Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Guest Stephen927

Leaving for Champions League football is such a bollocks excuse especially when going to a club like Olympiakos which won't make it past the group stages.

He was one of our better players, all he didnt have was the final product. You can debate whether thats fully him or lack of movement from our fowards.

In terms of keeping pressure on the opposition, driving us out of defence etc he was one of our best players.

Leaving for Champions League football is such a bollocks excuse especially when going to a club like Olympiakos which won't make it past the group stages.

Theres quite a large number of obvious benefits to playing in a side like olympiakos compared to a side in the championship ?

He was one of our better players, all he didnt have was the final product. You can debate whether thats fully him or lack of movement from our fowards.

In terms of keeping pressure on the opposition, driving us out of defence etc he was one of our best players.

Given that he can't get a cross into the penalty area from the wing I don't think he's at the stage of being able to blame the movement.

He was s**** man. Can't cross and ends up losing the ball almost everytime he gets it. Didn't even look quick.

And yet he still managed to be more useful than Shola, R Taylor and Nolan and looked decidely more capable than Colo who had a few moments of looking like a lost kitten.

He didn't end losing the ball every time, you've been watching someone else or you've got a bollock ache about him for some other reason.

He was barely average on Saturday but still better then the other 4. As uninterested as he may be right now, we'll be a much weaker team without him.

Given that he can't get a cross into the penalty area from the wing I don't think he's at the stage of being able to blame the movement.

I blame the tactics for this. Why on earth we persist in playing Jonas at LW I'll never figure. He's right footed, and can't cross with his left.  Then we have left-footed Duff on the right wing, and people wonder why we produce nothing from the flanks?

Get Duff on the left, get Jonas on the right. I'm not saying this will definitely sort things out but give it 4 or 5 games (Which I think we're yet to see since we signed Jonas) and then let's see if we've still got no end product.

Guest Stephen927

Theres quite a large number of obvious benefits to playing in a side like olympiakos compared to a side in the championship ?

I'm not disputing that, I just think it's a bollocks excuse.

If we get anything more than £5m for him then it's a good deal. He had a few opportunities crossing the ball in with his right foot from the left flank on Saturday and it was still disappointing, playing him on the opposite flank won't suddenly turn him into a good crosser of the ball.

Jonas would be the first to tell you he much prefers playing on the left and cutting in, he just isn't very good at it.

I blame the tactics for this. Why on earth we persist in playing Jonas at LW I'll never figure. He's right footed, and can't cross with his left.  Then we have left-footed Duff on the right wing, and people wonder why we produce nothing from the flanks?

Get Duff on the left, get Jonas on the right. I'm not saying this will definitely sort things out but give it 4 or 5 games (Which I think we're yet to see since we signed Jonas) and then let's see if we've still got no end product.

I think this is exactly the point with him, no end product on the left. You can't argue that he scares the hell out of the opposition when he is running with the ball, try him on the right or behing a striker. If he is still useless then give up on him.

For a 4-4-2 Jonas should just be on the right when Duff's playing, but if Kazenga plays i'd keep Jonas on the left because he does work well with Enrique and it's probably better for Colo to have those 2 near him etc. I don't think Jonas' best position is winger tbh, i think he'd be much more effective playing behind 2 strikers as his short passing is pretty good and he'd open up a lot of space for the strikers with his dribbling.

I think we need to keep him, but if he's needing a "better" team to get back into the National squad, it's hard to really begrudge a move.

I think he's got a lot of unfair critisism, he's one of the only players we have that will run his arse off going forward, and still manage to run back and defend.  People like fatty nolan just stop on the spot and watch the world go by, no effort at all.

Yeah I noticed that, and this:

I believe if I play well in the Champions League then Maradona is going to take a look at me.

Take a look at him?, that makes no sense at all for a player who's already in the team :lol:

Yeah I noticed that, and this:

I believe if I play well in the Champions League then Maradona is going to take a look at me.

Take a look at him?, that makes no sense at all for a player who's already in the team :lol:

Been left out of the latest squad hasn't he?

Plus, I think he means Maradona will be able to watch him in action if he went to a CL team.

There is a point if we have nobody of any quality to replace him.  Its all fine and well to complain he can't cross or shoot, but if we replace him with a reserve player who can't cross, shoot, beat a player or stretch the opposition then we're in an even worse position.