Newcastle Finances £12 million Loss

Guest The Fox

I'm making note of people who think when someone like Souness comes and asks for £8m for Boumsong the correct answer is "Sure, here you go!" rather than "Get to ****, wait a minute, I should have sacked you months ago and actually should never have given you the job in the first place".

Errr, I was in a definite minority when being slated for saying I thought Fred shouldn't give Souness a penny in that January transfer window. I don't recall you backing me up on that one at the time. Are you now saying I was right?

By inference you are suggesting that we should have kept faith with Ronny Johnsen and Robbie Elliott as our central defence, rather than strengthening and replacing Woodgate (who was sold so late to the window closing than no replacement could be brought in)? We also bought Faye and Babayaro as squad players. Was this a good move or not?

It was a bad move. The club should have sacked Souness and allowed a competent manager to spend the money. That is what I said at the time. Sorry like.

So you'd have sacked him after 4 months in the job?

I'd have sacked him after the match away to Charlton, however long into the season that was.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have even interviewed him for the job.  :|

bluesleep.gif

Why did Gordon Lee and Arthur Cox leave Newcastle, and why did we sell 3 locally born England players and replace them with has beens and never were players ?

What has that got to do with our £12 million loss, even you can't blame any of them for that, can you?

if you don't see the relevance, then you obviously weren;t supporting the club at that time, or you would.

I'm making note of people who think when someone like Souness comes and asks for £8m for Boumsong the correct answer is "Sure, here you go!" rather than "Get to ****, wait a minute, I should have sacked you months ago and actually should never have given you the job in the first place".

Errr, I was in a definite minority when being slated for saying I thought Fred shouldn't give Souness a penny in that January transfer window. I don't recall you backing me up on that one at the time. Are you now saying I was right?

By inference you are suggesting that we should have kept faith with Ronny Johnsen and Robbie Elliott as our central defence, rather than strengthening and replacing Woodgate (who was sold so late to the window closing than no replacement could be brought in)? We also bought Faye and Babayaro as squad players. Was this a good move or not?

It was a bad move. The club should have sacked Souness and allowed a competent manager to spend the money. That is what I said at the time. Sorry like.

So you'd have sacked him after 4 months in the job?

I'd have sacked him after the match away to Charlton, however long into the season that was.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have even interviewed him for the job.  :|

Well aye, huge mistake, as has been said many times.

£50 million isn't unlimited, but it's a lot closer to it than anyone with more brain in their head than lard would have given him.  Giving Graeme Souness that much money isn't being a good chairman and backing your manager, it's being taken for a complete and utter mug.

I'm making a note of the people who believe interference by the Board in team affairs is ok.

aye. They will deny it later though.

Do you really have to come back with childish shite like than in place of actually addressing the point? We all know it was a mistake appointing Souness and it's been said more than once that if Roeder turns out to be another bad appointment the Board should examine their position. 

Your post is basically stupid, Mick.

Do you want the Board to back their manager in the transfer market or not? A straight yes or no will do. If it's yes then why do you hold the Board to blame for the manager spending the money on players who hindsight shows haven't been good enough? If it's no, then fair enough, you have no ambition for the club to succeed. I suspect the answer will be yes, but then how do you guarantee the manager will get it right? No doubt you know how to choose a manager than can't fail. I'm waiting for you to tell me how that is done.

I may have come back with childish shite but at least I don't come out with the shite you and your "mate" keeps coming out with when you back Shepherd while he ruins something you both claim to care about. 

I can't answer your question with a yes or no, it's not as easy as that and depends on who the manager is.  I was happy to see Keegan and Robson backed but not Souness, backing him has resulted is the record loss that has been widely reported today.

How the hell can you defend Shepherd when he appointed somebody who was obviously going to fail the way he did.  I could see what was going to happen and you could.  How can he get away with appointing the person who has financially crippled this club and by appointing him, Shepherd has crippled the club.

You stick up for him as long as you want, you really are backing yourself into an embarrassing position for yourself, and you obviously can't see that you are looking like a total idiot.  Take a long hard look at yourself because you are sticking up for Shepherd in the same way as Shepherd stuck up for Souness when everybody knew Souness should go and you look just as daft.

I'm making note of people who think when someone like Souness comes and asks for £8m for Boumsong the correct answer is "Sure, here you go!" rather than "Get to fuck, wait a minute, I should have sacked you months ago and actually I should never have given you the job in the first place".

well... a few of us DID say that, I was one.

One thing I did NOT do, was say give him the money, then complain later when it was spent badly.

I posted my view on a manager-chairman/board relationship here. This has ALWAYS been my view and always will.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,31110.msg594892.html#msg594892

A mistake we're still paying the price for, agreed?

The club may pay the ultimate price at the rate it's going. I think it'll take a few years to recover from the Souness debacle.

You mean bankruptcy?

Do you blame anyone in particular for this mistake?

if you don't see the relevance, then you obviously weren;t supporting the club at that time, or you would.

Oh dear, is that the best you can do?  Give your head a shake for your own sake.  You're backing the bloke who had just posted a record loss, gates are falling and we're in the bottom of the table fighting for our place in the division.

I didn't support the old directors so I've a clear conscience on that one, I just don't think the bloke you worship is any better and he seems to go out of his way to prove that he's no better.

You claimed Ellis was shite but Shepherd wasn't, even though Ellis has finished above Freddy more than the other way round.  We've just posted massive losses and you are still supporting him, you really are a comedy genius, even if you're not aware just how stupid you are looking.

Do you really have to come back with childish shite like than in place of actually addressing the point? We all know it was a mistake appointing Souness and it's been said more than once that if Roeder turns out to be another bad appointment the Board should examine their position. 

Your post is basically stupid, Mick.

Do you want the Board to back their manager in the transfer market or not? A straight yes or no will do. If it's yes then why do you hold the Board to blame for the manager spending the money on players who hindsight shows haven't been good enough? If it's no, then fair enough, you have no ambition for the club to succeed. I suspect the answer will be yes, but then how do you guarantee the manager will get it right? No doubt you know how to choose a manager than can't fail. I'm waiting for you to tell me how that is done.

I may have come back with childish shite but at least I don't come out with the shite you and your "mate" keeps coming out with when you back Shepherd while he ruins something you both claim to care about. 

I can't answer your question with a yes or no, it's not as easy as that and depends on who the manager is.  I was happy to see Keegan and Robson backed but not Souness, backing him has resulted is the record loss that has been widely reported today.

How the hell can you defend Shepherd when he appointed somebody who was obviously going to fail the way he did.  I could see what was going to happen and you could.  How can he get away with appointing the person who has financially crippled this club and by appointing him, Shepherd has crippled the club.

You stick up for him as long as you want, you really are backing yourself into an embarrassing position for yourself, and you obviously can't see that you are looking like a total idiot.  Take a long hard look at yourself because you are sticking up for Shepherd in the same way as Shepherd stuck up for Souness when everybody knew Souness should go and you look just as daft.

I'm not defending Fred. I said ages ago that if the replacement for Souness turns out to be shite he should consider his position. I assume you missed that.

The club may pay the ultimate price at the rate it's going. I think it'll take a few years to recover from the Souness debacle.

You mean bankruptcy?

No, I mean relegation.

I'm not defending Fred. I said ages ago that if the replacement for Souness turns out to be shite he should consider his position. I assume you missed that.

Do you think he should stay or go?

I'll not throw it back in your face if you've changed your mind as we all change opinions, I get the feeling that you have, or, are close to doing so although I might be wrong.

I'll not throw it back in your face if you've changed your mind as we all change opinions, I get the feeling that you have, or, are close to doing so although I might be wrong.

Mick, I've never changed my mind on this. What I said was the error of Souness was huge and has cost the club a massive amount. The replacement has to be correct and if not Fred should consider his position as Chairman. What do you think that means, like? It seems obvious to me.

I must go out and will not get back on here until tomorrow, I'm gutted that HTL's might turn against Shepherd and I might be the last person to see it.

Go for it HTL's, you'll feel much better.

It'll be a bit like going to see the doctor and expecting to be told you've only got a week to live then he tells you that you're perfectly healthy, go for it.

You mean bankruptcy?

No, I mean relegation.

Fairly sure that relegation and the subsequent drop in income would quickly lead to bankruptcy though...

Anyway, do you blame anyone in particular for the mistake?

Mick, I've never changed my mind on this. What I said was the error of Souness was huge and has cost the club a massive amount. The replacement has to be correct and if not Fred should consider his position as Chairman. What do you think that means, like? It seems obvious to me.

Sometimes I argue with you but think we are not a million miles apart in what we think, I might be wrong.

Go for it, try Shepherd Out. bluebiggrin.gif

I must go out and will not get back on here until tomorrow, I'm gutted that HTL's might turn against Shepherd and I might be the last person to see it.

Go for it HTL's, you'll feel much better.

It'll be a bit like going to see the doctor and expecting to be told you've only got a week to live then he tells you that you're perfectly healthy, go for it.

Eh?

Guest elbee909

He's expressing his personal disbelief that you're apparently going to turn on Freddy Shepherd.

That's a mental image I could have fucking done without

You mean bankruptcy?

No, I mean relegation.

Fairly sure that relegation and the subsequent drop in income would quickly lead to bankruptcy though...

Anyway, do you blame anyone in particular for the mistake?

Ahem...[/clearsthroat]

Oh dear, is that the best you can do?  Give your head a shake for your own sake.  You're backing the bloke who had just posted a record loss, gates are falling and we're in the bottom of the table fighting for our place in the division.

I didn't support the old directors so I've a clear conscience on that one, I just don't think the bloke you worship is any better and he seems to go out of his way to prove that he's no better.

You claimed Ellis was shite but Shepherd wasn't, even though Ellis has finished above Freddy more than the other way round.  We've just posted massive losses and you are still supporting him, you really are a comedy genius, even if you're not aware just how stupid you are looking.

Ellis took Villa "massively backwards" from European Champions during 26 years [TWENTY SIX]. I think even you would admit that is long enough to prove he was incapable of keeping them in the position that is their right or maintain their former glories. Or maybe now. He also didn't back his managers, which a long term supporter - cough cough - of Newcastle United should be aware of the importance of. It may be that this board has taken the club as far forward as they can, but it doesn't mean the replacements will be better. As in thinking replacing Keegan would lead to automatic improvement, and replacing Robson, you should be aware it isn't so easy as that. Long term supporters - cough cough - should be more aware than this, having saw for themselves that Newcastle United are not immune from treading the depths of the old 2nd division and selling their best players. Do you still view this as a "golden era" etc, challenging for promotion with a few has beens then selling our best players when we get up being the height of ambition?

There are a few people looking stupid on here...in my view they are those who think that a fairy is waiting in the wings to guarantee moving NUFC onto trophies that are theirs by divine right, and will have the good of the club at heart despite being shown this is far from certain, and be automatically better than the current board, yet are unable to name who this person is.