Those who want to give Keegan control over transfers

stozo

His record was extremely mixed at Man City, with him signing some absolute rubbish. Also if the board has been buying the players, I'd say they have done a good job so far in getting Gutierrez and Coloccini.

Is it really such a good idea giving Keegan complete control of transfers?

Guest Toon Argy

His record was extremely mixed at Man City, with him signing some absolute rubbish. Also if the board has been buying the players, I'd say they have done a good job so far in getting Gutierrez and Coloccini.

Bought anelka for city didnt he?

Guest firetotheworks

The point is that he needs to have the final say so over the players, as far as we know he said yes to the 4 that came in originally and theyve played brilliantly.

The alternative doesnt bare thinking about

Are you insane, his record in the transfer market is excellent.

He also bought David Sommeil, Eyal Berkovic, Robbie Fowler and Michael Tarnat.

I'm just really playing devil's advocate here really, I'm not particularly of one opinion or another.

Vetere and Jimenez are just glorified scouts.

Keegan should have the telling say in EVERY decision with regards to the team, else what the hell is the point.

exactly. that doesnt mean vetere can't continue as head scout, but that keegan has the final say.

it is HE who has to deal with them every day on the training ground and forge a cohesive team together, not Vetere or whoever else.

and who is to say keegan didnt pick Coloccini out? on the day he arrived i predicted he'd sign Colo as he is such an obvious keegan type, and he not exactly an obscure player. i'd imagine keegan also had last say on Jonas, and is probably 100% behind the Guthrie move. he didn't seem to have much of a problem until the last day of the deadline so it's Xisco and/or Gonzalez he might have a prob with, if indeed he has a problem with them at all. it may be that Jimenez and Llambias failed to go after the players keegan wanted, and failed to spend the money we had when we needed reinforcements, which is a different matter altogether. and if there's one thing keegan knows how to do it is spending money, he brought in fabulous players in his first spell here.

having the manager have no say in transfers, fucking hell man have a word  :lol:

I'd back Keegan to improve us with new signings as much as I would back anybody.

Keegans main strength is motivating players and building team spirit. He can't do that if he didnt want them in the first place.

You Have hit the Big F-king Nail square on its big F-kin Head.

This is exactly why Keegan wants To speak to players before we sign them,... he wants to know the man... as much as the footballer....can i get the best out of this man,.... will he listen to me in the heat of battle.

He needs to meet the players, and look them in the eye before he decides if hes signing them...

If the paper speculation that Keegan has no say in whether a transfer is completed or not, then I want that to change. I would like it so that Keegan has the final say on any potential player that Jimenez/Vetere want, as they do seem to be very good a finding the players. That would be the best situation for the club.

To be honest I don't think it is that black and white.

Our recruitment team have clearly done a good job with the 6 players we have signed this window. I know its very early, but in terms of not being held to ransom and actually trying to get non-mercenary players who want to do well for NUFC, can you remember a better summer of acquisitions since Keegan's last reign?

I think that the recruitment team is doing a good job (and that includes Wise), and all that needs to happen in the next few days is that Ashley and Keegan agree from now on Keegan decides ultimately on player DEPARTURES, and on acquisitions Keegan needs  to be the main input and decision maker, however I'm all for him taking a back seat when it come to recruiting the young players who aren't likely to feature for the first team for a couple of years.

I think this is a sensible way of both parties saving face and coming out of this mess in a positive way.

I'm just really playing devil's advocate here really, I'm not particularly of one opinion or another.

Tarnat and Berkovic were successes, Berkovic was voted Man City's player of the year ffs! And Fowler, who had a 1 goal every 2 games record for Leeds, was bought for the relatively risk free price of £3m up front, £3m dependent on performances. he also finished man city's top scorer in one of his seasons there. He also signed Ali Bernabia who if you ask any City fan, was a huge success and ended up being made captain. Distin was an inspired buy too as Keegan moved him into the middle after playing full-back for us. If there's one thing i could change about Robson's reign it would be getting Distin instead of Bramble.

of course keegan has bought his fair share of duffers but so has every manager. Robson bought Viana, Cort, Bramble, O'Brien, Bassedas and so on. but transfers are only a means to an end - ultimately Robson made us an excellent side and that is what counts.

Guest optimistic nit

i think keegan has more control than everyone is saying.

keegan kept saying that we need to buy quality, not just any old player, and that is exactly how we've approached this transfer window.

in my opinion this is much less about players coming in, more about players going out (smith and barton). i think keegan has had the final say on most of our players in, maybe all, and he got the final say on barton and smith as well, eventually. not apparently on milner though.

Tarnat and Berkovic were successes, Berkovic was voted Man City's player of the year ffs! And Fowler, who had a 1 goal every 2 games record for Leeds, was bought for the relatively risk free price of £3m up front, £3m dependent on performances. he also finished man city's top scorer in one of his seasons there. He also signed Ali Bernabia who if you ask any City fan, was a huge success and ended up being made captain. Distin was an inspired buy too as Keegan moved him into the middle after playing full-back for us. If there's one thing i could change about Robson's reign it would be getting Distin instead of Bramble.

of course keegan has bought his fair share of duffers but so has every manager. Robson bought Viana, Cort, Bramble, O'Brien, Bassedas and so on. but transfers are only a means to an end - ultimately Robson made us an excellent side and that is what counts.

I was very good friends with a Citeh fan when KK was there so I saw quite a lot of them in the Championship and Ali Benarbia was absolutely fucking class. They were phenomenal that season they got promoted, they were just like us when we did.

And for the umpteenth time, I don't think the buying of players has been a problem for KK (apart from not getting enough). Just listen to his interviews about Jonas during the summer.

Curbishley obviously thought it was important. Course he is talking about picking the team so it's a slightly different case. Or is it? Rambling into the realms of pure speculation I'm guessing Keegan hasn't been given any of his targets and we've just got scouting team ones in.

For instance. Keegan wants SWP, knows the lad and knows he can get the best out of him again. He's also shown tapes of Ignacio Gonzalez, says he's interested, could be a good squad filler. We all know what the outcome to that scenario is.

Add to that the selling of Milner which has to have been based on getting player 'x' as replacement but player 'x' never arrived. Possible players being offered about for sale without his knowledge.

Yes you can say Keegan picks the team, but it would be from a carefully selected pool of players, selected by someone else.

Guest optimistic nit

"or instance. Keegan wants SWP, knows the lad and knows he can get the best out of him again. He's also shown tapes of Ignacio Gonzalez, says he's interested, could be a good squad filler. We all know what the outcome to that scenario is."

you've just made every word of that up man. :lol:

how the fuck do you know keegan's opinions on swp, and how do you know we didn't try to sign swp (the media linked us constantly) but he chose city over us, because thats where he broke through and they were offering more money.

just because we dont sign someone it doesn't mean we dont do our best to.

Those City fans who lambast Kev,should really remember where they were when he took over and where they were when he left.Keegan has been a success wherever he has been in club football.

Never met one of them that didn't have fond memories of him. If they're lambasting him it must be some form of sour grapes he left them?

Rambling into the realms of pure speculation ....

For instance. Keegan wants SWP, knows the lad and knows he can get the best out of him again. He's also shown tapes of Ignacio Gonzalez, says he's interested, could be a good squad filler. We all know what the outcome to that scenario is."

you've just made every word of that up man. :lol:

how the fuck do you know keegan's opinions on swp, and how do you know we didn't try to sign swp (the media linked us constantly) but he chose city over us, because thats where he broke through and they were offering more money.

just because we dont sign someone it doesn't mean we dont do our best to.

Ha'way man, read the post.

Guest optimistic nit

i didn't know i could post any old bullshite i wanted, as long as i said it was purely speculation first.  :lol: actually isn't that how the press are alloud to print any old shite they want? say at the start its speculation but by the end they are saying it like its fact.

And Distin iirc