at the drop of a hat for 20m in october, for example

look at arsenal last season btw - still very much in with a shout of the title (maybe still leading), eduardo hits form then gets cut in half by that brum player, they couldn't just go and buy a replacement there and then and i like that...granted arsenal aren't the best example as wenger probably wouldn't do it anyway but it highlights my point

it levels the playing field in one way, albeit minor, and that really is required

for me it should include management & senior coaching staff also

Totally against - signings mid-season create more interest and prevent the mad scramble that happens now ;

I think it benefits mainly the Top Clubs.

and not having one wouldn't benefit them how?  they could develop an even stronger grip on the league than they do now man, especially chel$ki who'd sign a new player when ballack got a cold or something

Drives the market crackers and fans too. We've all been waiting all week for a signing and still not sure about it. Can see its point like but isnt it a restraint of trade? Freedom of movement of goods and services within the EU and all...not sure.

the players are not goods or services, that's why players require work permits

At least the window concentrates the manic speculation and press nonsense into a shorter period. Once it's over we can actually concentrate on the football.

It should finish before the season starts though, so everyone has their squads sorted before kick off. Problem with that would be the different kick off dates across Europe of course.

Totally against - signings mid-season create more interest and prevent the mad scramble that happens now ;

I think it benefits mainly the Top Clubs.

and not having one wouldn't benefit them how?  they could develop an even stronger grip on the league than they do now man, especially chel$ki who'd sign a new player when ballack got a cold or something

Because all potential targets now KNOW that if they wait until transfer windows, they are in with a chance of going to a top 4 side ; if NUFC was able to approach one of these players in mid-season BEFORE they knew for sure that Man U etc wanted them, they would be tempted to sign for us or any similar club....this is especially likely with clubs who do NOT have a PLC rating as their financial activities have less rigidity than PLC clubs - they don't have to show results/profits at 6 monthly intervals, for example...

If you are younger than 45 you are unlikely to remember how important it was for NUFC to make signings in the season ; Tony Green was one, and he virtually saved the club from relegation - if the window had been operating then, we would have gone down.Terry Mac was another really good signing, and we pinched him from under Liverpool's noses because we had a better scouting network in that area and we acted before they did ; window would have prevented all that..

The window makes it easier for top clubs to tap players who then know they just have to wait until it suits the buying club to get their move ; and these clubs have planned their transfer budget to the windows.