Team Selection

Guest The Toon Army from farawa

Baisically I think we need to utilise the strength and depth we have in the squad. We don't have the quality of a Manchester United or a Chelsea so I don't think we can be as rigid with our formations as they are. I still wouldn't feel comfortable with us going to somewhere like Villa or City with two banks of four, we'd get picked apart by their pace and quality.

Same goes for the personnel who play in those formations. I think we can afford to try something different at home like a Coloccini-Bassong centre back pairing or Guthrie in defensive midfield.

9 100% 1st team starters, the rest can be mixed and matched.

Given

Colo

Taylor

Beye

Zoggy

Jonas

Owen

Martins

Guthrie

I guess it would ve

------------Given

Beye---Tayl----Colo---Bass

Jona---Guth----Nach---Zog

--------Owen---Oba

I dont think that Zoggy and Guthrie are neccasarily 100% first teamers tbh.

I Would prefer to see

Home :

.                            Given

Beye Taylor Colo N'zogbia(Enrique if top 4)

Barton Nacho Jonas

Owen

Viduka/Xisco Martins

Away :

.                              Given

Beye Taylor Colo Enrique

Jonas Barton Guthrie Zoggy

Owen Martins

I'd like to see:

------------Given

Beye---Taylor----Coloccini---Enrique

Barton-------Guthrie--------Jonas

---------------Owen--------------

-------Martins-------Xisco--------

:thup:

Possibly alternating Viduka with Xisco, depends on how the new lad does.

Really will be disappointed if this system isn't used again.

I think we'll start off

----------------------Given----------------------

Beye-------Taylor--------Colo--------Enrique

Jonas------Guthrie------Barton------Zogs

-------------Owen-------Martins-------------

But will hopefully go to

----------------------Given----------------------

Beye-------Taylor--------Colo--------Enrique

Jonas------Nacho------Guthrie------Zogs

-------------Owen-------Xisco-------------

Right now (outside of injury) I see our primary problem areas to be Enrique and N'Zogbia, especially Zogs.  I don't get to see every game but Enrique can only play at one speed and lacks finesse.  Zogs looks like he's given a lot of space to operate and allows himself to be drawn in with the ball at his feet and then he gets his pocket picked.  I don't think N'zogbia can be counted on to deliver reliable service from the left wing.

I liked they way we played 4-3-3 last year but given the injury record of our forwards can we do it again?  Right now, the best thing about 4-3-3 is that it gets Zogs off the pitch, IMO.  I'd rather see us play 4-4-2 and integrate Nach in as a playmaker and Xisco as target man.  Let Guthrie and Barton foght it out as holding MF.  Look for the needed help at both FB spots (more of a back up for Beye, someone to push Enrique, who still could bloom) and left wing to replace Zogs.  I'd look to move Smith on and perhaps Barton if he loses out to Guthrie.  If Guthrie wins the holding spot and Barton gets moved, I'd bring in a genuine DM to cover Guthrie and start when a more defensive lineup is required.

Like most, I want a 4-3-1-2.

Given

Beye  Taylor    Colo Enrique

Nacho  Guthrie      Jonas

Owen

Xisco        Martins

Possibly swap Enrique for Zog in home games where we expect them to defend all game, and Nacho and/or Guthrie for Barton/Butt in games where we'll be put under more pressure.

Plenty of options, we can easy convert to 4-4-2 by changing one of the front three for Zoggy, and we'll have other attacking options in Barton, Viduka and, of course Ranger.

Guest loonietoonie

Like most, I want a 4-3-1-2.

Given

Beye  Taylor    Colo Enrique

Nacho  Guthrie      Jonas

Owen

Xisco        Martins

Possibly swap Enrique for Zog in home games where we expect them to defend all game, and Nacho and/or Guthrie for Barton/Butt in games where we'll be put under more pressure.

Plenty of options, we can easy convert to 4-4-2 by changing one of the front three for Zoggy, and we'll have other attacking options in Barton, Viduka and, of course Ranger.

this :)

I'll repost something I said on another thread if you don't mind....

As an Everton fan I'm obviously not as knowledgeable as you lot, but to give a few thoughts....

I've always seen Newcastle as a 4-4-2 team, personally. It depends on how KK (for the moment!) sees how he can get the best out of the current players, but Gutierrez is a right winger isn't he? His pace and ability to run at people should surely be utilised on the wing. Another problem I'd have with the aforementioned lineup is what is, from an outsider's perspective, the bamboozling deployment of Owen in what is essentially an attacking midfielder's role. Whilst he won't suddenly become a crap player, I'm confused as to why he would play anywhere other than up top?

There seems to be divisions with regards to whether to keep N'Zogbia in the team. Again, I don't know the details of his form, but IF he finds some consistency, wouldn't it be a good idea to stick him on the left and Jonas on the right?

However, all this does lead to the main problem with Newcastle at the moment (and ironically, the same problem with the team I support) - the lack of a quality creative midfielder, a la Moutinho, or indeed Matias Fernandez for you FM lovers. Which is where, if Owen can somehow perform successfully in this previously mentioned 4-3-1-2 setup, the problem can be somewhat nullified.

At the back, again there seems to be arguments over whether Taylor is good enough to take his place alongside Coloccini. From what I've seen of him (I watch a fair few Newcastle games, family connections etc), he doesn't seem to be eliminating the mistakes he had at a younger age. His positioning doesn't seem to have improved and is still prone to mistakes, if not as obvious as the legends of Bramble and Boumsong. Thus, there's a bit of unwanted pressure on Bassong to prove a solid base alongside Curlylocks.

Overall, your squad does seem quite canny, and if you get some luck with injuries as well as getting some much-needed consistency (which breeds confidence and a general team spirit), a Uefa push is certainly not out of the question.

That's my 2 pennies worth, anyway.

Appreciate your input, Lien, but you have to remember that that's how we played during our successful run under Keegan last year, with Owen in the hole. We were playing some great football, and Owen was scoring for fun, with defenders not knowing how to handle Martins and Viduka with Owen coming from deep. His role wasn't really as a creative midfielder, he was a striker, but played in a deeper role.

Appreciate your input, Lien, but you have to remember that that's how we played during our successful run under Keegan last year, with Owen in the hole. We were playing some great football, and Owen was scoring for fun, with defenders not knowing how to handle Martins and Viduka with Owen coming from deep. His role wasn't really as a creative midfielder, he was a striker, but played in a deeper role.

True it is something new and hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just seems it's limiting Owen's natural ability, but he didn't do too badly when he was deployed there last year so it's worth keep going with it I guess.

What about trickier away games, is it still worth playing the 3 up front in that way? Perhaps Owen playing off Xisco would be an idea in a sort of 4-4-1-1 formation (with Jonas et al supporting)?

True it is something new and hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just seems it's limiting Owen's natural ability, but he didn't do too badly when he was deployed there last year so it's worth keep going with it I guess.

What about trickier away games, is it still worth playing the 3 up front in that way? Perhaps Owen playing off Xisco would be an idea in a sort of 4-4-1-1 formation (with Jonas et al supporting)?

There was smoething about this in my earlier post:

Away from home as much as I'd love to go all guns blazing I'd like to take a sightly more cautious approach. Now I'm not saying we go ten men behind the ball Allerdyce style, but perhaps try something like 3-5-3. This dissolves the boundries somewhat between defence and counter attack. Under pressure the wing backs come back and provide cover and when going forward they provide supposrt. I'd seriously consider someone like Jonas in that kind of role. It may even benafit Beye in terms of confidence, being able to venture forward a bit more. Alternatively there's a 4-2-3-1 which is a bit narrow but you hve two men ala Butt and Guthrie protecting the back four and three midfielders in more attacking roles. I think this could work with Zoggy and Jonas in the more attacking wide roles.

I definetly think we need to look beyond the rigid 4-4-2 away from home, there are far too may teams out there who'll pick you apart with pace and creativity.

------------------Given------------------

Beye----Taylor---Coloccini----Enrique

----Gutiérrez---Barton---N'Zogbia----

-------------------Owen-------------------

------------Viduka-----Martins----------

Subs: Harper, Bassong, Butt, Guthrie, Gonzalez, Duff, Xisco

Guest Rey Mysterio

For me,

Given

Beye  Taylor/Bassong  Coloccini  Enrique

Guthrie

Nacho              Gutierrez

Martins                      Owen

Xicso

Don't mind who parters colo.  Also think Enrique should play every game at left back as long as his form is ok.

Don't know why people would want Owen playing behind 2 strikers..

He's our most intelligent player, yes, but he's also our best finisher by a mile and with him not being as fast as he once was he needs to be an in the box striker.

'Cos he had miles more success playing in that role last season than up front where he was mostly pants?

His movement makes him. It worked because Viduka and Martins were making the space for him.

Don't know why people would want Owen playing behind 2 strikers..

He's our most intelligent player, yes, but he's also our best finisher by a mile and with him not being as fast as he once was he needs to be an in the box striker.

???

Seemed to work alright at the end of last season, no?