Newcastle Finances £12 million Loss

Guest The Fox

That's trophy signings for you re. wages.  A bit part player like Butt on £40k etc.

Oh dear, I predict another 20 page thread once NE5 and Macbeth get going on this  :(

On the contrary, I predicted this, when discussing it with lots of other people who said that they should continue backing Souness with unlimited funds before judging him with "his own team". Probably the same people who thought Luque and Boumsong were good buys, and Bellamy was a good sale.

We won't mention the amount of money spent replacing Bellamy and Shearer, who still aren't replaced. In fact I will, it is so far 37m quid. THIRTYSEVEN MILLION QUID. Are those people who think we are better off financially and from a playing point of view without Craig Bellamy going to now pretend they didn't say this, and are those who said we should stick to bankrolling Souness going to defend they said that also ? Would we now be better off with Bellamy here, consider we would have a tested and proven top quality player still here and could have saved spending 18m quid on Luque and Martins .......

You should be having a word with those who think we should have bought top quality defenders, as well as attackers in the summer, because there is no opposition to me regarding those figures, as I expected them.

As Sir John Hall correctly said at the weekend, you club has wasted money on players not good enough then has to spend more replacing them, its all poor judgement by the managers. The key to success in football is spending your money well, it always has been and always will be.

£50 million isn't unlimited, but it's a lot closer to it than anyone with more brain in their head than lard would have given him.  Giving Graeme Souness that much money isn't being a good chairman and backing your manager, it's being taken for a complete and utter mug.

On the contrary, I predicted this, when discussing it with lots of other people who said that they should continue backing Souness with unlimited funds before judging him with "his own team". Probably the same people who thought Luque and Boumsong were good buys, and Bellamy was a good sale.

We won't mention the amount of money spent replacing Bellamy and Shearer, who still aren't replaced. In fact I will, it is so far 37m quid. THIRTYSEVEN MILLION QUID. Are those people who think we are better off financially and from a playing point of view without Craig Bellamy going to now pretend they didn't say this, and are those who said we should stick to bankrolling Souness going to defend they said that also ? Would we now be better off with Bellamy here, consider we would have a tested and proven top quality player still here and could have saved spending 18m quid on Luque and Martins .......

You should be having a word with those who think we should have bought top quality defenders, as well as attackers in the summer, because there is no opposition to me regarding those figures, as I expected them.

As Sir John Hall correctly said at the weekend, you club has wasted money on players not good enough then has to spend more replacing them, its all poor judgement by the managers. The key to success in football is spending your money well, it always has been and always will be.

Freddy,

You'll not fool anybody except yourself, we know it wasn't your fault for appointing the managers, it was the managers faults for being crap and asking you to spend money, you're totally innocent.

Freddy,

You'll not fool anybody except yourself, we know it wasn't your fault for appointing the managers, it was the managers faults for being crap and asking you to spend money, you're totally innocent.

bluesleep.gif

Why did Gordon Lee and Arthur Cox leave Newcastle, and why did we sell 3 locally born England players and replace them with has beens and never were players ?

bluesleep.gif

Why did Gordon Lee and Arthur Cox leave Newcastle, and why did we sell 3 locally born England players and replace them with has beens and never were players ?

What has that got to do with our £12 million loss, even you can't blame any of them for that, can you?

Why did we sell Hughie Gallacher?  Ah well.  There you go.

We only got a few thousand for him, we sold ourselves short on that one but we didn't make a £12 million loss for that financial year, I think Shepherd has set a new record with that one.  NE5 will probably turn it around and make it sound positive, the shit old board would have made a £100 million loss if they were still running the club - FACT.

Here's what the Chronicle is reporting:

Link

Euro failure costs UnitedOct 27 2006

By Nick Whitten, The Evening Chronicle

Failure to secure European football last season cost Newcastle United dear - the club today reported a yearly loss of £12m.

Losing out on lucrative TV cash by not playing Uefa Cup football last season saw revenues and profits at St James' Park drop significantly.

The club's preliminary results for the 11 months ending on June 30, 2006, show revenue fell from £87m in the previous full year to £83.1m.

Summer signings during the 2005 transfer window included the £17m record buy of Michael Owen from Real Madrid and the £9m spent on Albert Luque from Deportivo La Coruna.

The club also paid £800,000 to former manager Graeme Souness.

And the figures do not include the £15m spent on Damien Duff and Obafemi Martins this summer.

But when player trading isn't taken into account, the club actually made a small operating profit of £200,000.

The club pointed to positives such as the revival of the stadium as a pop concert venue status, with a 16,000 crowd attending the Bryan Adams concert in June, which generated a profit.

And the club said looking ahead there was reason to be optimistic after qualification for this season's Uefa Cup was secured.

Club chairman Freddy Shepherd said: "This year has been a period of the transition for the club.

"The team performances in the first half of last season fell significantly below our level of expectations.

"However, following the board's decision to make changes at management level, the first team had an excellent run in the second half of the season, finishing a satisfactory seventh place in the Premiership and qualifying for the UEFA Cup through the Intertoto Cup.

"Glenn was appointed full time team manager in May of this year.

"In June, Alan Shearer's retirement marked the end of an era at Newcastle. Alan is and always will be remembered as a true great.

"He is one of the finest Newcastle and England players to have ever graced a football pitch.

"I am delighted Alan has accepted the role of sporting ambassador for United. He has all the qualities to ably represent the club around the world.

"This season has not started as we would have liked, however, there are signs of improvement including our recent qualification into the group stages of the UEFA Cup.

"The board believe the investment it has made in all areas of the club will deliver long term benefits and will continue to take every step necessary to maximise potential for success."

Exactly, we went for a hollywood signing and broke the bank in terms of wages and transfer fees to get him rather than going for someone like Andy Johnstone who would have come into the squad and done a job for half the price. Owen was signed at the start of the season if you remember way before we knew how bad things really were going to get. We needed strikers yes but we were then left with the fact we had no replacement for Shearer cause we had no cash.

Many people predicted it, mate. We had to sign replacements for those discarded due to Souness's lack of managerial ability.

What it comes down to is Shepherd appointing that bloke (Souness)as HTL calls him.

Ok the Chairman would be castigated even more if he did not back his Managers but £17.5 million for Boumsong/Luque should really have been questioned by the Board and turned down. I dont believe that they could not have acquired a central defender and Striker for half that money.

As for Owen if he regains fitness and form he'll be considered a good buy, if not that transaction will be deemed  a costly failure. At least he has quality which Boumsong and Luque have not shown here.

So you're in favour of interference in team affairs by the Board? Not being funny, just want to get it clear because I'd expect never to hear any moaning from you again about any supposed moves by Fred to buy or sell players behind his manager's back.

BTW I call the ex manager "Souness" because that's his name.

So you're in favour of interference in team affairs by the Board? Not being funny, just want to get it clear because I'd expect never to hear any moaning from you again about any supposed moves by Fred to buy or sell players behind his manager's back.

BTW I call the ex manager "Souness" because that's his name.

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

You're in the majority for once.

£50 million isn't unlimited, but it's a lot closer to it than anyone with more brain in their head than lard would have given him.  Giving Graeme Souness that much money isn't being a good chairman and backing your manager, it's being taken for a complete and utter mug.

I'm making a note of the people who believe interference by the Board in team affairs is ok.

Freddy,

Do you really have to come back with childish shite like than in place of actually addressing the point? We all know it was a mistake appointing Souness and it's been said more than once that if Roeder turns out to be another bad appointment the Board should examine their position. 

Your post is basically stupid, Mick.

Do you want the Board to back their manager in the transfer market or not? A straight yes or no will do. If it's yes then why do you hold the Board to blame for the manager spending the money on players who hindsight shows haven't been good enough? If it's no, then fair enough, you have no ambition for the club to succeed. I suspect the answer will be yes, but then how do you guarantee the manager will get it right? No doubt you know how to choose a manager than can't fail. I'm waiting for you to tell me how that is done.

I'm making note of people who think when someone like Souness comes and asks for £8m for Boumsong the correct answer is "Sure, here you go!" rather than "Get to fuck, wait a minute, I should have sacked you months ago and actually I should never have given you the job in the first place".

I guess if Freddy appointed Howard Wilkinson and let him spend obscene amounts of money on shite players and wasters, this would be being an excellent, top notch, manager backing chairman as well.

It's not like I was asking Shepherd to make an exception by meddling in managers business by not thowing money at the Souness problem.  He did it anyway.  he just could have done it right, rather than wrong.

I'm making note of people who think when someone like Souness comes and asks for £8m for Boumsong the correct answer is "Sure, here you go!" rather than "Get to ****, wait a minute, I should have sacked you months ago and actually should never have given you the job in the first place".

Errr, I was in a definite minority when being slated for saying I thought Fred shouldn't give Souness a penny in that January transfer window. I don't recall you backing me up on that one at the time. Are you now saying I was right?

I'm making note of people who think when someone like Souness comes and asks for £8m for Boumsong the correct answer is "Sure, here you go!" rather than "Get to ****, wait a minute, I should have sacked you months ago and actually should never have given you the job in the first place".

Errr, I was in a definite minority when being slated for saying I thought Fred shouldn't give Souness a penny in that January transfer window. I don't recall you backing me up on that one at the time. Are you now saying I was right?

Edited to add some more above - Yes, you were right.  Freddy was wrong, as usual.

The actual correct response would have been to sack Souness, as well as not giving him a penny, but at least the latter would have been preferable.  But I don't think having a shite manager and no players would have got us anywhere either.

Of course if he was going to stick with Souness for the duration of his contract, like he was pretending at the time, he might as well have given him cash.  Backing him and sacking him was possibly the worst thing he could have done, however.  A balls up of Shepherd-style proportions.

By inference you are suggesting that we should have kept faith with Ronny Johnsen and Robbie Elliott as our central defence, rather than strengthening and replacing Woodgate (who was sold so late to the window closing than no replacement could be brought in)? We also bought Faye and Babayaro as squad players. Was this a good move or not?

Edited to add some more above - Yes, you were right.  Freddy was wrong, as usual.

The actual correct response would have been to sack Souness, as well as not giving him a penny, but at least the latter would have been preferable.  But I don't think having a shite manager and no players would have got us anywhere either.

Of course if he was going to stick with Souness for the duration of his contract, like he was pretending at the time, he might as well have given him cash.  Backing him and sacking him was possibly the worst thing he could have done, however.  A balls up of Shepherd-style proportions.

Yes, I advocated sacking him too, but I was slated for that idea because it was claimed it would make the club a laughing stock.

You couldn't make it up.

By inference you are suggesting that we should have kept faith with Ronny Johnsen and Robbie Elliott as our central defence, rather than strengthening and replacing Woodgate (who was sold so late to the window closing than no replacement could be brought in)? We also bought Faye and Babayaro as squad players. Was this a good move or not?

It was a bad move. The club should have sacked Souness and allowed a competent manager to spend the money. That is what I said at the time. Sorry like.

It was a bad move. The club should have sacked Souness and allowed a competent manager to spend the money. That is what I said at the time. Sorry like.

So you'd have sacked him after 4 months in the job?

So you'd have sacked him after 4 months in the job?

I'd have sacked him after the match away to Charlton, however long into the season that was.