Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Imagine if he had gone for the shot, and scored - had he remembered to bring the Spiderman mask with him? If he had, and if he had scored, it would have been one of the greatest last minute goal + celebration combinations ever in the history of football. Beats a hairy chested Ryan Giggs twirling his shirt in the air for sure.

It makes me smile just thinking about it.

He has played really well the last few games and probably our only player who could make a run like that at the end. I know he made wrong choice at the end but anyone else and they would of been to tired to even move. I would love to see the distances that our players run during a game.

I wonder who runs the furthest between Jonas and Nolan?   :lol:

It's not much of a point given that Nolan has arguably been far more effective.

That must be why Albion's midfielders pissed all over us tonight. Nolan's all action performance surely put them to shame!!

Not to get all Allardyce on it but the Fantasy league stats say Guthrie is hammering him on assists....

http://fantasy.football-league.co.uk/playerlist.aspx

Even though Guthrie has played less games.

Ryan Taylor has only one less assist and twice as many goals, and no-one's praising him too much.

You don't think he brings any advantages other than assists and goals?  He takes so much pressure of us by bringing the ball out of defence, he's always putting doubt in the minds of defenders who end up backing off or giving away free kicks, he normally has two players on him so we should have space to exploit elsewhere etc.

People are saying he's bailed out/helped by Enrique but would Enrique be as good without Jonas in front of him?

He brings many advantages and given our squad I'd name him in the first 11 every time.

The problem is he shows so much quality...and so little end product.

Jonas was fucking awesome and fucking shit tonight. Did some awesome things and some shocking. Unfortunately his brain is a second or so slower from him being a top class player.

:thup:

Continues to be good at getting there and shite at doing something useful when he does.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geordiekev

I'm sick of hearing shit about Jonas and his end product, ffs he's been involved in best part of the goals this season in one way or another. Take his runs out of the equation and we most certainly not be in the position we are now, put a striker in who has half as much commitment as him and we would be flying away on goal differance.

People forget how good Jonas looked at times last yearm when he had fully fit Oba and Owen running in front of him. If we surround him with other dangerous mobile players, he will suddenly become a much more effective player.

Correct. His end product is erratic but if we have a couple of other players who are going to need attention it will stop him being our only out ball and therefore teams won't put 2/3 men on him and he will have more space to get at the FB and he has the beating of most RBs in this division.

Enrique and Jonas has given us stacks of points at home this season. I wouldn't sell either of them at the moment, unless it were for stupid stupid money. They're just too valuable.

And besides - some people probably won't admit this - but he's improved over the last couple of months too. His attitude still waines into down-right laziness at times, and i can't say i'm hugely looking forward to seeing how his game adapts without Jose, but he is - undoubtedly - a key player at the moment.

I hope van Basten's an attacking full-back.

People forget how good Jonas looked at times last yearm when he had fully fit Oba and Owen running in front of him. If we surround him with other dangerous mobile players, he will suddenly become a much more effective player.

I remember how good he looked, I also remember how shit he actually was last season. I believe he got 3 assists last year, utterly woeful given the players he had in front of him.

His end product has been far more useful this year in a significantly inferior league, much like shola. Don't get me wrong, he's been essential this year but let's not re-write last season.

I remember how good he looked, I also remember how s*** he actually was last season. I believe he got 3 assists last year, utterly woeful given the players he had in front of him.

His end product has been far more useful this year in a significantly inferior league, much like shola. Don't get me wrong, he's been essential this year but let's not re-write last season.

I'm talking about that little period in December, where we looked a very good side and dominated Stoke and Portsmouth. That period ended with Oba getting a groin injury and us being destroyed by Liverpool at SJP. Our better attacking players were pretty much injured or half-fit from that point on in the season, and before that as well, tbh. It was often Shola or Carrol up there otherwise.

That 3 assists was more than anybody else in the team, no?

Last season was an embarrasing right off - not fair to use it as a yardstick for a player playing his first season in English football.

At the end of the day Jonas is one of our best players, and for now atleast I think the criticisms need to be stopped a bit.

I remember how good he looked, I also remember how s*** he actually was last season. I believe he got 3 assists last year, utterly woeful given the players he had in front of him.

I'm talking about that little period in December, where we looked a very good side and dominated Stoke and Portsmouth. That period ended with Oba getting a groin injury and us being destroyed by Liverpool at SJP. Our better attacking players were pretty much injured or half-fit from that point on in the season, and before that as well, tbh. It was often Shola or Carrol up there otherwise.

Against Stoke he had a good first half (set up the opener) but played centre mid second half after Guthrie's injury and was useless. He didn't know how to play through the middle at all and was shocking. I don't really remember him doing anything against pompey all game either although he did play the short pass to Owen for his goal.

Like I say, he's been good this season but let's not re-invent last year.

The way we lined up at the start of that second half (in the Stoke game). :lol: :doh:

God bless you, Joe Kinnear. :no:

Given

S.Taylor  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Beye    Gutierrez  Butt      N'Zogbia

Owen  Martins

something like that wasn't it?

Against Stoke he had a good first half (set up the opener) but played centre mid second half after Guthrie's injury and was useless. He didn't know how to play through the middle at all and was shocking. I don't really remember him doing anything against pompey all game either although he did play the short pass to Owen for his goal.

Like I say, he's been good this season but let's not re-invent last year.

That might have had something to do with Kinnear's brain fart to play Beye on the right wing as well though. Hardly going to help a player to adapt last minute to a new position if the guy next to him is also suddenly operating in a completely different area of the pitch he is used to.

That 3 assists was more than anybody else in the team, no?

Not more than Guthrie tbf.

Thought I'd pull it up, aye, here's our top assisters in the League last year:

Geremi 3

Jonás Gutiérrez  3

Danny Guthrie       3

Mark Viduka      2

Kevin Nolan      2

Obafemi Martins    2

Jose Enrique    2

Claudio Cacapa    1

Damien Duff    1

Nicky Butt   1