Sir Bobby Robson Speaks

Tooj

Hands up who anyone who wishes Sir Bobby was the Director of Football rather than Dennis Unwise?

Need you ask?

Ever heard of a "rhetorical question", Neil?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/content/images/2007/08/07/neil_student_180_150x180.jpg

Hands up who anyone who wishes Sir Bobby was the Director of Football rather than Dennis Unwise?

Need you ask?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/content/images/2007/08/07/neil_student_180_150x180.jpg

Yes, mine was one as well.

Need you ask?

Yes, mine was one as well. Not sure why that offended you.

No offence taken? :lol:

Guest Heneage

Yet Bobby let Shepherd buy and sell players behind his back.

It's in his autobiography.

You say that, but when you love the club I imagine its hard to walk.

Interesting that SBR isn't suggesting that the structure is wrong, just the personnel and their location.  Wise is simply hanging on to Ashley's and Jiminez's coat tails, but it is impossible for him to hide the fact that his experience does not make him anything like qualified for the job.

If there had been a properly qualified DoF in sitting in his office within SJP there is no doubt in my mind that KK would still be there as well.

Guest Micktoon

Sir Bobby is a fucking legend, even in his last days his still manages to have a laugh at his own illnes whilst describing ours.

Guest Darth Toon

Great stuff from SBR - fantastic to see him rallying behind KK. And Shearer earlier too - 2 men who understand what Newcastle United is supposed to represent.

Interesting that SBR isn't suggesting that the structure is wrong, just the personnel and their location.  Wise is simply hanging on to Ashley's and Jiminez's coat tails, but it is impossible for him to hide the fact that his experience does not make him anything like qualified for the job.

If there had been a properly qualified DoF in sitting in his office within SJP there is no doubt in my mind that KK would still be there as well.

Not many fans are complaining about the quality of the players that Wise has brought in. And although you comment on his inexperience, he's actually part of quite an experienced recruitment team, with Jiminiez and Vitere.

Not many fans are complaining about the quality of the players that Wise has brought in. And although you comment on his inexperience, he's actually part of quite an experienced recruitment team, with Jiminiez and Vitere.

fucking hell can anyone tell me where i read something that clearly defines wise's role in events over the last week?  and in the transfer team he works under?

only thing i've seen so far is from wise when he took the job saying his remit was to boost the youth teams...

i just want to know how wise has become the target? have either the lma or KK come out and said it was him?  or is it only the papers we're now allowed to believe?

Guest SmileyCulture

Long live bobby! Ashley will sell this week and we'll be run from india!

You think it'l be a "Monkey Dust" scenario with the manager and the board if that happens? like he rings to speak to the board and gets a call centre agent? like "look, i know you're in india, i just want to speak to someone on the board of directors!"

(remove this if nessiary) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ixrwO5Oqrk

fucking hell can anyone tell me where i read something that clearly defines wise's role in events over the last week?  and in the transfer team he works under?

only thing i've seen so far is from wise when he took the job saying his remit was to boost the youth teams...

i just want to know how wise has become the target? have either the lma or KK come out and said it was him?  or is it only the papers we're now allowed to believe?

That's a good point. Wise was part of a team, and it may be that he's being singled out as a convenient target.

It sounds like the system is you have a coaching team, headed by Keegan, and a recruitment team, headed by Wise. Inevitably there's a cross-over between the roles, because the Manager has to be happy with the players that are being brought in. So both parties have to give their consent before a player is brought in. Neither is going to get their own way all the time.

Keegan is claiming that a player or players were brought in without his consent. My problem is that I can't think of who that might be, because he seemed happy with the ones who were recruited before deadline day, he actually met Xisco before he signed and welcomed him to the club, and Fernandez was a loan signing who scarcely seems a resigning issue.

If by 'I didn't want these players', he's actually meaning, 'I'd have preferred other players', he's making a rather misleading statement.

Fair enough IF Keegan was aware from the very start that he'd be working under a DOF, but for the club to go and hire Dennis cunting Wise for the job is ridiculous. Who in their right mind would think that masterstroke wouldn't get the manager's back up?

A DOF is generally an experienced, knowledgeable football man with a lot of influencial contacts in the game, not a man younger than the manager himself with a few years experience of lower league football management.

A statement designed to appease us that's only served to fan the flames even more. Incompetent fuckwits!

Guest thefishman

Long live bobby! Ashley will sell this week and we'll be run from india!

You think it'l be a "Monkey Dust" scenario with the manager and the board if that happens? like he rings to speak to the board and gets a call centre agent? like "look, i know you're in india, i just want to speak to someone on the board of directors!"

(remove this if nessiary) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ixrwO5Oqrk

LOL, yes imagine keegans fury next transfer deadline day, when he has to press 3 on the phone keypad to reach transfers, he'll walk again im telling you.

That's a good point. Wise was part of a team, and it may be that he's being singled out as a convenient target.

It sounds like the system is you have a coaching team, headed by Keegan, and a recruitment team, headed by Wise. Inevitably there's a cross-over between the roles, because the Manager has to be happy with the players that are being brought in. So both parties have to give their consent before a player is brought in. Neither is going to get their own way all the time.

Keegan is claiming that a player or players were brought in without his consent. My problem is that I can't think of who that might be, because he seemed happy with the ones who were recruited before deadline day, he actually met Xisco before he signed and welcomed him to the club, and Fernandez was a loan signing who scarcely seems a resigning issue.

If by 'I didn't want these players', he's actually meaning, 'I'd have preferred other players', he's making a rather misleading statement.

exactly, there are some significant questions need answering by both sides if you ask me

but it's far easier to post comments like "throw the dwarf down the well" (as funny as that was)

people seem to have the impression wise is sitting there like a cockney guy ritchie villian doing anything and everything he could to undermine KK when the reality probably is that as part of his job he had a remit (or the transfer team did) that clashed with KK's so he/they fought their position based on that and have come out on top 'cause they knew that's what the paymaster wanted

KK wanted what we wanted but maybe that wasn't in his job description

Fair enough IF Keegan was aware from the very start that he'd be working under a DOF, but for the club to go and hire Dennis cunting Wise for the job is ridiculous. Who in their right mind would think that masterstroke wouldn't get the manager's back up?

A DOF is generally an experienced, knowledgeable football man with a lot of influencial contacts in the game, not a man younger than the manager himself with a few years experience of lower league football management.

A statement designed to appease us that's only served to fan the flames even more. Incompetent fuckwits!

not sure what his age has to do with it?  there are young scouts out there, successful ones, who can spot a good player - indeed KK did the same didn't he when he was manager first time in his late 30's/early 40's

ajax seem to have no problem incorporating young ex-players into their networks

ah but i'm forgetting again, it's dennis wise

"throw the dwarf down the well"

That is why I am personally more angry with Ashley and Llambias. The recruitment team was working well, and for the first few signings at least, seemed to be working to KK's satisfaction. There were always going to be times when both parties didn't agree, and at those times, the chairman/owner should have been working hard to find a compromise. From the sounds of it though with Ashley out of the country leaving Llambias in charge, Llambias didn't bother to make any compromises, and just sent a letter to KK detailing all the small priont in KK's contract, essentially telling him to fuck off.

I still believe that Mort would have found the compromise.

That is why I am personally more angry with Ashley and Llambias. The recruitment team was working well, and for the first few signings at least, seemed to be working to KK's satisfaction. There were always going to be times when both parties didn't agree, and at those times, the chairman/owner should have been working hard to find a compromise. From the sounds of it though with Ashley out of the country leaving Llambias in charge, Llambias didn't bother to make any compromises, and just sent a letter to KK detailing all the small priont in KK's contract, essentially telling him to fuck off.

I still believe that Mort would have found the compromise.

yeah mort is missed now huh?  seemed to know what he was doing, ostensibly anyway

one thing the statement from the club makes clear, by the way, is the financial restraints the transfer people were operating under which suggests they've actually done a fairly good job imo