Sir Bobby Robson Speaks

Tooj

The point is, if Keegan has 100% power to decide who should be bought and who should not, Wise' role would simply be a "negotiator" on behalf of Keegan. It will simply ruins the system Ashley would like to have.

In an ideal world, Keegan should be able to bring in "some" players he thinks he desperately need to strengthen his squad, while Wise/other recruitment team members would also bring in a few players he believes the squad needs or has the value to invest, and hopefully, agreed and accepted by Keegan.

That's what the system should work.

While we don't know which players are belonged to KK and which belonged to Wise (we can guess it though),

So far the system has worked EXTREMELY WELL and that's why all the fans are gutted.

The transfers are actually spot on imo before the sales of Milner. Guthrie and Coloccini are very very useful players which worth every penny we spend and  Jonas are simply an unbelievable signing. We are able to strengthen the team a lot WITHOUT any large sum spend during the summer. If this is what Wise did then he must be credited. And considering what Keegan wanna buy (if we believe the rumoured transfer list), Wise' transfer record is really justified --- Keegan to spend big on stars which he want, while Wise would try to make a few balanced and bargaining deals to strengthen the squad.

The outburst is probably due to the loss on Milner (which KK highly rated but everyone else here didn't) and no big name stars in his list was brought in.

Schweinsteiger is an unfortunate loss but I don't think the Wise team should be blamed for not signing big name stars --- everyone understand how difficult it is for a team without Europe competition.

The system should works, and we all know it is going to work well --- the board decisions for these few months before the outburst were fucking great. We can apportion the blame among Wise, Ashley, KK or everyone else but in the end we just have no luck. I am quite confident that if one or two stars did join us KK won't go, and from this viewpoint the loss of Schweinsteiger was crucial --- but we all know it needs a lot of luck.

Is KK being unrealistic then?

Interesting that SBR isn't suggesting that the structure is wrong, just the personnel and their location.  Wise is simply hanging on to Ashley's and Jiminez's coat tails, but it is impossible for him to hide the fact that his experience does not make him anything like qualified for the job.

If there had been a properly qualified DoF in sitting in his office within SJP there is no doubt in my mind that KK would still be there as well.

Not many fans are complaining about the quality of the players that Wise has brought in. And although you comment on his inexperience, he's actually part of quite an experienced recruitment team, with Jiminiez and Vitere.

fucking hell can anyone tell me where i read something that clearly defines wise's role in events over the last week?  and in the transfer team he works under?

only thing i've seen so far is from wise when he took the job saying his remit was to boost the youth teams...

i just want to know how wise has become the target? have either the lma or KK come out and said it was him?  or is it only the papers we're now allowed to believe?

That's a good point. Wise was part of a team, and it may be that he's being singled out as a convenient target.

It sounds like the system is you have a coaching team, headed by Keegan, and a recruitment team, headed by Wise. Inevitably there's a cross-over between the roles, because the Manager has to be happy with the players that are being brought in. So both parties have to give their consent before a player is brought in. Neither is going to get their own way all the time.

Keegan is claiming that a player or players were brought in without his consent. My problem is that I can't think of who that might be, because he seemed happy with the ones who were recruited before deadline day, he actually met Xisco before he signed and welcomed him to the club, and Fernandez was a loan signing who scarcely seems a resigning issue.

If by 'I didn't want these players', he's actually meaning, 'I'd have preferred other players', he's making a rather misleading statement.

That is why I am personally more angry with Ashley and Llambias. The recruitment team was working well, and for the first few signings at least, seemed to be working to KK's satisfaction. There were always going to be times when both parties didn't agree, and at those times, the chairman/owner should have been working hard to find a compromise. From the sounds of it though with Ashley out of the country leaving Llambias in charge, Llambias didn't bother to make any compromises, and just sent a letter to KK detailing all the small priont in KK's contract, essentially telling him to fuck off.

I still believe that Mort would have found the compromise.

yeah mort is missed now huh?  seemed to know what he was doing, ostensibly anyway

one thing the statement from the club makes clear, by the way, is the financial restraints the transfer people were operating under which suggests they've actually done a fairly good job imo

You have to consider what the various people were actually doing on the final day.

Wise was in Leeds, negotiating the £1.5m signings of three Leeds U17s.

Jimenez was negotiating the transfers of Xisco, Gonzalez, and Schweinsteiger amongst others.

Vetere had probably finished his work, but was probably around the place in case people needed his say on something.

Llambias was at his desk, rubberstamping our dealings.

What is clear was that Jimenez and Wise seem to be getting on with their day to day jobs of bringing the players to SJP. I believe that they were both doing what they thought was best for the club. If KK was unhappy about something he would have had to go to Llambias to ask for it.

We all remember that he left last time because of a faceless, non-footballing individual in a suit. I believe history has repeated itself.

Guest Brewcastle

When Sir Bobby gets the daggers out, it's time to go.

See you later Dennis.

Yes. Even Ashley & co wants to bring in a new "system" at SJP they should listen to Sir Bobby. -Or maybe better, asked for his advice before setting action. Thanks to Sir Bobby for speaking out  :thup:. By the way; no NUFC-supporter deserve what's happened, and less than any Sir Bobby.

Interesting that SBR isn't suggesting that the structure is wrong, just the personnel and their location.  Wise is simply hanging on to Ashley's and Jiminez's coat tails, but it is impossible for him to hide the fact that his experience does not make him anything like qualified for the job.

If there had been a properly qualified DoF in sitting in his office within SJP there is no doubt in my mind that KK would still be there as well.

Not many fans are complaining about the quality of the players that Wise has brought in. And although you comment on his inexperience, he's actually part of quite an experienced recruitment team, with Jiminiez and Vitere.

Jeff Vitere's qualities are well known and also longstanding.  Jiminez's experience as a mate of Matthew Harding who used to sponsor some Chelsea matches and became close to Wise is a bit more tenuous.  I accept that he has a lot of connections but experience is more about what you know rather than who you know.

probably a pointless post, but i must say that i've enjoyed reading the sensible debate in this thread, which makes for a change from reading some of the crap in others.

not much more can be said about sir bobby's comments other than that they were quite on the money.

Jeff Vitere's qualities are well known and also longstanding.  Jiminez's experience as a mate of Matthew Harding who used to sponsor some Chelsea matches and became close to Wise is a bit more tenuous.  I accept that he has a lot of connections but experience is more about what you know rather than who you know.

He suggests the structure is wrong in that KK was answering to Wise and not the other way about.

hes the man.

wish he was 10-15 years younger and could take control of this team again. hes the only one besides KK in my eyes who "got it" in terms of the area, the people, his role....

still hurts me to think of the manner in which he was let go. sickening

fucking hell can anyone tell me where i read something that clearly defines wise's role in events over the last week?  and in the transfer team he works under?

only thing i've seen so far is from wise when he took the job saying his remit was to boost the youth teams...

i just want to know how wise has become the target? have either the lma or KK come out and said it was him?  or is it only the papers we're now allowed to believe?

That's a good point. Wise was part of a team, and it may be that he's being singled out as a convenient target.

It sounds like the system is you have a coaching team, headed by Keegan, and a recruitment team, headed by Wise. Inevitably there's a cross-over between the roles, because the Manager has to be happy with the players that are being brought in. So both parties have to give their consent before a player is brought in. Neither is going to get their own way all the time.

Keegan is claiming that a player or players were brought in without his consent. My problem is that I can't think of who that might be, because he seemed happy with the ones who were recruited before deadline day, he actually met Xisco before he signed and welcomed him to the club, and Fernandez was a loan signing who scarcely seems a resigning issue.

If by 'I didn't want these players', he's actually meaning, 'I'd have preferred other players', he's making a rather misleading statement.

That is why I am personally more angry with Ashley and Llambias. The recruitment team was working well, and for the first few signings at least, seemed to be working to KK's satisfaction. There were always going to be times when both parties didn't agree, and at those times, the chairman/owner should have been working hard to find a compromise. From the sounds of it though with Ashley out of the country leaving Llambias in charge, Llambias didn't bother to make any compromises, and just sent a letter to KK detailing all the small priont in KK's contract, essentially telling him to fuck off.

I still believe that Mort would have found the compromise.

yeah mort is missed now huh?  seemed to know what he was doing, ostensibly anyway

one thing the statement from the club makes clear, by the way, is the financial restraints the transfer people were operating under which suggests they've actually done a fairly good job imo

You have to consider what the various people were actually doing on the final day.

Wise was in Leeds, negotiating the £1.5m signings of three Leeds U17s.

Jimenez was negotiating the transfers of Xisco, Gonzalez, and Schweinsteiger amongst others.

Vetere had probably finished his work, but was probably around the place in case people needed his say on something.

Llambias was at his desk, rubberstamping our dealings.

What is clear was that Jimenez and Wise seem to be getting on with their day to day jobs of bringing the players to SJP. I believe that they were both doing what they thought was best for the club. If KK was unhappy about something he would have had to go to Llambias to ask for it.

We all remember that he left last time because of a faceless, non-footballing individual in a suit. I believe history has repeated itself.

james what's the story with Schweinsteiger?  people have referred to it but i never heard the ins and outs?  he knocked us back someone said, so were we supposed to have agreed a fee?  if so anyone know what it was?

probably a pointless post, but i must say that i've enjoyed reading the sensible debate in this thread, which makes for a change from reading some of the crap in others.

not much more can be said about sir bobby's comments other than that they were quite on the money.

True, I noticed that as well.

Can't disagree with much of Sir Bobby's article at all, all I would say is that even he doesn't know the real goings-on behind the scenes and what Keegan did or didn't agree to when he joined.

The principles of what he said are sound though.

Er, is he?

Can you imagine Alan Shearer or Steve Bruce being given Xisco or a player called Gonzalez they had never seen or heard of? Nor can I, which is why I fear neither proud Geordie would consider the job at the moment with Wise all-powerful.

He fears? I fear Bruce's name being anywhere near mentioned when talking about NUFC. (he clearly thinks Bruce would be a good appointment or he wouldn't have mentioned his name)

Er, is he?

Can you imagine Alan Shearer or Steve Bruce being given Xisco or a player called Gonzalez they had never seen or heard of? Nor can I, which is why I fear neither proud Geordie would consider the job at the moment with Wise all-powerful.

He fears? I fear Bruce's name being anywhere near mentioned when talking about NUFC. (he clearly thinks Bruce would be a good appointment or he wouldn't have mentioned his name)

I just read it as a general point rather than him 'banging on about Steve Bruce for manager'. :dontknow: